Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:54 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
It is possible my SO and I might move to the south. This could be exciting, but, I have only lived in New England. The prospect of little or no snow is awesome, but, hot summers has me concerned. Can anybody tell me what it is like? Especially culture, entertainment, pet care, dining out, medical care etc. Anything would be appreciated!! Thanks a zillion
The hot summers will be a challenge to you. I was born in the North Carolina mountains where 80 degrees was considered sweltering. We also had the humidity sometimes with the 80's but we had one summer in Charlotte right after we had just bought our first home and had no money even for a fan and it was miserable. I would straighten out the house first thing in the morning and we would head for the malls to stay cool.

In the mountains, no matter how hot the days got it would cool down at night. Not here. The heat comes and wraps around you and almost chokes you. I live in air conditioning when the weather gets hot. We have lots of windows in our house so it almost seems I am outside. But our temperature inside is 76 in summer and 72 in winter because we have a heat pump.

If you drink alcoholic beverages you will not be invited to our home and our children were not allowed to visit homes where either drugs or alcohol are part of the scene. It is a safety issue for us. Both those are mind altering. We don't prefer to be around people who are out of their minds. I would never tell you that to your face, but most people from the North and West who never adjust are usually drinkers or condescending loud mouths. Good conservative Christians are usually welcomed with open arms.

And drop the SO. We have husbands and wives here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you drink alcoholic beverages you will not be invited to our home and our children were not allowed to visit homes where either drugs or alcohol are part of the scene. It is a safety issue for us. Both those are mind altering. We don't prefer to be around people who are out of their minds. I would never tell you that to your face, but most people from the North and West who never adjust are usually drinkers or condescending loud mouths. Good conservative Christians are usually welcomed with open arms.

Please, you speak only for yourself. Most of the people I know in the south are not like that unless they are coming up on three quarters of a century old.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Southern manners, kind to your face but talk crap behind your back
I keep reading this, and it's just isn't true, maybe it's just the whole not being familiar with a area, so you don't know who the trust, but most people in the south, if they talk about you, they will do it to your face, but for the most part there has to be a reason.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post

Please, you speak only for yourself. Most of the people I know in the south are not like that unless they are coming up on three quarters of a century old.
I think they were being sarcastic

Old 09-15-2015, 02:36 PM

My Bro and tons of other family members are all in the Air Force, if it's in Georgia you guys might end up in Valdosta maybe Warner Robbins but most likely Valdosta(only say that based of knowing a lot of people in the Air Force have to go there while Pope Air Force base in Fayetteville, NC is fazing out and becoming all Fort Bragg. Some of the better spots are the DoD joint bases. If you guys end up at the joint base Charleston I think you will really like it. A bunch of my family members in the Air Force ended up being in either Hampton VA for their job, or DC.

All this said, where ever you do end up, just have a open mind, let go of preconceived notions you may have had of the south, most people who do come here, recognize quickly that it's nothing like they thought it was as far as stereotypes they had in their heads. You get what you give in this world, relax, don't burn no bridges with nobody and you guys will be fine.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:06 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
It must be time to post the official Southern Tourist guidelines.

Rules For Visiting Yankees From the Southern Tourism Bureau:
1. Don’t order pasta primavera at Waffle House. It’s just a diner. They serve breakfast 24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they’ll kick your ***.
2. Don’t laugh at our Southern names (Merleen, Bodie, Ovine, Luther Ray, Tammy Lynn, Darla Beth, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, Clovis, etc.). Or we will just HAVE to kick your ***.
3. Don’t order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it’s called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it’s Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7 Up or whatever-it’s still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an *** kicking.
4. We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you (e.g., Welty, Williams, Faulkner). We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don’t refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies, or we’ll kick your ***.
5. We have plenty of business sense (e.g., Fred Smith of FedEx, Turner Broadcasting, MCI WorldCom, MTV, Netscape). Naturally, we do sometimes, have small lapses in judgment (e.g., Carter, Clinton). We don’t care if you think we are dumb. We are not dumb enough to let someone move to our state in order to run for the Senate. If someone tried to do that, we would kick their ***.
6. Don’t laugh at our Civil War monuments. If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg instead of sending Pickett up the middle, you’d be paying taxes to Richmond instead of Washington. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, we’ll kick your ***.
7. We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the hell up. Just spend your money and get the hell out of here, or we’ll kick your ***.

8. Don’t order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you’re a Yankee. Eat your biscuits like God intended-with gravy. And don’t put sugar on your grits, or we’ll kick your ***.
9. Don’t fake a Southern accent. This will incite a riot, and you will get your *** kicked.
10. Don’t talk about how much better things are at home because we know better. Many of us have visited Northern cesspools like Detroit, Chicago, and DC, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don’t like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Move your *** on home before it gets kicked.
11. Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don’t want to sound like you. We don’t care if you don’t understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that’s all that matters. Now, go away and leave us alone, or we’ll kick your ***.
12. Don’t complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes or rivers have caught fire recently. If you whine about OUR scenic beauty, we’ll kick your *** all the way back to Boston Harbor.
13. Don’t ridicule our Southern manners. We say sir and ma’am. We hold doors open for others. We offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they’ll kick some manners into your *** just like they did ours.
14. So you think we’re quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That’s because we have enough sense to not live in filthy, smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Baltimore. Make fun of our fresh air, and we’ll kick your ***.
15. Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE to come down here and tell us how to barbecue. This will get your *** shot (right after it is kicked). You’re lucky we let you come down here at all. Criticize our barbecue, and you will go home in a pine box. Minus your ***.
\\

I love this, its great I do really agree with number six. Picketts Charge ruined us, its too bad that high ground at big round top was not taken before the Yankees fortified it. We sure could have flanked em. It would have been a whole new war if we had won the battle of Gettysburg. I also agree about stone mountain, if they ever really try and remove the carving ill be there to join the resistance to such a move. Its well worth the couple hours of driving to stand up for our rights.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Southern manners, kind to your face but talk crap behind your back
Then stop giving them something to talk about.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Then stop giving them something to talk about.
Yep, sometimes they are large easy targets.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I don't think most people would have a problem unless they deliberately want to stir the pot.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

This person is speaking for him/herself only. In fact the South in general has some of the highest meth use of any region (not much else to do in some of those small towns). By no means is everyone a "quote-unquote "God-fearing Christian" who judges those who aren't like them.

And same-sex marriage is now legal in all 50 states, including the South. Welcome to 2015.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.