U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,654 posts, read 3,640,251 times
Reputation: 16563

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone knows what the largest (by population) town or city is that does not have any traffic lights. Barrow, AK comes close; this town of about 4,500 people has only one traffic light: a pedestrian signal next to an elementary school, which is only activated when school is in session. Anyone know of any signal-less place larger than that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
7,991 posts, read 16,048,592 times
Reputation: 9332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows what the largest (by population) town or city is that does not have any traffic lights. Barrow, AK comes close; this town of about 4,500 people has only one traffic light: a pedestrian signal next to an elementary school, which is only activated when school is in session. Anyone know of any signal-less place larger than that?
There have to be a bunch. Freetown, Massachusetts (where I grew up) doesn't have any. Population is around 9,000. I'm certain it's not the biggest. I'm guessing in the South and Southwest, you probably have towns that cover hundreds of square miles and have a population of 20,000+ that appear rural due to how spread out they are. Many of these places won't have stop lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 AM
 
Location: East Coast
678 posts, read 691,850 times
Reputation: 442
Could be Baltimore in a future near you!

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/***...mplete-streets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:21 AM
 
11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Reputation: 10919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There have to be a bunch. Freetown, Massachusetts (where I grew up) doesn't have any. Population is around 9,000. I'm certain it's not the biggest. I'm guessing in the South and Southwest, you probably have towns that cover hundreds of square miles and have a population of 20,000+ that appear rural due to how spread out they are. Many of these places won't have stop lights.
It has multiple traffic lights by the interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
7,991 posts, read 16,048,592 times
Reputation: 9332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It has multiple traffic lights by the interstate.
I had to double check this (because there is no interstate in Freetown), but you're right. There are lights along Innovation Way near the Route 24 ramps in the S.W. Corner of town on the Fall River line. That road and that set of ramps is <3 years old so they didn't exist until about 2012 or 13, but they're there now. Good catch.

Ashburnham, MA (6,081) doesn't have a single light.

Last edited by lrfox; 09-29-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,654 posts, read 3,640,251 times
Reputation: 16563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Could be Baltimore in a future near you!

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/***...mplete-streets
Is this a satire piece, or is that author actually recommending the stuff she wrote about? There are more holes in her plan than in an entire crate of swiss cheese, but I'll just give you this one: how "green" is it to rely on electronic signage (powered, no doubt, by a pollution-spewing coal-fired power plant that is located someplace where the author can't see it, so it doesn't matter), when the current plain-jane signs cost nothing to operate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 02:54 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13287
Wolfeboro, NH has one flashing yellow light and is about 6000 population, more outside the town limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top