U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:56 PM

448 posts, read 391,164 times

Advertisements

Take a look at the top 20 most murderous cities and check the demographics, I bet yall anything that all of the most dangerous crime ridden neighborhoods in those cities where most of the murders take place are almost all black. Someone prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 11:00 AM

48,220 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you look around online, you can find black murder rate maps which include almost every state, except Florida, and sometimes Alabama.

Mississippi does indeed have a very low black homicide rate compared to most other southern states.

In general, one thing that jumps out at me from this map is the degree to which the black population is rural versus suburban versus urban makes a big difference. Black homicide rates are relatively low in all of the traditional "black belt" states where there is a large rural black population. Black homicide rates are higher in states were most o the black population is instead concentrated into urban neighborhoods. The difference is probably partially attributable to less gang culture in the suburbs and rural areas, but differences in lead exposure probably make a big difference as well. Old urban neighborhoods have lots of lead (these days exposure is more from dust in the soil from leaded gasoline decades back, not paint. It's been proven that lead exposure leads not only to lower IQ, but to personality changes which make someone far more likely to have angry outbursts.

Edit: Some people could argue that given the charts track black victims, not black murderers, it's hard to draw conclusions. But most murderers kill someone of the same race, and there's no reason to presume this would vary dramatically from state to state. More importantly, while you can usually easily assign a race to the victim of a murder, there is no way to be sure what race the perpetrator was in unsolved murder cases (which sadly are all-too-many of those in blighted urban areas.
Rural vs urban plays a big part. Many people will point to a disproportionate amount of murders coming from the Black American population. While statistically that is a fact, I notice the discussion doesn't go any further. It is given in a very simplistic manner, and very often in a "we look down on Blacks" kind of way.

Mississippi is the least urbanized state in the USA. Most of Mississippi's Black population lives in rural areas or small towns. Alot of people are poor. Rural poor areas, however, with some exceptions, tend to have lower murder rates than urban areas.

Look at Missouri, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Those three states have Black populations smaller than Mississippi, both in percentage and raw numbers. However, most poor Blacks in those states live in the cities, such as St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Omaha. 7 out of 10 Blacks in Wisconsin live in Milwaukee. In Nebraska, about 6 out of 10 Blacks live in Omaha. Where are most of the Black-related murders taking place? In the ghettos of those cities.

And I would not discount the role of lead and what it does to the minds of people. Lead can be dangerous and make people stupid. The lead stuff only gets cleaned up under gentrification for some reason.

And one can make a comparison between cities. Atlanta and St. Louis both have large Black populations, with Atlanta having the slightly larger Black population. The murder rate in St. Louis is more than twice as high as Atlanta. Newark,NJ has a high murder rate compared to Atlanta as well, and the percentage of Blacks is on par with Atlanta. Buffalo and Pittsburgh both have higher murder rates than Atlanta despite having lower Black populations. What are the dynamics within the Black populations of those cities?

Something else. Mobile is around 50 percent Black. Its murder rate is lower than all of the cities I just mentioned, at 12.4 murders per 100,000.

We can look at cities in Virginia. Richmond has the highest murder rate of them all in VA, but it's murder rate is far less than St. Louis, or Newark. And the percentage of Blacks in all three cities is somewhat similar. Virginia, which has a higher Black population than Missouri, has a lower murder rate.

It leaves alot to explore within individual cities and the dynamics in them. Rural vs urban is important. It is also important to look at city vs city.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Mississippi is the least urbanized state in the USA. Most of Mississippi's Black population lives in rural areas or small towns. Alot of people are poor. Rural poor areas, however, with some exceptions, tend to have lower murder rates than urban areas.
That may not be true for whites, I suspect the rural - urban murder victim difference for non-hispanic whites is small, may even be the reverse in a few regions with high social ills in rural areas.

Quote:
Look at Missouri, Wisconsin, and Nebraska. Those three states have Black populations smaller than Mississippi, both in percentage and raw numbers. However, most poor Blacks in those states live in the cities, such as St. Louis, Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Omaha. 7 out of 10 Blacks in Wisconsin live in Milwaukee. In Nebraska, about 6 out of 10 Blacks live in Omaha. Where are most of the Black-related murders taking place? In the ghettos of those cities.
The highest black murder rates appear to be industrial cities hit hard with decline and/or large white flight. California doesn't really fit the pattern but both sections of the Bay Area and Los Angeles seem to have had some of the same racial white flight dynamic as old northern cities rather than being purely "sunbelt cities". In particular, Oakland has among the highest black murder rates of any city in the country. San Francisco and a few other East Bay cities are likely similar. Downstate New York and southern New England also doesn't fit the "old city" pattern but in the other direction — a large black immigrant population together with a somewhat more affluent black population overall might explain the difference.

