Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:31 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,458 times

Advertisements

So growing up in the south, its no surprise that Saturdays are our big gamedays for College Football. People at college football tailgates go all out and its an all day affair just like it is for most NFL teams and similar to what they do for their gamedays but what I can't figure out is how in the world NFL fans are able to do all of that on a Sunday? Not living in an NFL city in the south, Sundays are traditionally used more for fans to be lazy and rest up from the day before but in NFL cities its a full blown party just like in college- dominated cities except without the extra day of recovery.

I know NFL cities don't party less on gameday considering my friend's description and pictures from his trip to Charlotte for the Carolina Panthers game last week so my question is do most NFL cities just cruise on Monday more? Do alot of people take off on Mondays? Or are you all just that big of troopers? LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Growing up in Baton Rouge, the best home game experience in the country, down the road from New Orleans, I feel I have a good grasp on this.

It's just different days, Sunday nights you can't stay out or up as late, on Saturdays you can. That's pretty much it from what I see. Plus the culture is vastly different surrounding the games and tailgating. I've never tailgated for a NFL game but I have for LSU and it's crazy.

People aren't waking up at 6am to go get a spot to tailgate for NFL games, but for college it' a norm; especially in SEC towns. And it seems like more people sit at home and watch NFL games rather than make a family event/tradition out of it.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Growing up in Baton Rouge, the best home game experience in the country, down the road from New Orleans, I feel I have a good grasp on this.

It's just different days, Sunday nights you can't stay out or up as late, on Saturdays you can. That's pretty much it from what I see. Plus the culture is vastly different surrounding the games and tailgating. I've never tailgated for a NFL game but I have for LSU and it's crazy.

People aren't waking up at 6am to go get a spot to tailgate for NFL games, but for college it' a norm; especially in SEC towns. And it seems like more people sit at home and watch NFL games rather than make a family event/tradition out of it.
I'm actually glad you mentioned LSU/ NoLa because that is actually one of the best examples I can think of where the NFL and College are both huge. I live in SC and were no more than about an hour or so from Charlotte and I mean while I like the Panthers and all (watching them now...looks like we may have found a way to pull this one out vs yall) but its not like it is with the Saints as far as fan bases.

I could really see that for the Saints especially with LSU there. I really couldnt imagine after a Clemson game I'd be willing to get up, drive to Charlotte and do it again for the Panthers knowing I have to work on Sunday!

What about cities where college really isn't that big, like Philly, DC, Chicago?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I'm actually glad you mentioned LSU/ NoLa because that is actually one of the best examples I can think of where the NFL and College are both huge. I live in SC and were no more than about an hour or so from Charlotte and I mean while I like the Panthers and all (watching them now...looks like we may have found a way to pull this one out vs yall) but its not like it is with the Saints as far as fan bases.

I could really see that for the Saints especially with LSU there. I really couldnt imagine after a Clemson game I'd be willing to get up, drive to Charlotte and do it again for the Panthers knowing I have to work on Sunday!

What about cities where college really isn't that big, like Philly, DC, Chicago?
Ugh. My uncle lives in Charlotte and he texts all of us during the games. Yall got us this time though.

Well nobody goes to both games in the same weekend. Having to deal with LSU traffic is probably much worse than Saints traffic and the cost of a Saints game will easily run you $1000+ for a family of 4. It wasn't that expensive when we were wearing paper bags.

I lived in Houston and it's neither an NFL or college city. But people there would never go watch University of Houston games really.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Ugh. My uncle lives in Charlotte and he texts all of us during the games. Yall got us this time though.

Well nobody goes to both games in the same weekend. Having to deal with LSU traffic is probably much worse than Saints traffic and the cost of a Saints game will easily run you $1000+ for a family of 4. It wasn't that expensive when we were wearing paper bags.

I lived in Houston and it's neither an NFL or college city. But people there would never go watch University of Houston games really.
Wow that surprises me about Houston. I was actually thinking it was more of both similar to New Orleans...maybe not for U of H but being not that far from Texas A&M and being in Texas I would have thought there would be a pretty strong college fan base there and the Texans seem to be coming around as well.

I always kind of thought places like Houston, New Orleans, Nashville, Atlanta, and Jacksonville were strong college football cities, maybe not for the school located there but for the schools around them. Like for Nashville maybe not for Vandy, but for Tennessee, Atlanta maybe not for Ga Tech but more for UGA, Auburn, Clemson, etc. And Jacksonville more for UF and FSU.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Wow that surprises me about Houston. I was actually thinking it was more of both similar to New Orleans...maybe not for U of H but being not that far from Texas A&M and being in Texas I would have thought there would be a pretty strong college fan base there and the Texans seem to be coming around as well.

