U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:44 AM

8,031 posts, read 16,083,115 times

Advertisements

I'd add that I-95 is tricky to complete in its entirety, especially in one sitting. If you're Traveling from, say, Portland Maine to Richmond and following a GPS, chances are that it will take you off of 95 for segments. You kind of have to be really committed to staying on 95. For instance, it may recommend I-495-90-84-91-Merritt PKWY for the segment from MA to NYC (connect back in 95 in NY). I 95 is the New Jersey Turnpike until, well, it's not anymore. Near Philadelphia, it splits off and heads towards the center of Philly whereas through travelers typically remain on the NJ Turnpike and miss that segment of I-95. Typical through routes in DC and Baltimore also skip small portions of I-95.

Anyone travel U.S. Route 1 in its entirety? I feel like that would be a neat challenge although it would be tough to stay on 1 when 95 is right there. I've driven many segments of it (inc. most of Maine up to Ft. Kent, and all the way down to Key West), but definitely not close to the entirety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:08 AM

814 posts, read 938,803 times
Quote:
Unless someone had a particular interest in a specific U.S. highway (I could envision this for U.S. 1, 66, and 101, and maybe a few others), I would be surprised if anyone actually drove the entire length of one.
It's a goal of mine, and it's not even a specific interest in one specific number that drives it, I just greatly prefer traveling on two-lane roads to expressways. Interstates, for the most part, do a wonderful job of getting people from point A to point B as fast as possible, but at the cost of seeing almost nothing of this amazing country up close and at ground level. And because their primary function is speed, it seems like everyone is always in that much more of a hurry, which breeds irritated drivers, especially on the more heavily trafficked ones in the northeast. Driving should be enjoyable, and for me, on an Interstate highway it very rarely is.

There are several particular U.S. routes that I've always especially wanted to drive end to end, namely 11, 50, 60, 62, 191, 202, 395.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:38 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Rt.309 in PA.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:21 PM

174 posts, read 204,633 times
YES! I've done I-78, I-76, I-176, I-45, I-10 (from FLA to CA) I-80 from (SF to NJ) I-85 and probably a few others i forgot.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM

2,669 posts, read 1,983,457 times
Been US 90, US 1, US 6, and US 50, end-to-end.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:02 PM

706 posts, read 514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I take the lack of affirmative response thus far to be indicative of how much the interstates have essentially taken over long-distance car travel. The U.S. highways were the interstates of their day, but since the 1970s or so, they've basically become not much more than the Main Streets of various towns and cities (not an inconsequential role, to be sure) and feeder routes from various small towns to the nearest interstates.

I can't think of any U.S. highway that I've driven from start to finish, or even close. I've done fairly significant chunks of U.S. 1, 17, and 301 (these being the three main U.S. highways from the Mid-Atlantic down to Florida) and decent stretches of U.S. 33 and 78 as well. But when I'm doing long-distance driving, the interstates are where you will find me; I've done quite a few of them from end to end.

Unless someone had a particular interest in a specific U.S. highway (I could envision this for U.S. 1, 66, and 101, and maybe a few others), I would be surprised if anyone actually drove the entire length of one. My favorite number is 17 -- and it's because of U.S. 17, portions of which we used when traveling to Florida when I was a kid -- so maybe someday I'll drive its entire length.

Info on U.S. highway end points here:

Homepage for US Ends.com
To be fair "U.S. Highway" technicaly includes both the Eisenhower Interstate System and the Numbered Highway System.
I understand now this thread is about U.S. numbered highways. My question is: do defunct highways count i.e. US 66?

Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 PM

3,035 posts, read 2,467,343 times
I've been on the entirety of I-96, but that's completely in Michigan. If you consider I-69 to have its southern terminus in Indianapolis, I have been on the entirety of that interstate as well. Neither have been on one trip.

I've actually been on, throughout my life, on almost all of I-75. I haven't been south of the Tampa area, but anywhere there and north (up to the Canadian border in Sault Saint Marie), I've been on I-75. So that almost counts! Again, not all in one trip (but only really the Michigan and far northwest Ohio parts would have been on separate trips.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,009,366 times
I've driven Highway 101 from Olympia around the Olympic Peninsula all the way down the Oregon Coast to California to the Mexican border. A pretty cool trip if you stay on it the whole way and much more interesting than I-5. You really get a sense of the West Coast and how beautiful it is.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 PM

570 posts, read 802,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Anyone driven an entire U.S. highway that was not an interstate?

US 40?

US 63?

US 183?

Etc.
The closest I've done has been US 290 in Texas. From somewhere west of the outskirts of Austin to Houston.

I think the longest stretch of US highway I've driven was US 287 in Texas (Amarillo area to Fort Worth).

Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 AM

13,224 posts, read 17,978,149 times
The only U.S. highways I've driven the entire length of

U.S. 192 (Kissimmee, FL to Melbourne, FL)
U.S. 280 (Birmingham, AL to Blitchton, GA)
U.S. 341 (Brunswick, GA to Barnesville, GA)

U.S. highways I've driven significant lengths of

U.S. 1 (St. Augustine, FL to North Augusta, SC)
U.S. 17 (Jacksonville, FL to Brunswick, GA; near Yemassee, SC to North Myrtle Beach, SC)
U.S. 19 (Thomasville, GA to Bristol, VA; Beckley, WV to Sutton, WV; Canonsburg, PA to Zelienople, PA)
U.S. 22 (Cambridge, OH to New Alexandria, PA)
U.S. 23 (Jacksonville, FL to near Alma, GA; Hazlehurst, GA to Eastman, GA; Jackson, GA to Catlettsburg, KY)
U.S. 27 (Haines City, FL to near Leesburg, FL; Cusseta, GA to Columbus, GA; Franklin, GA to Chattanooga, TN)
U.S. 29 (Atlanta, GA to Anderson, SC)
U.S. 30 (Massilon, OH to near Bedford, PA)
U.S. 36 (St. Joseph, MO to Macon, MO)
U.S. 41 (Valdosta, GA to Tifton, GA; Barnesville, GA to Atlanta, GA)
U.S. 63 (Jefferson City, MO to Kirksville, MO)
U.S. 76 (Dalton, GA to near Westminster, SC)
U.S. 78 (Memphis, TN to Birmingham, AL; Heflin, AL to Thomson, GA)
U.S. 80 (Phenix City, AL to Dublin, GA; Swainsboro, GA to Bloomingdale, GA)
U.S. 82 (Dawson, GA to Brunswick, GA)
U.S. 84 (Dothan, AL to near Midway, GA)
U.S. 90 (New Orleans, LA to Spanish Fort, AL; Tallahassee, FL to Madison, FL; Jacksonville, FL to Jacksonville Beach, FL)
U.S. 101 (Los Angeles, CA to San Jose, CA)
U.S. 119 (Jenkins, KY to Charleston, WV; Point Marion, PA to Greensburg, PA)
U.S. 129 (Alapaha, GA to Andrews, NC)
U.S. 231 (Panama City, FL to Dothan, AL)
U.S. 278 (Piedmont, AL to Thomson, GA)
U.S. 319 (Tallahassee, FL to Wadley, GA)
U.S. 431 (Dothan, AL to Phenix City, AL)
U.S. 441 (Pearson, GA to Sevierville, TN)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or