Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 09:38 PM

233 posts, read 248,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomandecker View Post
you see..........

for OUR DAY and TIME this is inexcusable, not sure about the era you're from but I am sharing my issues here to get a resolution for them

If you've been a minority that has actually had to interact with powerful white men that are well connected, you can't just put them in their place, that is one group you do not want to make enemies with.
I did not say that making racist comments was excusable....what I said was that making a HUGE deal about it when others in the recent past had to put up with FAR worse racism, is a bit reactionary. It's called giving you a perspective. History and the past is always important when dealing with issues of the present...or even the future.

And while I may not be a minority as far as my race...I do deal with innuendo and slights on occasion from a nearly 100% female supervisory staff at my place of employment. They can and do burn male employees for sometimes no better reason than because they are male. So I know about power and abuse. If you carry yourself with dignity and self-value...they will pick up on it and generally leave you alone. Life is full of unfair actions from morons...better get used to it wherever you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 11:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,459,731 times
Quote:
you see..........

for OUR DAY and TIME this is inexcusable, not sure about the era you're from but I am sharing my issues here to get a resolution for them

If you've been a minority that has actually had to interact with powerful white men that are well connected, you can't just put them in their place, that is one group you do not want to make enemies with.

Here is the issue. Most whites live in a world where being white is normative, so they do not have to deal with racial issues. So they view racism as a specific incident of bigotry spewed by a particular person who is ignorant and unpleasant. To them such incidence are rare and so those who discuss race must obviously have a chip on their shoulders.

The concept of institutional racism is one that they don't even pretend to know exists........and this is your "powerful white men that are well connected......" that you reference. I know what you mean. They don't.

You seem to be trying to find a region where the whites will be more open to a visibly non white person who is upwardly mobile. So you are curious about finding a region where there is valid acceptance, as this will determine your career prospects, where you will live, and that the social life of your kids might be.

This person, being white NEVER has to worry about this, so is validly confused about why you query this.

What that person needs to learn how to do is to understand that he is NOT in your position, and therefore NOT able to know what life might be like for you, and therefore needs to understand where you are coming from, rather than trying to trivialize your experiences.

Also don't be fooled by those who claim that areas with high numbers of educated people will have less bias. Highly educated people are merely more adept at disguising what they know is politically incorrect behavior.

I will guess that a region with more white transplants might be more open to non white transplants, as they are also "foreign" and trying to negotiate their way in a location where they have few ties. The very adjustments that they go through increase their openness to people who are also undergoing the same. Areas with a lot of "Good Old Boys" will be more cliquish, and less open.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:48 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,459,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plenus View Post
I.I do deal with innuendo and slights on occasion from a nearly 100% female supervisory staff at my place of employment...

Those women work within the context of a white male dominated world, and so you know for a fact that when you tire of them, many other options are open to you. Less so for a non white, who must often weigh which option is "less bad".

So you really don't know, so shouldn't trivialize these comments.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Here is the issue. Most whites live in a world where being white is normative, so they do not have to deal with racial issues. So they view racism as a specific incident of bigotry spewed by a particular person who is ignorant and unpleasant. To them such incidence are rare and so those who discuss race must obviously have a chip on their shoulders.

The concept of institutional racism is one that they don't even pretend to know exists........and this is your "powerful white men that are well connected......" that you reference. I know what you mean. They don't.

You seem to be trying to find a region where the whites will be more open to a visibly non white person who is upwardly mobile. So you are curious about finding a region where there is valid acceptance, as this will determine your career prospects, where you will live, and that the social life of your kids might be.

This person, being white NEVER has to worry about this, so is validly confused about why you query this.

What that person needs to learn how to do is to understand that he is NOT in your position, and therefore NOT able to know what life might be like for you, and therefore needs to understand where you are coming from, rather than trying to trivialize your experiences.

Also don't be fooled by those who claim that areas with high numbers of educated people will have less bias. Highly educated people are merely more adept at disguising what they know is politically incorrect behavior.

I will guess that a region with more white transplants might be more open to non white transplants, as they are also "foreign" and trying to negotiate their way in a location where they have few ties. The very adjustments that they go through increase their openness to people who are also undergoing the same. Areas with a lot of "Good Old Boys" will be more cliquish, and less open.
Long winded...and rather presumptive post.

I don't talk much about my personal life, as it's not the business of this board. But simply because a person is "white" doesn't mean that they are not sensitive to, nor have never experienced racism. It's arrogant and without merit for you to assume some sort of authoritative role in making such judgements.

