Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 07:58 PM

24 posts, read 31,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't think the New Englanders will mind at all that you come from Arizona. I will never understand where some of the stereotypes, about New Englanders come from.

No matter where you go in Eastern Mass it's going to be on the expensive side. It is all reflective of Boston and how much area Metro Boston encompasses. The Boston Metro including suburbs and exurbs, now spreads to Rhode Island and Southern New Hampshire.. Rhode Island use to be a cheaper alternative to Mass, but that seems to have changed some what in recent years.

I think I will suggest Portsmouth NH. Its just above the Mass NH border, and is the NH Maine border some 60 miles from Boston. It's a nice seacoast community, with a downtown of shops and restaurants. The beaches of NH are just outside of town. In the summer it is a heavy tourist area, which might keep you away I don't know. I notice more and more young people seem to be moving into the Portsmouth area, as they do Portland, Maine. It's a good location, and though it is far from being inexpensive, it can be a lesser cost than much of nearby Mass. A big draw to NH besides it's not Mass, is there is no Sales or Income Taxes in NH. Revenue comes from Property Taxes, which will be noticeably higher. States have to get their revenue from somewhere.

i
It's hearsay, with what I assume to be invalid and anecdotal information.

That's all good information, thank you!

Last edited by ComposeWhoKnows; 10-06-2015 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Missed a word there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 08:35 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
If having a job is important to you, I'd cross out Oregon and Rhode Island.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:41 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't think the New Englanders will mind at all that you come from Arizona. I will never understand where some of the stereotypes, about New Englanders come from.
If anything I'd say that the Pacific Northwest is the most unwelcoming of the regions she listed, though even here people won't openly hate you for being from somewhere else. I've always thought Northeast people were cool, they ain't rude or mean they just keep it real!

Old 10-10-2015, 06:14 PM

18 posts, read 20,530 times
I live in the Bangor, ME area and while people often talk about those "from away," it's in a joking manner 99.9%, and once you live here, you are 'in on the joke.' I WILL say that New Englander's, aren't always the most welcoming to tourists, so IMO that is where people get the general idea that we hate people from away.

Also... in Maine, often wealthy people from NY and MA come here and buy up a lot of property (beachfront and woodsy areas) and then block others from using it and that often causes a lot of back press from 'away people.'

Now I must know, why "anywhere but here?" I actually clicked this list because we are eager to go "anywhere but here" (Maine), once my son graduates H.S. in a few years and we plan to visit all the places on our short list over the next few years.... and AZ is on the short list.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:58 PM

24 posts, read 31,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapeen2 View Post
I live in the Bangor, ME area and while people often talk about those "from away," it's in a joking manner 99.9%, and once you live here, you are 'in on the joke.' I WILL say that New Englander's, aren't always the most welcoming to tourists, so IMO that is where people get the general idea that we hate people from away.

Also... in Maine, often wealthy people from NY and MA come here and buy up a lot of property (beachfront and woodsy areas) and then block others from using it and that often causes a lot of back press from 'away people.'

Now I must know, why "anywhere but here?" I actually clicked this list because we are eager to go "anywhere but here" (Maine), once my son graduates H.S. in a few years and we plan to visit all the places on our short list over the next few years.... and AZ is on the short list.

Hi there,

I have actually shorten to Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and maybe Rhode Island. Haha! Thanks for that knowledge of the "inside joke".

You know what, it's not that Arizona is bad, it's that I personally dislike it. I'm not of the 110+ weather for 5 months at a time, the the rows of beige, cookie cutter houses, the severe lack of green in general.The desert landscape has beauty it's own way, I just don't find it appealing as much as others. The education political situation is ridiculous around here. I've been here a good portion of my life, and I need a change of pace and scenery. When you've had that same thought (about moving) for about seven years... I think it's a bit more than a whim.

In short, Arizona is not for me, but it is for plenty of others.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:22 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I'm being a bit of a homer here, but I'd also consider Michigan as a possible state. Teacher salaries are amongst the highest in the nation in comparison to cost of living, and if you stay within the southern third of the state, there are so many cities within a 1-1.5 hour drive to be involved with music teaching. The only one I'm not sure about is the nightlife, but that depends on where you live. Awesome camping and trails are about 2 hours away depending on where you live.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:07 AM

659 posts, read 940,464 times
Two days ago, I packed up everything and left Glendale/Phoenix for El Paso, TX. I like city feel, it's prettier than Phoenix, but it doesn't have a strong job market, there's mostly entry level jobs here which is great because Arizona had none.

Despite the job market, there are 5x-8x more jobs here than the entirety of Arizona which is awesome. However, this city is not for raising a family, it's mostly a military city that has cheap labor and a strong entry level. It's a great place to start over in a new field, gain some experience, and then leave for other states. I'm staying here two years maximum, then I'm heading to Minnesota or wherever life takes me, because like you OP, I miss the four seasons and green.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Two days ago, I packed up everything and left Glendale/Phoenix for El Paso, TX. I like city feel, it's prettier than Phoenix, but it doesn't have a strong job market, there's mostly entry level jobs here which is great because Arizona had none.

Despite the job market, there are 5x-8x more jobs here than the entirety of Arizona which is awesome. However, this city is not for raising a family, it's mostly a military city that has cheap labor and a strong entry level. It's a great place to start over in a new field, gain some experience, and then leave for other states. I'm staying here two years maximum, then I'm heading to Minnesota or wherever life takes me, because like you OP, I miss the four seasons and green.
How long did you live in Arizona?

Old 10-14-2015, 05:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,018 times
Athens, GA.....huge college town that is about an hour away from Atlanta

Old 10-14-2015, 05:58 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I think you should concentrate more on getting a job offer and less on the state you want to live in- especially when it comes to New England. I'd live in any of the NE states (although I happen to like RI very much and it's great place for the arts) and would move within these states if there was a great job offer.

Good teaching jobs are hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.