Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,801,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
OK, I know I'm generalizing here but it's interesting to ask the question...
Yes, you most definitely are generalizing, in fact, over-generalizing to the point that it makes YOUR point null and void. When you have had the experience of working with people from all walks of life in each of the 50 states in the U.S. and have a valid point to make, please DO come back and let us know, ya hear?

Quote:
I love the US and this isn't intended as anything more than a little bit of light "ribbing" :-)

Interested to get your thoughts.
Sorry, however much you would like to veil your criticisms under the guise of only a "little light ribbing", they are, in fact, insults to any of us that have an ounce of intelligence, regardless of what country we're from. And as far as being interested in our thoughts, well, that's certainly far from the truth as well... so noted by your next post (included below) and your comments regarding the replies you had already received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I don't buy it. My thoughts? You spent a lot of time bashing America, under the guise of light "ribbing".
Exactly!

Quote:
My next post is going to be "Why do Americans take themselves so seriously?"

My kids are Americans and I choose to live here, it's a question of genuine interest to me. Maybe you need to have lived somewhere else to have enough perspective to answer anything other than "SHUT UP AMERICA RULES!!!" LOL
Right... I truly wonder myself sometimes how it is we became so dense, and never travelled, and never interacted, and never lived anywhere else... and most of all, never acquired enough of those perspectives you speak of... it must be a true talent of ours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I don't think Americans mean to be offensive or even realize that the way they come across to people from other countries might seem arrogant.
Bay, I "get" that you're simply trying to be politically correct here... however, when rude and offensive comments are made as these have been... which they - in truth - ARE as was intended... we all have the right to be duly offended, especially when it's simply "another one of those" that enjoy stirring the pot for their own amusement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
OK, I know I'm generalizing here but it's interesting to ask the question. Here is what I mean. I've lived and worked in several English speaking countries in a fairly technical role and of all the English speaking countries I have experience of:
  • US
  • UK
  • Ireland
  • Australia
  • Canada
I find that Americans have the hardest time dealing with the unfamiliar. Here's what I mean with some examples....
It just be that way.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Well that's offensive. If you live in America then why all the negativity and judgment? I think Satx said it best, we don't need to adapt - if you come in this country then YOU need to adapt. That's a sore spot with all of us because of all these non-English speaking illegal immigrants taking over our country - adapt or get out!! Not a hard concept and it's the exact same way in any other country you mentioned so I don't see what you are griping about.

Petty stuff imo. And I KNOW I got an "accent", come to the South and I'll learn ya.

And "press one for English" really chaps my hide!!!
As Larry the Cable Guy said, "What button do I press to get people to learn English?"

Seriously, I'd never move to another country or even visit and not learn some of the lingo beforehand.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Bay, I "get" that you're simply trying to be politically correct here... however, when rude and offensive comments are made as these have been... which they - in truth - ARE as was intended... we all have the right to be duly offended, especially when it's simply "another one of those" that enjoy stirring the pot for their own amusement!
I wasn't "trying" to be politically correct or anything else, just expressing my honest opinion, which as an American it's my right to do. And of course you have the right to not agree and be offended by the OP's observations about Americans. That's why, as they say, "It's a free country."

Old 09-10-2015, 12:19 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
As Larry the Cable Guy said, "What button do I press to get people to learn English?"

Seriously, I'd never move to another country or even visit and not learn some of the lingo beforehand.
As an English speaker from the U.S. who moved to a foreign country sixteen years ago, I have to say that it would knock your socks off to meet the number of similar folks who have never bothered with the new language -- they never bothered with the language before moving, and they resist it after arriving. Americans are only used to Hispanics sticking with their first language, but in my observation English speakers who relocate do it with a vengeance.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:29 PM

233 posts, read 250,630 times
In my opinion, the truth is, many Americans are simply lazy and expect others to adapt to them. That's fine, if in country...but when they travel this attitude often persists.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:38 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
I think one possible reason is that even the seemingly smallest issues become politically polarized. Not that this is the first time in history this has been the case, but it does seem very pronounced as of late.

Also, the sensationalism of the media, becoming more "entertainment" based rather than that of professional journalism, and its way of making small issues seem politically controversial doesn't help, especially those who are more susceptible to falling for propaganda.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:46 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
My next post is going to be "Why do Americans take themselves so seriously?"
Maybe try reading a few things from this BBC site, 'Things Brits Don't Realize Are Offensive To Americans':

10 Things That Brits Don

Criticizing America
"It’s easy to assume that a self-hating American would love nothing more than to spend time with you, a non-American, pulling the place apart. Most, however, do possess a lingering sense of loyalty and will resent an outsider weighing in too heavily."

Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Working in engineering, we tended to deal with metric units when it was appropriate - for instance, where is the vendor located and what units do they use? If your main vendor uses metric units, then the project will be in metric units because it is flat-out stupid to try and split units on a project - it introduces too many sources of error. But if the main vendor uses imperial units (which is still common is US vendors, particularly long-established), then the project will still be in those units. It isn't resistance to change, it is more resistance to expensive massive retooling and trying to cut out sources of error before they occur.

Even when a lot of projects were sent to off-shore vendors/contractors, the designs kept the imperial units because not all of the project was necessarily sent off shore, a lot of parts are multi-source. As newer designs are done and the off-shore mentality persists, then, yes, new designs tend to be in metric, except where custom persists.

A sheet of standard office-size paper, for instance, is still sold as 8.5" x 11" (215.9 mm × 279.4 mm) in the US, so no matter where printers are made, that size will be accommodated. Adjustments are made for printers sold in Europe and Asia to accommodate the standard paper sizes there, like ISO A4.

When I worked in engineering geology, everything was done using metric units - reports, publications, etc. Everyone understood them. But those are sort of the scientific community units, not the popular use units. In medicine pretty much everything is in metric units as well. Not sure I see a public switch over anytime soon, although I do see the decimal units as being far more useful and easy-to-use.

Granted some countries have made massive changes before - Sweden when they went from driving on the left to driving on the right, or in 1971, on Decimal Day, when the English switched from 240 pence in a pound to 100.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
Statement is overrated, do whatever you want.. just don't break the law of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.