U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:39 PM

12,447 posts, read 11,948,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Why is that stupid? Mexico has a murder rate of 17.0 while the four border states have a murder rate averaging 4.5; Is building a wall the answer? I dunno but this map sure makes a good case for doing it.
There's no better case of how Mexican violence doesn't spread in America than to look at El Paso and Juarez. Back in 2008 Juarez had more murders per capita than any city in the world (130 per 100,000). It's since fallen dramatically to 38 per 100,000, which is still pretty bad. El Paso though, right across the border, at last count had only 3.1 murders per 100,000, making it the 10th safest city with more than 100,000 people in the U.S.

FWIW, San Diego, and nearby Chula Vista, have even lower murder rates than El Paso, despite being right next door to Tijuana. The Mexican drug cartels are nasty, but they can't really cause serious mayhem in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 09:15 PM

273 posts, read 269,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's no better case of how Mexican violence doesn't spread in America than to look at El Paso and Juarez. Back in 2008 Juarez had more murders per capita than any city in the world (130 per 100,000). It's since fallen dramatically to 38 per 100,000, which is still pretty bad. El Paso though, right across the border, at last count had only 3.1 murders per 100,000, making it the 10th safest city with more than 100,000 people in the U.S.

FWIW, San Diego, and nearby Chula Vista, have even lower murder rates than El Paso, despite being right next door to Tijuana. The Mexican drug cartels are nasty, but they can't really cause serious mayhem in the U.S.
I think you're being a bit naive and I suppose that's easy for you since you live way out in western PA, far removed from the chaotic, porous southern border. There is indeed great "mayhem" on the southern border with heavy drug and human trafficking on a daily basis. You need to get out of the little bubble you reside in.

You mention San Diego having a relatively low murder rate but what you fail to mention is that there is a major border fence that separates Tijuana and San Diego. I think the border wall in San Diego is proof that they do work as crime was out of control in southern SD County in the 90's when the wall wasn"t there.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:13 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,744,569 times
Quote:
Why is that stupid? Mexico has a murder rate of 17.0 while the four border states have a murder rate averaging 4.5; Is building a wall the answer? I dunno but this map sure makes a good case for doing it.
1. Who's going to pay for it?

2. This isn't age of empires, this is reality.

3. We have far bigger problems to bother with in this country than Mexico.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:51 AM

922 posts, read 1,018,014 times
Quote:
The commonwealth of Puerto Rico is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere; honestly, who the hell cares? They have little impact on the overall murder rate in the US.

The states you mention are small states with populations of about four million apiece with most of their crime concentrated in the urban areas, New Orleans for example. Mexico is a huge country with a population of over 100 million people so they are a legitimate threat. I think building a wall would prevent a lot of that crime from spilling over into this country.
Without a wall, violence in Mexico hasn't spilled over to the U.S. Juarez and Tijuana became more violent while El Paso and San Diego remained among the safest U.S. cities. As a matter of fact, cities which sit closer in proximity to the Mexican border tend to have pedestrian murder rates. Trump talked of the Mexican crime wave that wasn't backed up by statistics.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM

48,276 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Without a wall, violence in Mexico hasn't spilled over to the U.S. Juarez and Tijuana became more violent while El Paso and San Diego remained among the safest U.S. cities. As a matter of fact, cities which sit closer in proximity to the Mexican border tend to have pedestrian murder rates. Trump talked of the Mexican crime wave that wasn't backed up by statistics.
Something more to mention. With the border there, gangs commit the murders in Mexico and lay low on the USA. It is easier for the cartels to get away with murder in Mexico than in the USA. The USA justice system would punish them swiftly.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:21 PM

3,508 posts, read 1,707,066 times
I think Cartels don't kill people on the U.S not because it is easier but mostly because most rival gangs are on The Mexico side. Their is no reason to kill a random person in Mexico or the U.S unless they witness something they aren't supposed to, if they started purposefully killing innocent people for no reason, their wouldn't be anyone living in those cities. They live in fear of accidentally getting shot, but that is different from knowing someone is purposefully targeting you.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:42 PM

706 posts, read 514,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wall might keep criminals from crossing the border. However, what is going to solve states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina? What will solve Puerto Rico, a U.S. Commonwealth?
The thing is you have to build a wall that will stop humans, but let wolves and jaguars cross from Chihuahua to New Mexico. So far, no dice, which is why a lot of boarder in SE New Mexico is still just broken bobwire and vehicular barriers.

Also, Cuidad Juárez is nowhere near as dangerous as it was like 5 years ago.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:29 PM

279 posts, read 364,911 times
Quote:
I think you're being a bit naive and I suppose that's easy for you since you live way out in western PA, far removed from the chaotic, porous southern border. There is indeed great "mayhem" on the southern border with heavy drug and human trafficking on a daily basis. You need to get out of the little bubble you reside in.

You mention San Diego having a relatively low murder rate but what you fail to mention is that there is a major border fence that separates Tijuana and San Diego. I think the border wall in San Diego is proof that they do work as crime was out of control in southern SD County in the 90's when the wall wasn"t there.

You think he lives in a bubble because he's in Pittsburgh? If that's the case I got news for you dude, most of America is "in a bubble", because most Americans don't live anywhere near the Mexican border.

If you're so afraid of Mexicans, MOVE FURTHER AWAY FROM MEXICO. You live in L.A. Not the best place to be if you're afraid of Mexicans. Maybe you should relocate to Maine or something. But why the rest of the country should spend money to quell your irrational fear (irrational because of the data already cited in this thread) is beyond me.

In most places around this country, there are plenty of people who are U.S. citizens, born and raised here, many of whom have never left this country, who commit violent crimes all of the time. What about them? Can we build walls to keep them out? Besides that there are already physical barriers along sections of the U.S.-Mexico border and there's also an extensive underground tunnel network to circumvent that border. Then of course there's the open seas which can also be used as a way to enter the U.S. illegally.

Again, if you're that afraid of Mexicans, try leaving Los Angeles first before voting for Trump and putting the rest of this country into jeopardy.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM

4,405 posts, read 4,614,703 times
I live a lot closer to the Canadian than Mexican border yet the city I am in is around 50% Mexican and a lot higher if illegals were counted. Often times I hear more people in public speaking Spanish than English. The reason this area is so Mexican is many work in the fields to pick fruit.

Having such a high Hispanic population has not caused an unusually high murder or violent crime rate, it's (contrary to perception) near the national average. But property crimes such as home burglaries and car thefts are through the roof (although trending down).

Anyway, I actually like living in a city with a super high Mexican %. This is because I am attracted to Hispanic women and enjoy interacting with them, at least those who speak English which seems to be the majority even if it's often a second language.

Also, even if I am not anti-immigration I would still vote for Trump because I like his stands on orher issues such as being anti-TPP. Plus, any candidate the establishment has such a high level of contempt for appeals to me by default.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:27 AM

606 posts, read 526,920 times
Living in a country with high murder rates is bad, but most times the victims are people who are already involved with the crime.

Criminals kill mainly other criminals.

If you are a "normal citizen", the probably of being randomly killed in the street isn't something to fear of. Unfortunately it happens sometimes in the most dangerous areas.

Brazil is one of the most dangerous countries in the world, but the last time i heard a gunshot was more than 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.