U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 12:01 AM

1,582 posts, read 4,291,769 times

Advertisements

For a developed country, Americans don't necessarily have one of the longest life expectancies. Of course there are many Americans who live well in there 80s, 90s & beyond- but other Western countries have longer life expectancies. Likely partly because of our diverse demographics of economic/ social disparities, eating habits & relatively stressful, fast paced existence. And our medical care system being not as accessible to the overall public, although our technologies are probably the best in the Western world.

However, I've heard those from Hawaii, Upper Midwest & Great Plains states have higher than average life expectancies. What other states do you think do as well, & why? And which states do you think have the lowest American life expectancy rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:04 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,661,713 times
I would think it would be more rural areas, since there's not typically as much pollution, and urban life can cause stress on the body.

I don't know, though.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:22 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,124,116 times
http://www.census.gov/population/pro...s/MethTab2.xls. Takes awhile to load.

According to this spreadsheet the longest life expectancy is in Hawaii at 79.8 years. Likely goes with what STL said about a low stress environment.

The shortest life expectancy is in Mississippi at only 73.7 years. Probably a combination of having a high percentage of blacks (generally lower life expectancies), high poverty rates, poor eating habits (leading to other ailments), and lack of medical care.

DC has a very low life expectancy of 72.6 years, probably due to the fact the DC is primarily African-American, high-paced, high-stressed environment.

It's odd that the range of life expectancies WITHIN the United States is 7 years. Really proves that quality of life in the United States is NOT even from place to place.

High life expectancies: Hawaii (79.8 years), Minnesota (79.1 years), North Dakota (78.7 years), Iowa (78.5 years), New Hampshire (78.5 years) - oddly enough, all states with an extremely low African-American population.

Low life expectancies: District of Columbia (72.6 years), Mississippi (73.7 years), Louisiana (74.4 years), South Carolina (74.9 years), Tennessee/West Virginia (75 years). All areas/states with an extremely high African-American poulation (exception being West Virginia).

Last edited by miamiman; 01-27-2008 at 12:32 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:08 AM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Thanks, miamiman. These kind of questions are not matters of opinion. They are verifiable facts. However, I think the reason the upper midwest has such a high life expectancy is that there is a large concentration of people of Scandinavianan ancestry there. It is well known that for some reason, Scandinavians live longer. My father-in-law, full-blooded Swede, lived to be 97. His grandmother lived to be 101. I'm not sure if the demographers, etc, know why this is, but it is. Some of those southern states have high rates of smoking an obesity, regardless of race. Race and racism is known to affect life expectancy. And while it's true the Hawaii does not have a large AA population (from what I've seen anyway), its population is very diverse. Must be all that pineapple!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-27-2008 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,460,459 times
Which states have the longest life expectancies? Well, I'm sure they don't call Florida, "Gods waiting room" for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or