Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 AM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Not really. It happens every once in a while but it's not epidemic. Meth seems to more of a Midwestern / Deep South problem, but more so in the Midwest.

The Methiest States In The U.S. (INFOGRAPHIC)
Missouri, Indiana, and Tennessee are well represented in meth. I wonder if that might play a small role in Missouri's high murder rate(outside of St. Louis and Kansas City).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
According the the crime map posted, that's true! Wish I could afford to retire there!

I can't say based on personal experience, however, since I was only in Hawaii for 2 weeks in 1988. (Yes, I felt very safe) However, I doubt if there is any place that is 100% crime free and visitors should always be aware of their surroundings and use common sense.
I know a woman who has been to Jamaica a few times. She mentioned that she prefers going to Jamaica vs going to Cancun/Mexican Riviera. I thought "Jamaica has a high murder rate", why go there. She also didn't go to Kingston.

As for Hawaii, I wonder if the rule for Hawaii would be the same for Jamaica. There is what tourists see, and then there is what locals see. Jamaica is never touted as a violent place. In fact, the #1 place in the Caribbean that gets a bad rap(besides Cuba) is Haiti.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:17 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Not really. It happens every once in a while but it's not epidemic. Meth seems to more of a Midwestern / Deep South problem, but more so in the Midwest.

And then there's this map:

USA Federal Substance Abuse Statistics ... National Substance Abuse Index

I'm not sure what year that's from.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:48 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:

That seems to be the upper south not the deep south, by the way.

The deep south save for SC seems to be pretty clean in comparison.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:29 PM

273 posts, read 349,702 times
That map is a perfect illustration as to why we need a wall on the southern border. Mexico has a murder rate four times that of the four border states. I guess Donald Trump was right after all.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
That map is a perfect illustration as to why we need a wall on the southern border. Mexico has a murder rate four times that of the four border states. I guess Donald Trump was right after all.
That's stupid. Donald Trump is stupid. People who agree with him are even dumber.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's stupid. Donald Trump is stupid. People who agree with him are even dumber.
Bingo, CS!

The thought of his make-believe wall on the border is even more stupid, and anyone that thinks Trump can 'force' Mexico to pay for it is beyond stupid.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
I wall might keep criminals from crossing the border. However, what is going to solve states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina? What will solve Puerto Rico, a U.S. Commonwealth?

Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Why is that stupid? Mexico has a murder rate of 17.0 while the four border states have a murder rate averaging 4.5; Is building a wall the answer? I dunno but this map sure makes a good case for doing it.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I wall might keep criminals from crossing the border. However, what is going to solve states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina? What will solve Puerto Rico, a U.S. Commonwealth?
The commonwealth of Puerto Rico is a tiny island in the middle of nowhere; honestly, who the hell cares? They have little impact on the overall murder rate in the US.

The states you mention are small states with populations of about four million apiece with most of their crime concentrated in the urban areas, New Orleans for example. Mexico is a huge country with a population of over 100 million people so they are a legitimate threat. I think building a wall would prevent a lot of that crime from spilling over into this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.