Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times

Advertisements

It's not so much taking away a right to smoke... it has a lot to do with a persons right to breathe healthy clean air that won't pose the risk of cancer down the road. I know what you're saying STL but I can't agree with you less. People can smoke at home or in private places... but the fact that it puts people at a higher risk of cancer and we still have public places that allow it in 2008 blows my mind. Maybe I'm so firm on this because I've had family members die of cancer including my father when I was 13.

I don't want to get into a heated argument by any means... but I love the progress cities and states are making with these bans.

all just imho though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2eire View Post
Most: New York, Vegas, LA
Least: Phoenix, even though it smells like it there.
Why does Phoenix smell like smoke? I haven't been there yet but what do you mean?

Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
You're entitled to your opinion, I just don't think eliminating smoking in public entirely is necessary. Sorry about your father, though. My Grandfather smokes. I hate that he does because its dangerous, but he and my great Aunt have a right to smoke in public if they want to, although my grandfather usually goes outside to smoke.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We each understand each other's point, but we don't agree. I guess that's why we live in a democracy.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We each understand each other's point, but we don't agree. I guess that's why we live in a democracy.
Haha, amen!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I still think people have a right to smoke. I do not smoke, but I still think people have a right to.
Yeah, well what about my right to breath in clean air and not get lung cancer from second hand smoke? As they say, the freedom to extend your fist goes only as far as my nose.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 PM

167 posts, read 213,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Why does Phoenix smell like smoke? I haven't been there yet but what do you mean?
Pollution...

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM

Ahh k. So kind of like gasoline/factory-ish smoke then.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM

189 posts, read 219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Non-smoking sections and smoking sections wouldn't really do anything imo, what about employees??
( I'm not about to debate the issue either )

WHAT employees? Example- A bar in Lexington,Ky has built an outdoor pavillion. Customers pass through a 'hallway' to the bartender station and order their own drinks if going out onto the patio. There is no waitstaff outside. I was at that bar last year. There were 6 people inside where there was seating for about 100. The patio area was full, about 10 tables. I saw both barmaids 'on break' come out to the patio to smoke. One girl told me there used to be 6-7 employees on duty before the changes. And that all the employees were smokers. She was happy that she didn't come home covered w/ smoke anymore, but said alot of former customers just go to a liquor store and 'party' at their homes now. Big loss in bar income, jobs and wages (tips) since. She said in winter, colder days there is no business at all at the bar.
One of the patrons inside went outside to join friends, then complained of the smoke outside. He seemed happy to have something to complain about and was too lonesome inside the smoke-free building.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM

downthathighway-

I think you make a good point with your example, even though that may not be the case everywhere. I think there could be exceptions made for some bar owners, I see what people are saying there... but I guess my main focus is family restaurants, college campuses, near hospital entrances (yep seriously I encountered this) ....

Maybe I'm being unrealistic.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
( I'm not about to debate the issue either )

WHAT employees? Example- A bar in Lexington,Ky has built an outdoor pavillion. Customers pass through a 'hallway' to the bartender station and order their own drinks if going out onto the patio. There is no waitstaff outside. I was at that bar last year. There were 6 people inside where there was seating for about 100. The patio area was full, about 10 tables. I saw both barmaids 'on break' come out to the patio to smoke. One girl told me there used to be 6-7 employees on duty before the changes. And that all the employees were smokers. She was happy that she didn't come home covered w/ smoke anymore, but said alot of former customers just go to a liquor store and 'party' at their homes now. Big loss in bar income, jobs and wages (tips) since. She said in winter, colder days there is no business at all at the bar.
One of the patrons inside went outside to join friends, then complained of the smoke outside. He seemed happy to have something to complain about and was too lonesome inside the smoke-free building.
I think in many areas having smoke free bars and restaurants would have a short term negative effect on business, but I can't see it having any long term serious effects. If smokers want to go out and eat and/or drink they are not likely to stay home just because they can't smoke inside. One of my closest friends smokes over a pack a day and he still goes out to bars that don't allow any smoking inside along with those that do. While I was visiting family in Cleveland (where I grew up) which has a smoking ban in bars and restaurants I went to a few bars and they were just as packed full as I remeber them being the last time I visited (before the ban). Now what I'd really like to see is a drug store or a gas station that doesn't sell cigarrettes. That would be cool. Needless to say I'm all about smoke free places. I'm more apt to go out when I know it's smoke free. I still go to all kinds of bars/restaurants, but the bar I frequent the most is smoke free indoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.