Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:29 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times

Advertisements

Most cities not on the coasts will have neighborhoods with homes in that price range. I doubt you will find anything particularly good, you will likely find crime, poverty, and other undesirable things. There are 30-40 homes in my city under $40k, half are livable, but bad neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
You could look into Shipping Container Homes:
24 Breathtaking Homes Made from.. $1800 Shipping Containers | Organics

or even cheaper(shipping container homes may be made out of 1800 dollar shipping containers, but the end result while still cheaper then it would to buy a house in many places will be significantly higher) but smaller, Tiny House route that has been growing across various cities in the US
Impressive Tiny Houses - Small House Plans

http://www.diyhousebuilding.com/tiny-house-cost.html

http://www.gizmag.com/home-tiny-house-build/32035/

A lot of these homes, are while not spacious, still aesthetically pleasing and are not in areas where you might have issues such as crime.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 08-24-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-24-2015, 01:21 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
You could look into Shipping Container Homes:
24 Breathtaking Homes Made from.. $1800 Shipping Containers | Organics

or even cheaper(shipping container homes may be made out of 1800 dollar shipping containers, but the end result while still cheaper then it would to buy a house in many places will be significantly higher) but smaller, Tiny House route that has been growing across various cities in the US
Impressive Tiny Houses - Small House Plans

Our Tiny House Cost Breakdown

A lot of these homes, are while not spacious, still aesthetically pleasing and are not in areas where you might have issues such as crime.
We just had the "Tiny Homes Jamboree 2015" in Colorado Springs a few weeks ago. Hard to believe, but many of these pre-manufactured 200sf homes are starting at $50k.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Funny you mention this... I've been sending her screen shots of all the responses.. And been doing research of my own.. Told her she'd be better off bumping her home search payment up to $75k-$100k and putting down $30k for a low low mortgage and a much better house.

She did say that ideally she wants to be near good schools so when she has kids down the road she won't have to move.

Where can she buy a home for $75k that is in a decent school zone? Anywhere in the U.S....
This help her or those looking for something similar: Property Search Results

Old 08-25-2015, 07:18 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Doing what you suggest (using her 30K as a deposit and bumping up to 75K or so) will give her a LOT more choice for a decent house. I see now from your subsequent posts that she is a younger person so of course the likes of Sun City, etc. type places would not be for her.

I would second the posts of people who suggested Texas. The Gulf Coast area (south of Houston along the coast) has many small towns where she could find what she's looking for. Also East Texas - Tyler, Longview, Marshall, all this area. And last and prettiest, the Hill Country, where she could probably not find anything for her 75K. I do not know anything much about west Texas but there are tons of places out that way that would give her what she's looking for. There is another town called Killeen, Texas, which is home to an army base, so people are always coming and going there. I found a number of good reasonably priced homes there. It is in what I would call central Texas, south of Ft. Worth and Dallas.

It's fun trying to spend someone else's money!

Old 08-25-2015, 07:50 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I suggest looking in Iowa or elsewhere in the great plains for a depopulated farm town.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
My buddy was a professional house sitter and lived for free. Wouldnt that make more sense.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:37 PM

174 posts, read 189,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Is there a safe part of Detroit? She hopes to settle down... And right now has concerns about living alone in an unsafe area.
You don't want to live in Detroit city proper, not so much because it's not safe, but because of the property tax rate, which just a few years ago was the highest in the state (I see that Ecorse, right next door, is now smoking more crack). Couple that with unfair assessments, a city income tax, and probably the highest auto insurance rates in the country, and you won't be finding yourself saving a lot of money. A couple years ago you could've gotten a fairly nice house in the bordering suburbs (Redford, Westland, Wayne, Warren) for $30K, but property values are starting to come back somewhat, and for $30K you're probably looking a fixer-upper now.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:05 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
What about one of those tiny homes? HG TV has been featuring them lately. Cheapest I've seen was $18,000, but until they get the bathroom situation fixed I doubt I'd personally look into getting one.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
I looked into containers etc quite a bit for a while. They end up costing more than you think, even the cheapest ones. Especially in terms of getting it put together the way you want, and then all the charges with permits and electrical/plumbing work in addition to your lot costs. Also: I wouldn't go container. You never know what was stored there. Often dangerous chemicals, and the wood can be saturated with that/them.

Basically, you can find a house at this price in 1) bad, dangerous urban areas and 2) depressed, depopulated rural/farm towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.