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Murder rate breakdown by race (of victim), per 100k:

Oakland:

White: 4.9
Hispanic: 15.5
Asian: 6.1
Black: 65.2

Chicago:

White: 2.1
Hispanic: 11.0
Asian: 1.0
Black: 37.6

New York City:

White: 1.4
Hispanic: 5.9
Asian: 1.5
Black: 14.6

Hispanic blacks are counted as hispanics for New York City, dunno if the other cities even have a large population of hispanic blacks. For Oakland and Chicago numbers are 2009-2011, New York City, just 2011. For more violent cities such as Baltimore, even if all the murder victims were blacks, the black murder rate would still be lower than Oakland (around 47).

Old 11-17-2015, 02:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 909,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Take a look at the top 20 most murderous cities and check the demographics, I bet yall anything that all of the most dangerous crime ridden neighborhoods in those cities where most of the murders take place are almost all black. Someone prove me wrong.
But take Atlanta or DC for example. There are areas of middle class blacks and poverty-stricken blacks. The murder rate is probably higher where the income is lower. Again, income also plays a part into violent crime.

What is the conclusion you are trying to state? That black people are violent? Even though the vast majority of blacks do not commit violent crime?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:02 PM

448 posts, read 391,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
But take Atlanta or DC for example. There are areas of middle class blacks and poverty-stricken blacks. The murder rate is probably higher where the income is lower. Again, income also plays a part into violent crime.

What is the conclusion you are trying to state? That black people are violent? Even though the vast majority of blacks do not commit violent crime?
Someone had posted in denial about blacks and murders, so I'm just saying.....every city in America in the most dangerous category has a high black population and the most dangerous neighborhoods in those cities are black neighborhoods where most of the killings take place. No one can deny that.

Take a look at those Baltimore neighborhoods or Detroit or east side of Cleveland or the north side of Milwaukee and St.Louis.

Pick a city like Indianapolis and find the high crime neighborhood and check the demographics or Minneapolis.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:09 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,787,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
Minnesota appears to be the safest large state. +1 for Minnesota.
That is providing you don't freeze to death.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Hey, Denver's already had two major snowstorms already this season, Minnesota has had zero. In fact, November so far has been beautifully mild (even warm). No frostbite yet.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
You can freeze to death in Alaska and the murder rate than is higher.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post

I think this is message some people want to put out there. I get that half the murders in the USA are committed by Black men,, against other Black men. Statistics bears this out. I also understand there is more to this than meets the eye.

I live in the Atlanta area. I know there are many impoverished Blacks in the area. Another question to ask is this: Where to the middle class Blacks live?

It is important to look at the dynamics between cities. Pittsburgh and Buffalo have smaller Black populations than Atlanta or DC. However, Buffalo and Pittsburgh have somewhat higher murder rates than Atlanta, and a much higher murder rate than DC.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That may not be true for whites, I suspect the rural - urban murder victim difference for non-hispanic whites is small, may even be the reverse in a few regions with high social ills in rural areas.

The highest black murder rates appear to be industrial cities hit hard with decline and/or large white flight. California doesn't really fit the pattern but both sections of the Bay Area and Los Angeles seem to have had some of the same racial white flight dynamic as old northern cities rather than being purely "sunbelt cities". In particular, Oakland has among the highest black murder rates of any city in the country. San Francisco and a few other East Bay cities are likely similar. Downstate New York and southern New England also doesn't fit the "old city" pattern but in the other direction — a large black immigrant population together with a somewhat more affluent black population overall might explain the difference.

Spoiler

I went back to that thread. I forgot I had posted on that thread. Oakland has it bad. San Francisco has it worse. The Black population is dropping in both cities, and the Black murder rate keep remaining quite high. Oakland is more of the industrial city than San Francisco.

Foreign-born Blacks generally are in better economic shape than American Blacks. It might explain Massachusetts and New York. It would also explain Minnesota vs Wisconsin. During the 1990s, both states were having similar Black imprisonment rates and similar Black homicide rates. Since then, Minnesota has seen things get better, while it remains bad in Wisconsin. Minnesota has alot of foreign-born Blacks, which most of Wisconsin's Black population is American born, and a large amount of it is impoverished. The Rust Belt dynamic in Milwaukee is not nearly as present in Minneapolis or St. Paul.

As for the White murder rate, I think it depends on where you go. Why White urban professionals are the most likely to be in the cities, there is something else to consider: culture. During antebellum America, New England had a much lower White murder rate than the South. I would say culture played a role. West Virginia, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Iowa are all at least 93% White,with large amounts of rural areas. West Virginia stands out, having the highest murder rate, and the main outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.