Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 06:56 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times

Advertisements

Which state offers better amenities. Between the two which state offers better mobility in lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 PM

650 posts, read 868,071 times
I think it would come down to what kind of lifestyle? What are you looking for in a state to live?

Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Depends where in Indiana?
Indianapolis isn't too bad.
Fort Wayne is eh...kind of boring.
Northwest Indiana is just a cheaper alternative to Illinois especially if you work in Chicago. Though Gary isn't a desirable place.

I believe Massachseustts has a better location and has a overall higher quality of life. In Massachusetts you're close to Boston, Providence, Hartford, NYC, and pretty much every part of New England. You're in the center of New England. You get a good mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas with proximity to malls, restaurants, and forms of entertainment. In Massachusetts the school are better and crime is pretty low except parts of Brockton, Springfield, Worcester, and New Bedford can be a little iffy. The only con in MA that I can think of at the moment is that alot of people not only MA but the northeast, can be pretty rude.It's a place where you can know your neighbors but never step foot in their homes. We respect other people's privacy but at the same time many people only think of themselves. The Midwest...I find it to be completely opposite. People are friendlier than the northeast. At least that's how I saw it when I visited Indiana.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:50 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
Which state offers better amenities. Between the two which state offers better mobility in lifestyle.
You're going to have to be more specific. These are very, very, different places.

Massachusetts is physically smaller and a much larger percentage of it is part of a major metro area than Indiana. Boston's a better city than Indianapolis in most respects from an amenities standpoint. Boston has exceedingly better higher ed, hospitals, public transit, etc. It's a larger and more diverse city than Indianapolis. The food, for the most part, is better in Boston. Economically speaking, Boston is in much better shape than Indianapolis or Indiana as a whole. Job prospects in most fields will be better in Massachusetts. Much of Northwestern Indiana, on the other hand, is right outside of Chicago- one of the three largest American cities- and has easy access to all that Chicago has to offer.

Indianapolis isn't as isolated as it's often made out to be. Within 4 hours, you can be in Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Columbus. Boston is 4 hours from NYC, and it's very well connected to the Northeast corridor, but it's hard to say that Indianapolis is more isolated. I do think that Massachusetts is a more aesthetically pleasing place to live. We can say "different strokes..." but Massachusetts has an exceptionally beautiful coastline, great hills in the Western part of the state, proximity to impressive mountains in the North, and the cities, towns and villages statewide are more attractive.

As far as "amenities" go, I definitely give the big edge to Massachusetts.

Indiana has the huge edge in affordability. Cost of living in Massachusetts is exceptionally high. You may find better job opportunities in MA, but cost of living in Indiana will allow you to stretch your dollar further. There's a tradeoff. Massachusetts- specificially Boston- offers you the opportunity to live in one of the more aesthetically pleasing, economically stable regions in the country. But you'll likely end up getting less for your money here. In Indiana, you may not end up with as much money, but you will be able to get more for that money than you would in MA. If you want to own a single family home in a nice neighborhood, good school district 1/2 hour from downtown Boston, you need to be prepared to pay 500,000 or more unless you want a fixer-upper. That's not the case in Indiana.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:15 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,512,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You're going to have to be more specific. These are very, very, different places.

Massachusetts is physically smaller and a much larger percentage of it is part of a major metro area than Indiana. Boston's a better city than Indianapolis in most respects from an amenities standpoint. Boston has exceedingly better higher ed, hospitals, public transit, etc. It's a larger and more diverse city than Indianapolis. The food, for the most part, is better in Boston. Economically speaking, Boston is in much better shape than Indianapolis or Indiana as a whole. Job prospects in most fields will be better in Massachusetts. Much of Northwestern Indiana, on the other hand, is right outside of Chicago- one of the three largest American cities- and has easy access to all that Chicago has to offer.

Indianapolis isn't as isolated as it's often made out to be. Within 4 hours, you can be in Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Louisville, and Columbus. Boston is 4 hours from NYC, and it's very well connected to the Northeast corridor, but it's hard to say that Indianapolis is more isolated. I do think that Massachusetts is a more aesthetically pleasing place to live. We can say "different strokes..." but Massachusetts has an exceptionally beautiful coastline, great hills in the Western part of the state, proximity to impressive mountains in the North, and the cities, towns and villages statewide are more attractive.

As far as "amenities" go, I definitely give the big edge to Massachusetts.

Indiana has the huge edge in affordability. Cost of living in Massachusetts is exceptionally high. You may find better job opportunities in MA, but cost of living in Indiana will allow you to stretch your dollar further. There's a tradeoff. Massachusetts- specificially Boston- offers you the opportunity to live in one of the more aesthetically pleasing, economically stable regions in the country. But you'll likely end up getting less for your money here. In Indiana, you may not end up with as much money, but you will be able to get more for that money than you would in MA. If you want to own a single family home in a nice neighborhood, good school district 1/2 hour from downtown Boston, you need to be prepared to pay 500,000 or more unless you want a fixer-upper. That's not the case in Indiana.
Cool. That's all I need to know.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,212,781 times
From the perspective of an occasional visitor to both states - most locations in Indiana are extremely easy to navigate compared to Massachusetts. This would probably be true whenever one is comparing a Midwest vs Northeast state, but the Boston area in particular has an very complex road network and mostly old infrastructure. This shouldn't take away from the many advantages of the Bay State, but Indiana is certainly a much more straightforward place for driving!

Massachusetts is certainly much more affluent and educated than Indiana as a whole, but the Hoosier State has some very attractive communities like Carmel and Zionsville - which are vastly more affordable and newly developed than MA's most prosperous towns.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Depends where in Indiana?
Indianapolis isn't too bad.
Fort Wayne is eh...kind of boring.
Northwest Indiana is just a cheaper alternative to Illinois especially if you work in Chicago. Though Gary isn't a desirable place.

I believe Massachseustts has a better location and has a overall higher quality of life. In Massachusetts you're close to Boston, Providence, Hartford, NYC, and pretty much every part of New England. You're in the center of New England. You get a good mix of urban, suburban, and rural areas with proximity to malls, restaurants, and forms of entertainment. In Massachusetts the school are better and crime is pretty low except parts of Brockton, Springfield, Worcester, and New Bedford can be a little iffy. The only con in MA that I can think of at the moment is that alot of people not only MA but the northeast, can be pretty rude.It's a place where you can know your neighbors but never step foot in their homes. We respect other people's privacy but at the same time many people only think of themselves. The Midwest...I find it to be completely opposite. People are friendlier than the northeast. At least that's how I saw it when I visited Indiana.
Kind of.

Once you hit western NY and western PA and saunter down towards Maryland/northern WV the northeast is full of friendly folks.

The part of NY I am from, the natives are very kind in general. Most of the rude people here are transplants from NYC or Jersey or Philly, or New England.

Just stay away from Ithaca because WOOOO that place is up its own keister. Not a great example of friendly.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not to mention, Ind. is an extremely right-wing conservative Red State, while Mass. is an extremely left-wing liberal Blue State

Old 09-25-2015, 12:04 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Not to mention, Ind. is an extremely right-wing conservative Red State, while Mass. is an extremely left-wing liberal Blue State
Not extremely, but Indiana does lean right for sure. Only reason I drop the extreme portion is because compared to Alabama or Mississippi... Indiana is pretty moderate.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
I live in Indianapolis, have lived in Evansville, and have visited Boston. Even just those three are wildly different. To paint such a broad brush on the entire states seems silly.

For the record, I like all three places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.