U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:16 AM

610 posts, read 581,186 times

Advertisements

Back when I lived in Illinois, I remember that beginning in 04-05, some Ghanians began moving into a neighborhood across the highway from where I lived. Within three years, there were probably a dozen families in that neighborhood.

I have family down in Houston, and I know there's tons of Nigerians and Angolans down there. What US cities have the largest sub-saharan African populations? (Minus Somalis, I know about Minnesota and all that.) Sort of seems like one of the last meta-groups of immigrants that hasn't come here (willingly) in big numbers at any point in our history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 08:59 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
NYC by far has the highest numbers of West Africans (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Mali etc) with over 70,000 in residence. It falls off to around 10K with cities like Boston, Houston, Philadelphia and Chicago...and surprisingly not too far behind at 9,000 Columbus OH. Top US Cities at Risk For Ebola From Travel With West Africa

Old 09-27-2015, 02:13 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Washington DC comes to mind as well.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:52 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,880,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
NYC by far has the highest numbers of West Africans (Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ghana, Mali etc) with over 70,000 in residence. It falls off to around 10K with cities like Boston, Houston, Philadelphia and Chicago...and surprisingly not too far behind at 9,000 Columbus OH. Top US Cities at Risk For Ebola From Travel With West Africa
Dumbest thread I have ever seen on here. That list is city limits only. Does not even come close of a true rep for most cities, especially Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:46 AM

3,501 posts, read 1,699,618 times
For Houston it is off, and how is that even accurate as, Nigeria along with several West African countries got rid of Ebola before it could affect even more than 1% of the population. Also most of the Africans living in the U.S aren't just going to suddenly have ebola, looking at number of immigrants per year would have been more accurate.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,195,492 times
NYC and DC are number one and two by a long shot.

After them Atlanta, Minneapolis, Dallas, Philadelphia, Boston, Houston, and LA are going to have massive African communities.

In 2013, these were the top immigration points from Africa:

New York: 13,983
Washington/Baltimore: 12,851
Dallas: 3,968
Atlanta: 3,893
Boston: 3,807
Los Angeles/Riverside: 3,710
Minneapolis: 3,685
Houston: 3,345
Philadelphia: 3,180
Seattle: 2,685
Chicago: 2,302

Old 09-28-2015, 11:16 AM

3,501 posts, read 4,958,843 times
The Washington DC area has the nation's largest Ethiopian population. They comprise most of the local taxicab drivers, parking garage attendants, airport baggage handlers, convenience store clerks, and food truck vendors downtown. There are countless Ethiopian restaurants. They live especially in northern D.C., Silver Spring, and western Alexandria.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Dumbest thread I have ever seen on here. That list is city limits only. Does not even come close of a true rep for most cities, especially Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
For Houston it is off, and how is that even accurate as, Nigeria along with several West African countries got rid of Ebola before it could affect even more than 1% of the population. Also most of the Africans living in the U.S aren't just going to suddenly have ebola, looking at number of immigrants per year would have been more accurate.
Since the thread we're in is discussing the "US Cities with the most Sub-Saharan Africans" please enlighten me how about dumb it is to call into reference population numbers for actual cities.

And also how are Houston's numbers "off"? Are you somehow plugged into information that tracks that beyond the numbers already presented, or operating off of your superior perception skills perhaps? The numbers presented also have nothing to do with Ebola in this particular conversation, only with population counts of immigrants from varying African countries within the US.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
I've heard the Twin Cities has at least 30,000 Liberians, if not more. Does NYC have populations in excess of 70K for each country or did you mean altogether?

I've also heard that as many Africans choose to migrate directly to MN, there are just as many that relocate there from other magnet cities. I'm sure that's probably true for several other cities as well. I honestly have no clue what the true population counts are these days.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard the Twin Cities has at least 30,000 Liberians, if not more. Does NYC have populations in excess of 70K for each country or did you mean altogether?
Sometimes what we hear is more "urban legend". NYC has a population of around 70K from West Africa which would include the countries of Benin, Burkina Faso, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sao Tome and Principe and Togo. According to the link if you scroll through the Minneapolis-St Paul area communities it totals up to 8,500 or so which makes a heck of a lot more sense in a metro area with 2.8 million people versus NYC which stands at 20 million.

Top US Cities at Risk For Ebola From Travel With West Africa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or