U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 13,137,988 times

Advertisements

No, we go through about 1000 pieces of candy every halloween. We run out before Trick or Treaters are finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 04:00 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When I first moved into my suburban, single-family-house neighborhood 15 years ago, we would get almost 100 kids coming through on Halloween. But it's been steadily declining, and last year I think we barely cracked 50. However, this seems to be more a function of the young kids in my neighborhood growing up and outgrowing the trick-or-treating years, without being replaced (as much) by new, younger kids moving in.

In the nearby townhouse community, the streets are thronged with young kids. There are simply more of them, in that community.
We've lived in our neighborhood for 26 years, since our kids were 2 and 5. The same thing happened, but then the last few years, we've been getting more again. Houses that sell are being sold to families, for the most part. I expect a lot this year, with Halloween on a Saturday.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 PM

915 posts, read 1,663,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
For some reason, this is "news" in Milwaukee every year, but nowhere else that I've seen. Actually, the reason is probably the fact that it's the most segregated city in the country, and people in the burbs are still reeling from white flight 30-40 years ago. Gross. I thought it was a time for giving, and what spoiled "nice area" brat needs another mini-Snickers? On the other hand, you could make the month for some poor kids by being nice and generous and making the holiday special for them.

I'm sure that's not the tone you meant to set here, but I've heard it in more racist terms quite a bit every October since I've been living here.
I just telling the way it is. Vans pull up and seven or eight kids jump out with adults and off they go. Not just a few vans either and they run from house to house hoping that every one in three will answer. I'm talking hundreds of kids. It is crazy. It's not just my upper east side neighborhood either, this includes Tosa, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, areas of the south side, maybe Bay View.

It's gotten to the point where neighborhoods, such as Washington Heights, have it on a different day and the child most have an I.D. or pass.

It's not really Trick or Treat it feels more like an invasion. If you don't believe me come up to Newberry Blvd around 1 or 2pm on Trick or Treat day. I have no problems giving candy to kids, even some from outside the area, but I really don't want to supply the entire north side of Milwaukee with candy. If you feel that people are gross or racist, do us all a favor and show up with $300 worth of candy and give it away.

Can you get any more self righteous - give me a break.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:36 PM

12,255 posts, read 18,022,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
I just telling the way it is. Vans pull up and seven or eight kids jump out with adults and off they go. Not just a few vans either and they run from house to house hoping that every one in three will answer. I'm talking hundreds of kids. It is crazy. It's not just my upper east side neighborhood either, this includes Tosa, Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, areas of the south side, maybe Bay View.

It's gotten to the point where neighborhoods, such as Washington Heights, have it on a different day and the child most have an I.D. or pass.

It's not really Trick or Treat it feels more like an invasion. If you don't believe me come up to Newberry Blvd around 1 or 2pm on Trick or Treat day. I have no problems giving candy to kids, even some from outside the area, but I really don't want to supply the entire north side of Milwaukee with candy. If you feel that people are gross or racist, do us all a favor and show up with $300 worth of candy and give it away.

Can you get any more self righteous - give me a break.
I for one don't care where the kids come from when they trick or treat, and once I'm out of candy I'm out. No need to break the budget just to supply EVERYBODY. And I sure as hell wouldn't ask little kids for ID in order to give them some candy.
I live in a nice little neighborhood in the north side of Chicago and we have lots of kids from straight out dangerous hoods coming to trick or treat over here. They are just kids. They are suppose to feel safe not fearing for their life. If that means my neighbors kids gets less candy then so be it.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,305,108 times
I think helicopter parents and early start times, while safer, have taken a lot of the spooky fun out of the Holiday. Used to be my favorite part of the year as a kid and again later still getting to dress up handing out candy for a local business.

Maybe the rise of cosplay/conventions has had something to do with it? Dressing up isn't as special or a once a year thing anymore?

Also noticed the scary movies they show on TV have gotten away from the classics in favor of the lessor remakes. In middle school to high school the scary movie marathon was big.

Since I've been in the south I don't think it's as big a deal as it is in some other areas, which is probably due to the religious influence. For example I didn't realize Hell Houses were real. I just thought a "haunted house" where they preach fire and brimstone at you couldn't possibly be real.

Although that said haunted houses have become a much bigger deal. Years ago you'd get basically a barn, rubber masks, jump scares, and a hayride. Now you have professionals working in a lot of them and multi-million dollar companies creating complex corn mazes.

