U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2015, 08:30 PM

27 posts, read 18,096 times

Advertisements

So, I've been teetering on the threshold of sanity and yet another much-needed change in life. This entails looking for a city to move to—a place that could suit my tastes more than any other place besides my home city, which is the best city in the world, but unfortunately has become too egregiously expensive and fraught with gentrification and hipsters (can you guess what it is?!).

Yes, many cities have undergone similar face lifts as a viscous stream of Botox oozes across the heartland of our dear nation. However, some have suffered less than others.

I've already scrawled a thread on here about Minneapolis, specifically, asking its proud, heart-palming residents whether it fits "the bill." What's "the bill?" Here's the itemized version of it that I enclosed in the original post. You guys and gals let me, a disgruntled, ****-talking Slavic New Yorker, know what cities come close to, well, exhibiting these attributes (to sound like a pedantic prick):
  1. It's a reasonably educated, "smart" place (by this I mean a place full of people who aren't necessarily institutionally educated, although this, sadly, has to be the usual indicator within the confines of our society; I mean, more generally, people who are perceptive)
  2. It has a dense, urban make-up—a "metropolitan" feel as opposed to a suburban one
  3. It's cold (which I like; I can't stand hot, stifling, glaring, glitzy-glam sunny weather. I'm hoping that it's overcast and rains fairly often)
  4. It's affordable (to a degree)
  5. It has notable social services (to cast all pride aside, I'll say that I'm poor as **** and need these in the meantime)
  6. It exudes its own unique flavor—its own "aura," so to speak—in comparison to other cities
  7. It doesn't lean towards a certain culture, subculture, or counterculture.

Additional note: I could give a **** about the political affiliations of the people there as long as the place isn't either overly liberal or conservative. As I stated in the thread about Minneapolis, I "look to reason and universal values as the sole ingredients of a working mind," not some ideology, cause, etc. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a nihilist.

EDIT:

To provide a more (arguably) precise idea of what I'm aiming for, here are some cities I've had in mind (in alphabetical order):
  1. Denver
  2. Minneapolis
  3. Seattle

Last edited by vongol; 09-26-2015 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: Additional info
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,813,295 times
Chicago

Old 09-26-2015, 08:45 PM

And remember, folks: the place doesn't have to perfectly match these criteria. Life is one big ****in' gray area, anyway.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:48 PM

Chicago does sound good, but is it affordable? Plus, the place is... well, "snowy" in some parts as a Russian would put it (HEH!!!!!)

Old 09-27-2015, 06:42 AM

21,589 posts, read 31,281,401 times
Neither Denver or Seattle can be deemed as "affordable". Minneapolis is still a good option, as is Chicago. As a complete wildcard I would throw in Buffalo which is undergoing a bit of a renaissance in it's downtown neighborhoods and hits your criteria pretty well in my opinion.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 AM

30,703 posts, read 28,450,453 times
Pittsburgh or Cleveland might work.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,813,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vongol View Post
Chicago does sound good, but is it affordable? Plus, the place is... well, "snowy" in some parts as a Russian would put it (HEH!!!!!)
Well, you didn't specify what "affordable" means to you, but for a big city, it may surprise you. And you did say you wanted it cold! Chicago handles its snowfall pretty well. It has everything on your list, really.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Well, you didn't specify what "affordable" means to you, but for a big city, it may surprise you. And you did say you wanted it cold! Chicago handles its snowfall pretty well. It has everything on your list, really.
"Snowy" has nothing to do with the weather, my friend...

But, yeah. It's the 7th most expensive city in the world, according to some random (perhaps questionable as always) statistic I glanced at on the Internet. By "affordable" I mean being able to rent out a studio or one-bedroom unit for no more than $600 (utilities included) within city limits, preferably.

Someone did recommend Philly, which, funnily enough, happens to be the only major city on the East Coast that I haven't been to.

Last edited by vongol; 09-27-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-27-2015, 02:32 PM

7,905 posts, read 11,948,833 times
Quote:

Someone did recommend Philly, which, funnily enough, happens to be the only major city on the East Coast that I haven't been to.
I second Philly as somebody who has lived in NYC and SF.

If you really need that uber yuppie or uber yuppie/hipster environment, then really, nothing short of NYC, SF, or Los Angeles will do.

However, if you are just looking for a place that has well educated, diverse, hip, walkable, culture and nightlife, and reasonably priced, Philly is your best bet.

Other cities that offer similar amenities, such as Boston, are much higher priced. Other cities that are similarly price, such as Baltimore, offer much less amenities.

The reason is that there are not a lot of super high paying jobs or industries in Philly, so it's maintaining a middle class persona. There are actually a shocking amount of things to do in this city in my opinion considering that.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:33 PM

14,189 posts, read 20,191,640 times
Quote:

But, yeah. It's the 7th most expensive city in the world, according to some random (perhaps questionable as always) statistic I glanced at on the Internet. By "affordable" I mean being able to rent out a studio or one-bedroom unit for no more than $600 (utilities included) within city limits, preferably.
Not to be rude, but it's not 1988 anymore. I don't know why people think that this is achievable these days.

You won't find that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.