Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 24,503 times

Advertisements

I live in Atlanta, GA and as a Venezuelan guy who was born and raised in the USA. Born in Texas, played football in high school, and then went to an SEC university where my mind would actually start to think about my ethnic appearance. In Texas, I was in a mostly Hispanic and white area where people got along well for the most part.

As I went to Atlanta for work, I found that it was only the black people and minorities in general here who have been accepting and welcoming towards me. A lot of the white people I interact with at work and in other aspects of my life are very standoffish and not that welcoming.

Just recently I started dating this European transplant, who is ethnically white, and it has led to some subtle and not so flattering comments from some of the guys I know at work such as:

"Whats wrong with dating Hispanic women? I am not trying to be racist or anything."

"Wow I didn't know you were that crazy for our women." (said one guy)

The women I know from work who are white, especially if they are middle aged, have run into my girlfriend at times at cafes and done things like ask her "you're not seriously dating him are you?". Now I have also found that the place I work in draws a lot of people that went to SEC schools and many of whom were involved in Greek Life at those schools which don't have the best reputation when it comes to race relations. One of my friends is a Korean guy, trying to fit in, who gets it worse than I do, people have actually talked negatively about him behind his back and often said things along the lines of "he actually thinks he can fit in with us, sorry brother go hang out with your own crowd".

Now I understand that America is an overwhelmingly white country once you get to the wealthier and more affluent parts of it and once you work in the professional world as well. Interacting with white people is for the most part necessary if you are upwardly mobile.

I want to know though, what parts of the USA have a inclusive and accepting white population that will generally judge a person on how they act vs how they actually look?

The reason I ask is if I become a dad and raise kids, I want to raise my kids in an area better than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:14 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
...Most of it. WTF is wrong with those people?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
...Most of it. WTF is wrong with those people?
Well, these people went to colleges where frat houses have confederate flags hanging on them. Then again I have heard that in places such as California and New York, you get a lot of whites who will act friendly and swear they love minorities yet avoid them whenever possible.

I never really thought race to be much of an issue when I was living in Texas, wonder if moving back to Texas might be the only smart decision I can make here but I am open to experiencing life in a blue state.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,033,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomandecker View Post
...wonder if moving back to Texas might be the only smart decision I can make here but I am open to experiencing life in a blue state.
Are you saying your politics are blue? People are usually more accepting of people with similar politics. If you believe in red state values, going back to Texas is probably best.

You don't want to trade one kind of rejection (ethnic) for another (political).

Old 09-18-2015, 02:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Southern California doesn't have this problem. If anything, the Hispanic population rules there (mostly the second generation; if you're not one of them, forget it); but overall, $$$ rules all.

Seattle doesn't have this problem, but it has oodles of more frustrating problems.

I once lived in a very racist town in California, which while very socially inclusive, will never let you forget your heritage (with comments even more disparaging than you mentioned re: Atlanta).

Denver has felt more quietly racist to me, not quite how you describe Atlanta, but more backhanded/out of left field, and strangely exclusive/sectarian.

Spokane, WA doesn't know what race is. I enjoyed this the most.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:45 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
it is hard to believe that in this day and age when companies can be sued so easily and there is an aggressive justice department in dealing with racial bias in the workplace, people are making idiotic and racist statements like that at work. Are you in a blue collar profession and this is in downtown atlanta ? you dont have to put up with that kind of stuff in the workplace.

Blue states are no more or less racist than anywhere else though it may not be as out in the open, atlanta is a blue city. You could come up here to dc or baltimore and its very diverse but these cities have alot of very big problems the further you get in the northeast corridor. I love texas, I was just watching the rangers game last night on tv and was amazed at all the diversity,all the good looking hispanic and asian girls at the game and all the mixed race couples. Alot of hispanic politicians too, Texas really seems to have done a very good job of integrating and its a booming market for jobs

Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Southern California doesn't have this problem. If anything, the Hispanic population rules there (mostly the second generation; if you're not one of them, forget it); but overall, $$$ rules all.

Seattle doesn't have this problem, but it has oodles of more frustrating problems.

I once lived in a very racist town in California, which while very socially inclusive, will never let you forget your heritage (with comments even more disparaging than you mentioned re: Atlanta).

Denver has felt more quietly racist to me, not quite how you describe Atlanta, but more backhanded/out of left field, and strangely exclusive/sectarian.

Spokane, WA doesn't know what race is. I enjoyed this the most.
Judging from the name, I am guessing you're latino too eh hermano!

Do you have the darker skinned look though? I find that in Atlanta, people are accepting of the latinos like a Messi that looks white.

I always wanted to go to Colorado, never been but the state seems beautiful to me. Would love to know about the racial climate there.

My politics are more towards center but I would say I lean slightly to the right due to my Texas upbringing. Then again, I don't talk politics out in the open and being rejected for my political beliefs is more acceptable to me than being rejected for having black hair, brown eyes, and a non-white appearance.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:49 PM

I will say this though, when I was single all the hatred was reserved and more behind closed doors. No one really bothered me and tbh, I was just excluded from everything while people hardly talked to me. When I started dating a white girl, it went from bad to worse. My girlfriend is a blonde too and she has that stereotypical Northern European look, the kind that southern guys go bananas over.

Something I think about is even if some of the areas might have white people who are okay with the idea of talking to, partying with, and hanging out with a latino, would the hostility towards me being with a white woman still be there?

The reason I want to know is, well, lets be honest, mostly all White and Hispanic interracial relationships involve a white man with a latina, hardly ever happens the other way around. I don't know of any Hispanic men dating white women here in Atlanta.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:57 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomandecker View Post
Judging from the name, I am guessing you're latino too eh hermano!

Do you have the darker skinned look though? I find that in Atlanta, people are accepting of the latinos like a Messi that looks white.

I always wanted to go to Colorado, never been but the state seems beautiful to me. Would love to know about the racial climate there.

My politics are more towards center but I would say I lean slightly to the right due to my Texas upbringing. Then again, I don't talk politics out in the open and being rejected for my political beliefs is more acceptable to me than being rejected for having black hair, brown eyes, and a non-white appearance.
Yes. Dark hair, dark eyes, darker than Messi, slightly darker than Fluffy.

Colorado is beautiful in many places. Here in Denver, I find the racial climate to be below average.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
my dad lives in south florida and it is very common to see interracial relationships, it seems like the majority of them are when I am out at bars. latinos make up a sizable part of all the counties starting around tampa and going southward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.