Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 AM

577 posts, read 669,608 times

Advertisements

US states are definitely easier than UK counties, regardless of where you're from, as the states are divided into (generally) quite recognizable shapes. Also, people are more used to seeing USA maps with the states defined. England counties, haven't a clue outside a couple like Devon and Cornwall and maybe Norfolk.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 09:20 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I actually think they did a decent job. Only English counties I could identify are London and Kent. I knew Surrey and Essex were near London and Yorkshire in the north around York, but couldn't place them. The rest, no clue.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:51 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
# states that showed up almost everytime.
1. Florida
2. California
3. Texas
A lot seemed to know where Arizona and Hawaii where the kept putting NYC in Delaware.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:18 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
I laugh every time I look at those maps. I think New Mexico owes its surprising recall level to Breaking Bad.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
I liked the ones where people declared one or more states to be a body of water, and the one where Wisconsin was Canada.

For the folks who managed to three or more states that aren't Alaska, Hawaii, Massachusetts, California! Texas, New York, or Florida, Congratulations!

Old 08-29-2015, 02:31 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
US states are definitely easier than UK counties, regardless of where you're from, as the states are divided into (generally) quite recognizable shapes. Also, people are more used to seeing USA maps with the states defined. England counties, haven't a clue outside a couple like Devon and Cornwall and maybe Norfolk.
Indeed. After Cornwall I'd be lost. Suffolk is the only other one I even know is a county.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
The thing about English counties, though, is that they really don't have any meaning anymore. They're merely ceremonial historic regions that hold no governmental significance today. England is a unitary state (and geographically small, at that), so I think it's within reason for Americans to have less of an understanding of all of the ceremonial counties than it is for the English (or Brits in general) to make a distinction between huge states in an enormous federal union like the US, where state boundaries do matter.

It would be like people from California having an understanding of the counties of New England states like Connecticut, Rhode Island, or Massachusetts — many of which no longer have any local governmental power.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
I laughed at Montana being called Narnia.

Smily face for PA right next to sad face for OH

I especially loved the one that said Texas and called Oklahoma Texas Hat.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:44 PM

124 posts, read 147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I wonder how many Americans could place these locales on a map of England. I bet not very many, in fact I could only place some of them. These maps are funny for us to look at, but I wonder if they asked some Americans to do it for Britain as well. Maybe right now they are laughing at our attempt as well. In all reality it is only the real geography nerd who memorizes the states, provinces, territories, counties etc. of other nations by heart. Most people in any country cannot do that. Now when we see Americans who cannot find Austria on a map, or Romania on a map we should be ashamed. If they cannot find Sussex I think we can forgive them.
Well I like England. Berkshire is where the beautiful Winslet was born, Essex or Hertofordshire is where the main London airport is, and Warwickshire is where Shakespeare is from. I couldn't even place all the New Jersey counties in my own metro area cause it's too complicated but I could probably name them all (if naming south New Jersey counties by accident is allowed). New Jersey's county map looks like England, even down to the names.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:00 PM

124 posts, read 147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
#

A lot seemed to know where Arizona and Hawaii where the kept putting NYC in Delaware.
Maybe cause the states in that area are the smallest so they think it must be the most densely populated part? Rhode Island is the smallest (except maybe the piece of Virginia hanging off of Maryland) but maybe they know that's New England (and too close to Boston). I think Gotham City of Batman and Metropolis from Superman are on Delaware Bay. They're not real, lol. But Gotham is a nickname for New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.