That being said....my companion of the past 9 years is a wonderful woman. She is a truly great person. She also happens to be very sensitive. Being with her has been the best thing that has ever happened in my life. She has also opened my eyes to a subject that before hand that was not in my direct line of sight. What am I referring to? Well, she immigrated here from Mexico. She has a rather thick accent, and a distinct non-white appearence. As such, she has experienced racism and bigotry in it's many forms. She's told me things that made my temper boil. I've personally witnessed it since I've been with her all these years. Yes, it's disgusting. Being sensitive, I've seen her hiding the hurt that racism causes. She's been in the U.S. a few decades now. When she first came here the insults were far more severe and frequent. It effected her ability to get employed....but she never moved or ran from it. She faced it head on. She's been laughed at, called horrible names (when others thought she didn't understand english), and been accused of being an illegal. She was from a very small Mexican town where her name was respected and her family held in high esteem and honored. When she immigrated here, all of that was gone. Did she go back to Mexico? No. Did she endlessly talk about and lament racist Americans as is often seen on this message board? No. She had to learn english on her own....figure out how to ride a bus and read the schedule to get herself to a job that was typically very low paying and in a crummy factory. She endured difficulties that most here probably never have. Including racist attacks that today would be unheard of. She never gave up...never thought that she would run away to a more immigrant-friendly part of the country. To the contrary. She LOVED the United States. Still does. She eventually got married and raised a family. Her english improved. She worked many physically demanding jobs that most white people would not accept. She even was able to start and work for her own delivery business where she had to deal with all kinds of people on a daily basis...some of the customers not always friendly toward her ethnicity. Did she whine about it? No. She held her head high and realized that others don't define you.
That family she raised here? Four boys. All working members of society. One of them served in the U.S. Army as a Ranger. He fought in Iraq and Afghanistan with 9 tours under his belt and even was a member of a unit that one member received the Medal of Honor. Her son even met the President of the United States.

So yes...while I am "white", I am very familiar with racism. My woman has taught me that while it is sometimes the most vile and hurtful thing you can do to a person, you must NEVER give in to it or run away from it. You must face it and defeat it's effect upon you.

She's done that. I'm very proud of her.

Old 09-20-2015, 11:33 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,290,498 times
This thread seems untrue. Atlanta has many different races and interracial dating/marriage is common. No one cares. I don't know where you hang out that you have experienced this, but I have never seen it nor heard about it.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:33 PM

14 posts, read 24,326 times
THANK YOU Caribny, I just wish he would leave the thread rather than begging for sympathy from me. It annoys me how I am in a rough situation asking for advice and in comes this guy telling me to suck it up. My white friends dating Asian women and latinas don't have to deal with this nonsense yet I do?

As for GeorgianBelle, I doubt you've even seen a latino or any kind of foreign looking brown person with a Nordic looking woman in Atlanta to even say much about the situation.

And my thread rarely gets any good responses past the first two pages.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,815,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

None of this applies to the reality of the corporate world in Atlanta in 2015, and actually hasn't for many years. Not even close.

The OP's situation may as well be on another planet compared to the actual reality on the ground here.
And if true (which I seriously doubt), I really do feel bad for him. But I simply don't believe it.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:09 PM

14 posts, read 24,326 times
Lots of grads of SEC schools who were involved in fraternities and sororities end up working in Atlanta. Greek Life at SEC schools is not that big on racial integration, just saying. It is also rare for a white girl that runs in such crowds to go interracial which is of no concern to me except the fact that this is how a lot of Greek Life members view society.

All I am saying is that day one, I had a bad experience with my coworkers, a lot of whom knew each other in college based on being in Greek Life together. I was ignored, not called to social events, and rarely taken seriously despite my work.

As time moved on and I met my girlfriend, I noticed the aggression I pointed out.

Is all of Atlanta like this? Probably not but I am saying what I see on a daily basis. It is not common for young and decent looking white women in the city to date latinos, asians, and other foreign races, it is actually pretty rare. I have faced my share of racism for it and I just want to know of places in the USA where things won't be so hostile.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:09 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,290,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
None of this applies to the reality of the corporate world in Atlanta in 2015, and actually hasn't for many years. Not even close.

The OP's situation may as well be on another planet compared to the actual reality on the ground here.
And if true (which I seriously doubt), I really do feel bad for him. But I simply don't believe it.
Agree. Also, OP I have dated Latino guys, black guys, and Asian guys. I am blonde, white, and graduated from UA, a huge SEC school. My friends dated people from other races too.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU Caribny, I just wish he would leave the thread rather than begging for sympathy from me. It annoys me how I am in a rough situation asking for advice and in comes this guy telling me to suck it up. My white friends dating Asian women and latinas don't have to deal with this nonsense yet I do?

As for GeorgianBelle, I doubt you've even seen a latino or any kind of foreign looking brown person with a Nordic looking woman in Atlanta to even say much about the situation.

And my thread rarely gets any good responses past the first two pages.
No...I'm not going to leave the thread. Unlike your desire to flee Atlanta...I don't run when confronted with adversity.
Yes...you should suck it up. What "nonsense" are you dealing with that you can't handle? You are ready to move to some mystical area of the country where all harmony between the races exists...because of a few insults?
No such place exists...anywhere. Some people will ALWAYS have something negative to say regarding a persons race. You act as though being Venezuelan is some giant hurdle to happiness. It's not....and I don't need to share your ethnicity to grasp this. I explained in full detail about my own personal story and how a person I am very close to dealt with such issues. And you completely ignored it. As a matter of fact, you've ignored any common sense advice that others have given you. It's as though you just prefer to have a shoulder to cry on instead of being strong. This world isn't for the weak or for individuals that won't stand up to bullies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.