Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 AM

23 posts, read 59,294 times

Advertisements

My family of 3 is looking for a new home. We're a lesbian couple with an 8 year old daughter from Alabama and we don't belong here.

We want to move to a city with good internet, good food, in an area where we will be more comfortable than Alabama. We are an unschooling family, so a state in which we could homeschool (and unschool specifically) is important to us.

We DO care about:
  1. Decent Internets: Cable available, Wifi at restaurants
  2. Able to Unschool
  3. Good food (good sushi would be nice)
  4. Safety, especially women and LGBT saftey
  5. Cooler climate (than Alabama for sure)
  6. Not a large occurrence of natural disasters (We're tired of being scared of the sky for 6 months a year)
  7. Peace and Quiet (Being able to sit in my house and NOT hear outside sounds, other families)

We DO NOT care about:
  • Bars, alcohol, partying
  • Sunshine, outdoors, etc. (We'd be fine with Portland's weather.)
  • Sports
  • Commute, jobs (we're authors, work from home)

We would LIKE:
  • Any decent gaming community
  • LGBT inclusive/accepting
  • More Progressive, Blue rather than Red
  • Fun stuff to do with the kiddo (Museums, parks, etc.)

We are considering a move next Spring (preferably by March). The budget is a little up in the air because with our work, the money can increase over time. We're looking at a minimum of $48,000 (yearly) by the time we move, but it could be $60,000 or more.

So I'd like to get a variety of options considering those ranges.

I.e. Good places to move at around $48,000, good places at around $55k, and good at around $60k.

That said, we are *really* thrifty, but we're also really used to a low cost-of-living area (Jasper, Alabama).

So basically, my query is this. Is Portland a good match for us?
Or should I look somewhere else? (Suggestions?)

I started this search a couple of years ago when we first started looking for a new place to move to. Then we had way less in way of finances, but we were told to check into Portland due to our wants and situation. We checked, we love the look of it. But then we see a lot of REALLY negative threads of people talking about how awful it is and how it's too expensive... I'm not sure. I have a friend in Portland and she LOVES it and insists we would love it there.

My current plan is to take us out there, live in a hotel on weekly rates until we find a place, and then move in.
We will have at least 3 months worth of full living-expenses money saved up before we go. (Plus moving expenses).
We plan to drive there in a vehicle big enough to bring our belongings. (We're not bringing a lot.)
We plan to buy new things there rather than bringing most things.

I know I'm forgetting something vital, but I will add more info if I think of anything.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by Arshness; 08-20-2015 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:28 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Parts of Upstate NY may work.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,237 times
Portland sounds like it would be great for you. I'd recommend Denver and Minneapolis for sure. Seattle and Chicago might be more expensive than you want to go, but they would both be good options as well.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arshness View Post
[*]Not a large occurrence of natural disasters (We're tired of being scared of the sky for 6 months a year)
Trading for being scared of the earth and the ocean?

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

Old 08-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Of course, just as I predicted, NOW I think of something else I should have added to that top post. Man I wish they let you edit posts here.

Do WANT: At least Medical Marijuana law would be nice. Recreational preferred, hence Oregon as a solid option. I have depression, anxiety, and chronic pain, and I've always wanted to try MJ as an alternative to the Pharma options that don't work for me. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Parts of Upstate NY may work.
Really? What parts?
I have never thought of myself as someone who might ever live in New York. But all I really know about is New York, New York, so there is that.

Quote:
Portland sounds like it would be great for you. I'd recommend Denver and Minneapolis for sure. Seattle and Chicago might be more expensive than you want to go, but they would both be good options as well.
That is good to hear. Even given the numbers I'm spouting?

Denver? I'll have to look into that. I don't know anything about Denver really.
Minneapolis either.

I'd already moved my sights from Seattle to Portland a few years ago for that very reason, so I think I'll agree if Chicago is comparable. Thank you for all the advice here.

Quote:
Trading for being scared of the earth and the ocean?

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker
At least it's a change.
I've read that article, talked it over with my friends in Portland, looked at more articles, figured out that if I move to Portland, I want to live on the East side, and yes, I'll take a chance to be somewhere I'll be happy for a thing that may never happen. I'll just also be prepared.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:35 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,093,890 times
Kinda looks like you have your heart set on Portland. For the most part, your criteria fits Portland to a tee.

I think at 60k, you can still find a house in the up and coming Montavilla District. You may have to house someone in your basement. The houses aren't big, though.

The Unicorn Inn is an affordable weekly rate motel. The neighborhood is a little sketchy. The fact that a local charity drops off food into the lobby on Thursdays may help you out in a pinch.

Portland is known for its park system.

One drawback may be the income tax rates. However, there's no sales tax.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Kinda looks like you have your heart set on Portland. For the most part, your criteria fits Portland to a tee.

I think at 60k, you can still find a house in the up and coming Montavilla District. You may have to house someone in your basement. The houses aren't big, though.

The Unicorn Inn is an affordable weekly rate motel. The neighborhood is a little sketchy. The fact that a local charity drops off food into the lobby on Thursdays may help you out in a pinch.

Portland is known for its park system.

One drawback may be the income tax rates. However, there's no sales tax.
I could never live with a stranger in the house. I have specific circumstances that make that unviable.

I don't know the income tax rates, and I need to figure them out.
My biggest concern right now is simply understanding the cost of living.

And I have no idea what parts of Upstate NY to look at as an alternative.
I know nothing about Denver or the other places suggested (except Seattle, but I'm more set on Portland than Seattle at this point.)

Old 08-21-2015, 05:58 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
I could never live with a stranger in the house. I have specific circumstances that make that unviable.

I don't know the income tax rates, and I need to figure them out.
My biggest concern right now is simply understanding the cost of living.

And I have no idea what parts of Upstate NY to look at as an alternative.
I know nothing about Denver or the other places suggested (except Seattle, but I'm more set on Portland than Seattle at this point.)
In terms of Upstate NY, the Ithaca area came to mind. Ithaca is a college town that has a liberal vibe and can offer enough to do, while allowing you to get to a quiet environment in a short time. It is a small area. So, that may or may not be an issue.

Select areas/communities in the bigger metros may also work.

Also, another place that came to mind is Ann Arbor MI. Its proximity to Detroit for more things to do, its liberal/college town vibe and that it fits most, if not all of your criteria, could be a place to consider.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:42 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,237 times
Quote:
Denver? I'll have to look into that. I don't know anything about Denver really.
Minneapolis either.
Denver and Minneapolis are very very similar to both Seattle and Portland, and they are both cheaper than Portland. Denver obviously has the more relaxed marijuana legislation but medical is legal in Minneapolis and recreational is mostly decriminalized. Both are less at risk of natural disaster than anywhere on the West Coast. Minneapolis has a LOT in common with Portland, especially politics, bike culture, and arts and music, and I would say it has better museums, better parks, and probably more "family-demographic" stuff generally (and again it's less expensive). Denver I don't know quite as intimately. It has a little less directly in common with Portland, but it does feel like Western city.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:56 PM

638 posts, read 623,374 times
Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.