U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you choose to live where you live?
Employment 23 24.73%
Family / friends 23 24.73%
Cost of Living 12 12.90%
Landscape / Natural features 3 3.23%
Urban amenities / infastructure 8 8.60%
Climate 9 9.68%
Culture / lifestyle 8 8.60%
Other 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times

Advertisements

Family, roots, jobs, accessibility, things to do, culture/lifestyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 08:40 AM

2,881 posts, read 2,003,042 times
Culture/lifestyle—moved to Miami from San Diego as it offers a more exciting and sophisticated lifestyle on a number of fronts and has a more vibrant urban vibe with more modern amenities and better infrastructure. Warm weather climate remains important to me as that is what my body has been acclimated to for more than 35 years now. In short, Miami appealed to me because of its restaurants, nightlife, warm(er) ocean, closer to where I vacation with hub airport, beautiful women, and no state income tax.

Employment normally would be an important factor for me but I relocated here with my job/company whom I worked with for 33+ years before recently retiring. Left good friends behind but have other friends whom I grew up with from the East Coast in SoFla and have made new ones.

Last edited by elchevere; 07-01-2019 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 08:52 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I'm retired and can go wherever I want. New Mexico is my Land of Enchantment. I enjoy fishing and photography and exposure to new ideas and cultural diversity. It is not crowded and people have a relaxed lifestyle. It is the most family-oriented place I've ever found (my daughter followed me here). As a "blue" state it is moderately liberal. I would have to select almost all of the choices in the poll but these stand out:

Cost of Living -- lower or on par with where I used to live in the Midwest;
Landscape / Natural features -- NM knocks it out of the park;
Climate -- the high desert has the best four-season climate in the country;
Culture / lifestyle -- Three dominant cultures make a very interesting stew;
Other -- The music, the food, the scenery, the people, the history, the art.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 AM

3,533 posts, read 1,513,328 times
I live in the Charlotte area. There's really no single reason, but I have several.

I was raised here and have lived here most of my life. My family, young adult children, 2 young granddaughters, and closest friends all live here. I absolutely love having that in my life!

I love the people (especially the suburban city in which I live of about 76k people. I was raised in this city as well). They're simply the best. Very easy to strike up conversations with strangers at the park, grocery store, post office, etc.

The climate. It has the almost perfect 4-season climate for me.

Cost of living. It's easy to have a good lifestyle here.

The economy.

It's location in the middle of the Carolinas is great and not far from other east coast destinations.

Lots of things to do, especially outdoors.

I've spent short one to one and a half year stints in Orlando, Columbus, and Boston/Cape Cod. I liked those areas in different ways. I have traveled extensively over my 54 years of life. But My wife and I plan on staying here in the Charlotte area for good. It's home AND it's a great place to live.

Wonderful thread! I really enjoying seeing everyone's reasons why they love where they are

Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 PM

8,938 posts, read 4,095,428 times
OKC. I moved here in 2012. Family and gay-to-straight conversion therapy are the primary reasons. Also the fact that in 2012 it was one of the few places with a halfway decent unemployment rate. I wanted to go to Dallas but my family wanted me in a more conservative, Bible Belt environment. I ended up finding a decent job here but I've been miserable other than that.

Moving here was one of the worst decisions I ever made and is one of my biggest regrets. I'm now atheist as well. I'm hopefully going to be moving by the end of the year.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:19 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Suburb with great amenities and shopping options that match any city without the crowded noisy environment and price right. Family played a role not work as I moved here after retirement.

Can't stand ocean frontage or mountain living. Your chiloices show an out of touch bias

Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM

1,508 posts, read 700,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC. I moved here in 2012. Family and gay-to-straight conversion therapy are the primary reasons. Also the fact that in 2012 it was one of the few places with a halfway decent unemployment rate. I wanted to go to Dallas but my family wanted me in a more conservative, Bible Belt environment. I ended up finding a decent job here but I've been miserable other than that.

Moving here was one of the worst decisions I ever made and is one of my biggest regrets. I'm now atheist as well. I'm hopefully going to be moving by the end of the year.
I really hope you can.

Are you meeting other non-straight/non-cis people there? I'm sure there's a supportive community if you know where to look.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 PM

1,563 posts, read 821,836 times
Because I lived out of the country during my early adulthood with barely any visits to mainland US (thinking that taking trips to the K-Mart in Guam was "American enough"), I missed out on some very drastic changes in American culture, and I don't know any other place to relocate. So I'm confined to my home town, and I'm still very confused about day-to-day life.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 AM

1,246 posts, read 716,998 times
Born and raised here.

#FLOGROWN

Old 07-02-2019, 09:20 AM

1,401 posts, read 1,638,567 times
Got a job in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or