It could be as simple as kids are more sophisticated now and they figure it's better to just buy their own candy and head for the haunted house or movie theater.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 AM

45,031 posts, read 36,285,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
About the same here. During the recession they would all bring in the kids from some of the poorer hoods and cleaned everyone out pretty fast. I had to make a few runs to the store for extra candy
Yep, I've had to do that on occasion myself. But I don't mind running out to get more candy for kids who are having a terrific time, and thankfully we have money in the budget for it. If I have any left over, I just give it to my grandkids or save it for Christmas stockings. It'll keep!

I guess we live in Howdy Doody land or something, but our neighborhood really pulls out all the stops for Halloween. We are about 1/3 families with kids, 1/3 middle aged empty nesters, and 1/3 elderly - and very family friendly. Many of the homes are already decked out for Halloween. We have one family who morphs their entire yard and garage into an elaborate and free haunted house - that's actually professional quality! Many homes do like we do and play Halloween songs on their front porch which is decorated with all sorts of scary stuff.

The word has apparently been out for a long time that our safe, not gated but enclosed (no through streets) is kid friendly on Halloween, because when we bought out house the neighbors told us, "You know about Halloween, right?" "What about it?" "You are going to be inundated. Either plan for hundreds of kids or plan to be out of town."

Since my family LOVES Halloween, the choice was easy! My grandkids come over, we all dress up, and the adults take turns watching the door while we run the kids around the neighborhood and through the haunted house. I LOVE IT!!!!!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-08-2015 at 06:44 AM..

Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That's usually because their own "hoods" are not safe enough to walk around and knock on doors. It's just kids. Who cares where they come from.
I absolutely agree. I know that hundreds of kids who don't live in our neighborhood come from all over, and I don't care. I don't care what color they are, what language they're speaking, or how old they are. This is small town Texas and the vast majority of kids are still raised to be polite, so we don't have very many who don't say, "THANK YOU!" or "GRACIAS!" when we load them up.

We only had about four sets of teens last year. Nearly all the kids are little kids.

The only "bad" thing about times now is that parents who bring their kids from other neighborhoods do cruise very slowly by in mini vans, and even in pickup trucks that are sometimes filled with parents in the back who are clearly having a terrific time. It slows down traffic but I guess that's a good thing since the streets are teeming with kids.

It's just one big party atmosphere and that's fine by me. Everyone is super friendly and happy.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:40 AM

775 posts, read 844,860 times
A few other factors that come to mind are the increased awareness against junk food as a way to prevent obesit, the 2007 shift of ending of Daylight Savings Time to after Halloween (meaning that it gets dark later in many places yet people still like to shut down earlier), and the ever-increasing presence of alternatives of entertainment. Halloween is still as popular as ever despite this thread with all of the festivals, decorations, costumes, and entertainment options, meaning that trick-or-treating is still far from dying; it just tends to focus itself less on Halloween night itself but spread throughout the "season".

Old 10-08-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
A few other factors that come to mind are the increased awareness against junk food as a way to prevent obesit, the 2007 shift of ending of Daylight Savings Time to after Halloween (meaning that it gets dark later in many places yet people still like to shut down earlier), and the ever-increasing presence of alternatives of entertainment. Halloween is still as popular as ever despite this thread with all of the festivals, decorations, costumes, and entertainment options, meaning that trick-or-treating is still far from dying; it just tends to focus itself less on Halloween night itself but spread throughout the "season".
Right.

Another big and newish development in this section of the Bible Belt is "Trunk or Treat." These events are very popular and take place in church parking lots. Scary costumes are not allowed. People deck out the beds of their pickup trucks or backs of their vehicles with all sorts of themes and they give out candy. I'm sure they get lots of "traffic" from people who don't attend their churches, but the idea is that the candy sources are safer than completely random strangers, there's no through traffic (no moving vehicles allowed) and there's no "evil" or "Satanic" or scary costumes allowed.

I've never been to one of those and frankly am not particularly interested but a lot of parents do like this venue. It's actually pretty huge around here, with a church on every corner!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 AM

12,447 posts, read 11,951,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I think helicopter parents and early start times, while safer, have taken a lot of the spooky fun out of the Holiday. Used to be my favorite part of the year as a kid and again later still getting to dress up handing out candy for a local business.
I think early start times play a big role. The "official" Halloween time here runs from 6 to 8. Not only is this a ridiculously short window, it also means you need to be quick getting home from work or you'll miss the start of it, when little kids are going out. And in my experience, kids seldom come after 7:30. I'm only in my mid 30s, and I definitely remember staying out until after 10 trick or treating when I was little.

The only thing I really hate about handing out candy is the people who go out with their baby in a stroller, who is dressed up, and ask for candy. It's friggin obvious to all who is going to be eating the candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.