U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you been able to use PIN-and-Signature debit/credit card in your city?
YES 16 84.21%
NO 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times

Advertisements

Just now at Walgreens picking up a script. Had to swipe and have the chip read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:40 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,069,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Just now at Walgreens picking up a script. Had to swipe and have the chip read.
What do you mean? You had to do both?

I've forgotten and tried to swipe my chip card at Target more than once, and was immediately told that I needed to insert it into the chip reader instead.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:46 PM

525 posts, read 617,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

I've forgotten and tried to swipe my chip card at Target more than once, and was immediately told that I needed to insert it into the chip reader instead.
If they have chip reader but had to swipe, this means they did not activate the chip reader yet.

Looks like most retailers and restaurants are slow with adoption even if they have new reader in place to avoid "little inconvenience" from doing the new way or little longer process.

The reason why for chip takes a little longer to read, is because it contacts a remote server to verify authenticity of the card before it processes it.

Sooner or later they will have to switch or enable it. Once the liability angle strikes their home (THEIR POCKET) the adoption will go as fast as machines can be churned out.

Btw I think even if you have the card with chip and chip reader at the shop, you can still swipe if the merchant trusts you. Target of course disabled swipe for those who have chip since they do no longer want to deal with another fraud or security breach.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,069,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
Btw I think even if you have the card with chip and chip reader at the shop, you can still swipe if the merchant trusts you.
I can understand that, but don't know why on earth you would have to do both as the previous poster stated.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I can understand that, but don't know why on earth you would have to do both as the previous poster stated.
I think the poster mean't even if the store has chip read, he still had to swipe, because they did not activate the chip reader.

Many have them but still have not activated it yet despite the fact that the deadline for liability fraud shifted to retailers on October 1st who have not upgraded their terminals but the compromised cards used have already the chip.

So for example, if someone steals your card that has chip and use it to purchase at a retailer who has not upgraded their terminals, they will be liable for fraud charges, not the bank. If hacker installs malicious software on their systems and credit card data gets compromised, they will be liable for all fraudulent charges from stolen credit card info if they have not upgraded their terminals. If the bank has not issued the new card, the bank will still eat the fees.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:34 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,137,316 times
Quote:

Yes, they had me swipe the card on the side and at the bottom of the unit was the chip reader where I had to insert the card face up. First time I've encountered that. I don't know why either, just wanted to pay and get out. It is what it is.

This pic is very similar to what they used at Walgreens.

http://www.cardmachineoutlet.com/pro...snAaAsI08P8HAQ

Old 10-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Yes, they had me swipe the card on the side and at the bottom of the unit was the chip reader where I had to insert the card face up. First time I've encountered that. I don't know why either, just wanted to pay and get out. It is what it is.

This pic is very similar to what they used at Walgreens.

Verifone Mx860, TCH SIG, 128Mb, Ethernet, 2.0, Terminal, PIN Pad (M094 | CardMachineOutlet.com - Credit Card Machines & Accessories
You ran into undertrained bighead employee. Some dont know some things but pretend they are smart and know better than you. All you had to do was to insert card at the bottom and wait for it to finish transaction before you could pull it put.

Or employee simply did not know you have to insert since you have chip and terminal blocked swipe detecting it is updated with chip. Since they wete not trained for tansition from store management how could they know.

How many walgreens clerk travel abroad on minimum wage without paid vacation benefits to have seen and know how those work? Not many.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Here in Indy, I'd say it's half and half, but the new readers are very fiddly.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM

5,202 posts, read 7,880,068 times
I expect there will be lawsuits against banks and the credit card companies once retailers are hit with the liability costs.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:37 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 17 days ago)

10,463 posts, read 14,307,686 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
You ran into undertrained bighead employee. Some dont know some things but pretend they are smart and know better than you. All you had to do was to insert card at the bottom and wait for it to finish transaction before you could pull it put.

Or employee simply did not know you have to insert since you have chip and terminal blocked swipe detecting it is updated with chip. Since they wete not trained for tansition from store management how could they know.

How many walgreens clerk travel abroad on minimum wage without paid vacation benefits to have seen and know how those work? Not many.
Would be nice if people didn't make assumptions about things they aren't familiar with
Since the change, our readers still default to the standard 'swipe your card' message the first time the customer uses a chipped card.
Once the card is swiped it asks for the chip to be inserted. Thereafter when the card is used it simply asks for the chip to be inserted.
Cashiers don't know if your card has a chip or not, they are going to go with what the register tells them, which is to use the swipe if this is your first transaction since the update.
And no, if you have a chip you must use it in order for the transaction to complete, it won't finish if you simply swipe the card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or