U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
West Virginia is rather high for a mostly rural state. It's higher than some much more urban Northeast and Upper Midwest states.
West Virginia is still the 15th safest state. Sadly crime has been increasing over the last couple of decades. It used to be in the top 10 of the safest state lists. Prescription drug abuse is a big problem now. Unemployment is also increasing and is now the highest in the nation.

Last edited by tallydude02; 10-22-2015 at 03:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times
Certainly doesn't make me want to jump on a boat and head back to the USVI again. 42.3? Wow. Must be shooting you as you step off the plane.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Im sorry why is Cuba's murder rate so low in comparison to the VI, Caribbean and even the US?
Considering it is a Communist State, I don't see how we can have accurate statistics.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:46 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
West Virginia is still the 15th safest state. Sadly crime has been increasing over the last couple of decades. It used to be in the top 10 of the safest state lists. Prescription drug abuse is a big problem now. Unemployment is also increasing and is now the highest in the nation.
Isn't meth a big problem now, too?

Old 10-23-2015, 12:08 AM

12,842 posts, read 4,640,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Considering it is a Communist State, I don't see how we can have accurate statistics.
Authoritarian countries really dont have alot of street crime, gangs and such.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:19 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Authoritarian countries really dont have alot of street crime, gangs and such.
Yes, I understand, but I have trouble trusting our own government, so I'm a little wary when I see figures from a Communist one that doesn't have free press.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 AM

821 posts, read 1,253,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Isn't meth a big problem now, too?
Not really. It happens every once in a while but it's not epidemic. Meth seems to more of a Midwestern / Deep South problem, but more so in the Midwest.

The Methiest States In The U.S. (INFOGRAPHIC)

Old 10-23-2015, 06:53 AM

44,689 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What on earth is going on in Louisiana?
Dem folks have always been cray cray.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Why lie with murder rates? It maybe hard to believe but if your communist lying about murder rate doesn't make any sense? Also if the Government is strong gangs won't be able to form, and the gap between rich and poor would be a lot less than in a democratic country were if you are lazy you won't succeed and earn lots of money etc. and even if you work hard it all depends on everyone else around you as too whether you succeed or not, while in Cuba your almost guaranteed to be "alright" as in communism most people earn close to the same pay. Russia doesn't lie about their stats and the only time they get angry at the press is when they talk bad about government etc. Russia has many cities with 10 murders per 100k or more which generally is dangerous but they on't hide those stats.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:15 AM

47,997 posts, read 45,452,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why on earth is this the case? Why are black homicide rates in Canada or the UK lower than here? When you consider that African Americans are around 13% of the US population, but committing 50% of murders something is very very wrong.

Is it really just poverty, or as I suspect based on what I see here in Philadelphia, American blacks seem really angry even just walking down the street. God forbid you brush up against them or step on their foot on the bus or you will be screamed at with curses etc. Almost every single one of my friends here living in downtown Philly has dealt with this. I really think when you live in a very capitalistic society like the US with hard core winners and losers and the wealth shoved in your face every day it makes for some very angry people. No hope in their lives and always looking for respect from people they believe are privileged by the color of their skin (Whites). Just my take. This country needs to provide hope for a better life for the people in poverty. Obviously Canada and the UK societies do this cause I never saw an angry black person in Toronto.
Philadelphia most likely has a large underclass amongst its American Black population. Underclass types get angry like that, and are often unhappy. I don't think it's so much capitalism, but much more.

Most Blacks in Canada and the UK are either immigrants or 1st/2nd generation Canadians/British of immigrant parents. They choose to be there, and are happy to be there. I notice with the Africans and Caribbean immigrants. There is a general consensus of "We see ourselves as immigrants who are here in the USA by choice, who want to be here, who see America as a land of opportunity and we can do anything, certainly more than back home". Where as, among the underclass segment of the American Black population, there is a sense of measuring one's self up against the White population, a sense of "we want what they have ,but we can't get it". One's view of America is that of being a minority within America, rather than immigrants.

Now, I am not speaking in absolutes and this is a theory of mine. However, most of the time, I don't think about this. As long as I have work, and I can take care of myself, I'm fine. If someone brings up "the shortcomings of Black Americans", I do take it very personal. I take it personal because often, I wonder why said persons feel it's appropriate to say it to me, as if I'm somehow responsible for it. I often think "I don't live in the 'hood,never have, never will, nothing I can do".

My theory is this. I don't blame capitalism. If immigrants in the USA can make it in capitalism, and there is a substantial growth and Black-owned businesses, then I can't blame capitalism for crime and anger. I blame the violence on anger, broken homes, bad parenting, self-hatred, and valuing material goods over people. I would also theorize that the "us vs the rest of the world" is a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.