Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times

Advertisements

1. Don't run around saying things like "back home ('up north', or 'where I came from') we did this or didn't do that".
2. Don't freak out if someone asks you about church. For most people it's just a social thing, they aren't out to convert you, they just want to make you feel a part of things. It's perfectly ok to turn down an invitation or tell people you aren't a church goer or whatever.
3. Southern hospitality is not the same as wanting to be your bff, it's about manners. Making real friends takes time, just like anywhere else
4. I f people make comment about your accent or call you a yankee it's not automatically an insult, don't be thin skinned about it.
5. If you get a lot of 'bless your heart' thrown at you and it's not because of a setback of some kind ( your dog died, your dinner burned or you broke your leg ) you have probably said or done something ignorant or offensive. See #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 02:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,449,840 times
Seasonally, lot more time to enjoy outdoor interests, worst of the heat 3 months.
Southern specialties popular, but restaurants offer same varying menus. Having other Air Force couples and families to bond with, a plus.
Best Wishes

Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 AM

9,436 posts, read 10,712,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I find it hilarious that people up norh are terrified of the South. I really do. It's so ridiculous.

Yea what do they think they are going to find down here?? The Confederate Army???

Old 09-12-2015, 08:12 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yea what do they think they are going to find down here?? The Confederate Army???
That, or "Strange Fruit" hanging from trees.

Tell ya what, OP - listen to Neil Young's song "Alabama" and then Lynard Skynard's song "Alabama" and tell me which one is more fun to listen to.

Then get your drawl on and enjoy your time in Dixie Land. It's mighty fine down here.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 AM

23,968 posts, read 10,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
He has applied for jobs (he is Air Force) so it will be either GA, VA, AL most likely but don't know for sure.
Start worrying about it when he has orders or a job offer. You are potentially looking at three different cultures

Old 09-12-2015, 02:09 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,357,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I find it hilarious that people up norh are terrified of the South. I really do. It's so ridiculous.
I mean really, it totally shows their ignorance and absurd stupidity.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:12 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,899,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
People are same everywhere. So, if you aren't acting like NE snob, they will warm up to you sooner or later.
What if you tell that you dont believe in God when they ask what church you go to?

Old 09-12-2015, 02:34 PM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What if you tell that you dont believe in God when they ask what church you go to?
Their mouths will fall open causing the hay straw to fall out, then they'll hitch up their overalls and run away screaming foul curses and hurling damnations at you, you spawn of the devil, you!
Having a hard time believing people are serious with this stuff, jeez.

Old 09-12-2015, 02:44 PM

23,968 posts, read 10,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What does going to church have to do with believing in God?
Be pleasant. Say that you are not religious but would love to come to the BBQ.
Actually - you will be the main attraction. Slow roasted atheist with lots of sauce. Seconds anyone?

Old 09-13-2015, 03:14 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,131,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
1. Don't run around saying things like "back home ('up north', or 'where I came from') we did this or didn't do that".
2. Don't freak out if someone asks you about church. For most people it's just a social thing, they aren't out to convert you, they just want to make you feel a part of things. It's perfectly ok to turn down an invitation or tell people you aren't a church goer or whatever.
3. Southern hospitality is not the same as wanting to be your bff, it's about manners. Making real friends takes time, just like anywhere else
4. If people make comment about your accent or call you a yankee it's not automatically an insult, don't be thin skinned about it.
5. If you get a lot of 'bless your heart' thrown at you and it's not because of a setback of some kind ( your dog died, your dinner burned or you broke your leg ) you have probably said or done something ignorant or offensive. See #1
All of these are excellent advice. With regard to #2, if you're not a Christian, just say "I'm just not much on going to church," and you'll be fine. But don't make some worn-out negative comment about "organized religion", and definitely don't say "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual." Either of those will get you a fake smile and a "well bless your heart."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A southern lady your mother's age is still called "Miz Betty".
Calling someone "Mister Bob" or "Miss Betty" is a way of showing respect, particularly to folks who have been alive long enough to have done a lot of livin'.

About the way we speak:
In the South, we speak in the passive voice. Northerners think we're too wordy and genteel, and we think yankees are too direct and rude. Chalk it up to differences in communication styles, and perceptions thereof.

"Yankee" is just a harmless identifier, but "damn yankee" is an insult.

"Y'all" is how you address 2 people, "all y'all" refers to a group larger than two. "Yous guys" has no business south of the Line.

And speaking of, tread lightly when speaking about the War of Northern Aggression - there was nothing civil about it.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 09-13-2015 at 03:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.