U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:21 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,171,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In the Pittsburgh area, where eschaton lives and where I grew up, the various communities set their own trick or treat times, and sometimes their own days, either Oct. 30 or 31. This has not been the case anywhere else I have lived.
That's how it was where I grew up, in Virginia. In my town, trick-or-treating time was 5-8pm on Halloween.

In Jersey City, NJ, kids do not trick-or-treat door-to-door. I think in part it's because parents wouldn't want their kids roaming around strange apartment building hallways, and in other part, apartment/condo residents wouldn't want packs of kids/teenagers coming in and roaming around their hallways and common areas. Instead, there's a street fair on the main commercial street in my neighborhood. A stage with kid-themed music, costume contests, pumpkin carving/decorating, and the kids go trick-or-treating to all of the businesses and restaurants up and down the street until 10pm. And there's a spookier festival at the historic cemetery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:53 PM

13,226 posts, read 17,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In the Pittsburgh area, where eschaton lives and where I grew up, the various communities set their own trick or treat times, and sometimes their own days, either Oct. 30 or 31. This has not been the case anywhere else I have lived.
There was never a set time for trick-or-treating in the suburb of Pittsburgh that I grew up in.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 AM

17,427 posts, read 21,267,665 times
I'm actually ashamed of my neighborhood, so selfish, me and the corner house occupant, year after year, we're the only ones passing out candy. With what the younger generation will face, in the future, if I could afford it, I'd give each of them both candy and $20 bill.

Back when I was trick-or-treating, in MN, in the 1950's, just about everyone in the neighborhood passed out candy, as they knew the consequences if they didn't, as back then, you carried soap with you, and toilet paper, and for those that were too stingy to pass out candy, they'd wake up with soap on their house or car windows, and toilet paper streams on shrubbery/trees.

There was a Jehovah Witness family up the street, and due to their religion?, they refused to participate in Halloween, with their house lights out, and if you came close to their house, to soap a window, they'd come flying out the front or back door, chasing us away!

I tell these young kids today about what it was like for me, as a trick-or-treater, with the soap/toilet tissue stories, and they're shocked to no end, or amused by it.

So I tell them: next Halloween, bring soap with you!

Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 AM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
There was never a set time for trick-or-treating in the suburb of Pittsburgh that I grew up in.
Don't know where you lived, but here's last year's list. Note that several in Armstrong County are Oct. 29 and several in Beaver Co Oct. 30. It was the same way when I was a kid in the 50s/60s.
Trick-or-Treat Times 2014 | www.wpxi.com

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-09-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,725,659 times
I was puzzled on moving to the Harrisburg PA area where they set up an official time by municipality, most often the Thursday before Halloween 6 to 8 pm. Borough councils and township boards vote on this. There was a rebellion of sorts led by transplants for a couple of years but with Halloween on Saturday it seems towns have reverted to the Thursday before scenario. Some towns are recalcitrant. I still wonder how in 2008 the advance team for Sarah Palin found one of the very few communities that actually always does trick or treat on Halloween itself.

Our neighborhood is split between 70's split-levels and 90's McMansions. The split-levels on the flat more open loop that's lit get numerous kids. Our street gets practically none as it's an unlit dead end with a 13% grade with a minimum 75' each from street to front door.

Most towns around here have a Halloween parade, this year our township said it's the 68th annual. It seems like about half the kids in town are in the parade with their sports team or whatever. The other 1.5x the kids in town bunch up on the smaller streets toward the beginning of the parade route, as the paraders typically run out of candy to toss by the time they circle around to the judging stand. Businesses, politicians, etc. are sometimes in the parade as well, although they buy the candy to hand out while the kids groups (if registered) get a box each donated by a local company.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

6,596 posts, read 4,108,525 times
Well, a town board "deciding" which day is for trick-or-treating and setting time limits is one of the silliest and most useless intrusions of government into people's lives that I've ever heard of. It astonishes me that the constituents actually go along with this.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:52 AM

45,027 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Well, a town board "deciding" which day is for trick-or-treating and setting time limits is one of the silliest and most useless intrusions of government into people's lives that I've ever heard of. It astonishes me that the constituents actually go along with this.
LOL I can't see that flying down here in Texas.

In my town, trick or treat on Halloween night is alive and well, and we like it that way. No set times - but when we're done handing out candy we just turn off the porch lights. (In my case, I have to blow out candles and turn off the Halloween music as well.) We also cut off all the lights in the front of the house. People just don't go to houses that are darkened.

The last trick or treaters seem to wander off about 9 pm regardless of whether Halloween is on a weekday or weekend.

And I don't care what neighborhoods they come from. I'm glad that our neighborhood can be hospitable and safe for area kids. For that matter, I don't care what ages the people are - I figure anyone who takes the time to put together a costume can have a couple of pieces of candy from me for the entertainment value.

The only thing that ever sort of bugs me - and that's an overstatement - is the VERY occasional teenager who doesn't bother to even put on a costume, but just slouches up to the porch and mumbles, "Trick or treat." In that case, I usually say, "Oh let me guess what you are - A GNARLY TEENAGER! SUCH a convincing costume!" Then I give them some candy and they're off. No biggie - in fact, it's sort of fun to embarrass them that way. I do figure they deserve it.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM

741 posts, read 2,546,162 times
oh man it TOTALLY HAS!! changed...

and for the worst.

When I was a kid, we went everywhere around the neighborhoods by ourselves, now.. and particularly around here in DC area with so many dang helicopter parents... what are kids doing..

Scheduled visits to some "safe area" during the day.. or they take them to a mall... a figging MALL?!?!?

Every year my wife and I have always wondered where the heck are the kids and the costumes this year cause every year less and less of them show up!?

It's really sad I think.... call me nostalgic and a sucker but that's not having a childhood... sorry...

oh and we don't hand out lousy candy... we give the good stuff ALWAYS!!! never that lousy candy no kid wants to eat, always chocolate, good size bars... AND NEVER APPLES...

Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM

43,566 posts, read 52,728,947 times
Our house gets very few trick or treaters and most of them are from other neighborhoods like poor neighborhoods (I can tell from thhe beater vans) because our homes are spaced too far apart to make for efficient trick-or-treating. For that reason, we just leave some candy out by the front door, and we go with friends to their neighborhoods where the houses are closer together and there's more of a trick or treat culture from the kids who actually live there. Also, because our homes are more expensive, there are fewer people here with little kids because most people can't afford big homes at the same time as when they're having little children. So my 3 year old and one year old have to go somewhere else.

But since my neighbors do know my kids, we always stop by and say hello to them after we come back.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:59 AM

40,171 posts, read 24,385,908 times
I haven't had trick-or-treaters for a couple of years. Lights are on, jack-o-lanterns lit, but my small town has several churches, which set up trunk-a-treats (the church has members fill up several cars' trunks with candy, small toys, balls, etc), and pretty much everyone takes their kids to church for Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.