I always kind of thought places like Houston, New Orleans, Nashville, Atlanta, and Jacksonville were strong college football cities, maybe not for the school located there but for the schools around them. Like for Nashville maybe not for Vandy, but for Tennessee, Atlanta maybe not for Ga Tech but more for UGA, Auburn, Clemson, etc. And Jacksonville more for UF and FSU.
There's plenty of support for Texas schools in Houston but it's nothing like UT in Austin or LSU in Baton Rouge. Houston area high schools are the best when it comes to football. Katy High is one of the best in the nation year after year and they share a huge stadium with other teams in the area. They streets are empty in Katy on Friday nights.
Heck, you don't see many LSU fans at all in New Orleans, I mean there are some but not like you might expect being only an hour away from such a popular program.

It would be interesting to see people from those areas comment.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:

Yeah it is odd. I live in Austin, TX now. Probably 90% of the people in my office profess to be Texas fans, and yet when free tickets come around I end up being the guy to take them. The other people have "things to do." I may be the only guy in my office who went to a Texas game last year or this, and I am not even a fan. Then in a metro area with over a million people you go to a relatively small stadium, and they have whole sections empty for a conference game. It just boggles the mind.

You go to an SEC school, and traffic on highways can be at a standstill miles outside of town. People pay $20 or more to park two miles from the stadium. Here in Austin you might pay that 5 blocks away. Meanwhile I can drive down a road 6 blocks over and have no extra traffic, and if I am willing to walk a mile I can be parked downtown for 7 dollars. Admittedly, the main road is very slow if you stay on the highway going into downtown, but at the same time it is the main road to San Antonio and slows down a lot normally.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
There's plenty of support for Texas schools in Houston but it's nothing like UT in Austin or LSU in Baton Rouge. Houston area high schools are the best when it comes to football. Katy High is one of the best in the nation year after year and they share a huge stadium with other teams in the area. They streets are empty in Katy on Friday nights.
Heck, you don't see many LSU fans at all in New Orleans, I mean there are some but not like you might expect being only an hour away from such a popular program.

It would be interesting to see people from those areas comment.
I wonder how much of an impact the collapse of Tulane football had to do with this. At one time it was LSU's in state SEC opponent. I wonder how many Tulane fans just abandoned college football once their team left the SEC and went into the toilet permanently.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Yeah it is odd. I live in Austin, TX now. Probably 90% of the people in my office profess to be Texas fans, and yet when free tickets come around I end up being the guy to take them. The other people have "things to do." I may be the only guy in my office who went to a Texas game last year or this, and I am not even a fan. Then in a metro area with over a million people you go to a relatively small stadium, and they have whole sections empty for a conference game. It just boggles the mind.

You go to an SEC school, and traffic on highways can be at a standstill miles outside of town. People pay $20 or more to park two miles from the stadium. Here in Austin you might pay that 5 blocks away. Meanwhile I can drive down a road 6 blocks over and have no extra traffic, and if I am willing to walk a mile I can be parked downtown for 7 dollars. Admittedly, the main road is very slow if you stay on the highway going into downtown, but at the same time it is the main road to San Antonio and slows down a lot normally.
That's crazy, fair weather fans...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I wonder how much of an impact the collapse of Tulane football had to do with this. At one time it was LSU's in state SEC opponent. I wonder how many Tulane fans just abandoned college football once their team left the SEC and went into the toilet permanently.
That was 49 years ago, I think it's irrelevant now. With the success of LSU the past 15 years, those interested would be fans by now. Tulane did just build a new stadium and people are hoping it it will propel them to a higher conference. But I think UL will get there first.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
That's crazy, fair weather fans...

That was 49 years ago, I think it's irrelevant now. With the success of LSU the past 15 years, those interested would be fans by now. Tulane did just build a new stadium and people are hoping it it will propel them to a higher conference. But I think UL will get there first.
Fair weather fans indeed...they tweeted a picture of the stadium there 10 mins before kickoff and I mean NO ONE was there!

I kind of think Columbia is similar in how Auburn is describing Austin. I grew up in Columbia and most people there say they are Gamecock fans but many of them are from another part of the country and have more of an allegiance to a school where they are from, I actually knew several big Auburn fans when I lived there whom claimed to be Gamecock fans when they weren't playing Auburn. The only difference in Columbia to how you described Austin there is that most people (including me as a Clemson fan) will take the tickets and go to the game to tailgate and all of that just because its there but they don't care about S.Carolina all that much. Although I say that because they have been pretty good the past 5-6 years or so, but before that and probably now this season, you very well might end up seeing the same thing in Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.