Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 01:11 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,951,773 times

Advertisements

I think it's fair to state that some cities mass transit works better on paper than in reality. DC Metro comes to mind. People often pout it's high ridership, what feeling to realize or note that that it functions as both as subway and commuter rail, so it should be compared to San Francisco's Bart and Muni or Chicago's L and Metra. They don't note that it's expensive and offers surprisingly little city neighborhood coverage.

What city's mass transit is better or worse than the data shows, and explain why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,097,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think it's fair to state that some cities mass transit works better on paper than in reality. DC Metro comes to mind. People often pout it's high ridership, what feeling to realize or note that that it functions as both as subway and commuter rail, so it should be compared to San Francisco's Bart and Muni or Chicago's L and Metra. They don't note that it's expensive and offers surprisingly little city neighborhood coverage.

What city's mass transit is better or worse than the data shows, and explain why.
When I lived there I did not find that D.C. lacked in "neighborhood coverage". It was fairly easy to get across the District and into Virginia and Maryland when necessary.

I will agree the D.C. metro is not cheap and it has been having a ton of issues lately due to maintenance needs. For what it's worth I have heard good things about D.C. city buses.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,323,452 times
I certainly don't think DC lacks in "neighborhood coverage". Excepting NYC, which U.S. has notably better "neighborhood coverage"?

And I also don't think DC Metro is that expensive. Maybe a bit more than average subway systems and a bit less than average commuter rail systems. Seems fair to me.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
When I lived there I did not find that D.C. lacked in "neighborhood coverage". It was fairly easy to get across the District and into Virginia and Maryland when necessary.

I will agree the D.C. metro is not cheap and it has been having a ton of issues lately due to maintenance needs. For what it's worth I have heard good things about D.C. city buses.
Metro doesn't serve Georgetown, Adams Morgan or half of the predominantly black neighborhoods in the city.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,097,842 times
Quote:
Metro doesn't serve Georgetown, Adams Morgan or half of the predominantly black neighborhoods in the city.
Georgetown itself doesn't want the metro to keep an "exclusive" vibe. That speaks more to the specific neighborhood's demographics and its residents' desires than D.C.'s lack of transit.

Adams Morgan is served by the Red line and the Woodly Park-Zoo metro stop. I don't really know which black neighborhoods your talking about in particular. Almost everywhere in the diamond boundaries has a metro stop close by.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Georgetown itself doesn't want the metro to keep an "exclusive" vibe. That speaks more to the specific neighborhood's demographics and its residents' desires than D.C.'s lack of transit.

Adams Morgan is served by the Red line and the Woodly Park-Zoo metro stop. I don't really know which black neighborhoods your talking about in particular. Almost everywhere in the diamond boundaries has a metro stop close by.
The Woodley Park stop is easily a half mile outside of Adams Morgan.

As for the black neighborhoods thing, there's no metro in Petworth or Trinidad or, frankly, most middle-class black neighborhoods. And then there's this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...e-youre-white/

Old 09-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
It does serve Adams Morgan, and Georgetown is a short walk away. It doesn't serve all neighborhoods, of course, but couldn't we do the same exercise with any city (excepting NYC)? I don't think there's a black neighborhood in DC that's more than a mile from a subway stop.

SF's BART basically serves no one unless you're right on Market Street. Philly only serves people in basically an "X". Chicago has more lines, but misses huge swaths of the city, including most of the South Side. Boston proper has lots of neighborhoods without subway service. How is DC so different?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:

As for the black neighborhoods thing, there's no metro in Petworth or Trinidad or, frankly, most middle-class black neighborhoods.
Both Petworth and Trinidad have Metro stops. In fact there's a Metro stop named Petworth.

You could even play this game for NYC. Until the Second Avenue Subway opens, there's no north-south rail on the Far East Side. Far West Chelsea has no subway. Red Hook has no subway. Parts of Northern Bed Stuy have poor subway service. Midtown west of 8th/north of 42nd, has no subway. Parts of Dumbo/Vinegar Hill are a long walk to the train.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:01 PM

14,351 posts, read 17,003,432 times
Quote:
When I lived in DC I'd walk from that stop to Adams Morgan all the time. It's only 15 minutes on foot. Not terrible at all, though I guess it would get old if I had lived there.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:03 PM

4,674 posts, read 7,394,167 times
NYC is, of course, heads and shoulders above all the rest.

The remaining are the usual suspects, and all of these transit systems have their shortcomings in one way or another:

Chicago
DC
Boston
Philly
SF
LA (hesitate somewhat to add, but they have a very useful and extremely extensive bus system, but an extremely underutilized subway system)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.