U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:08 PM

645 posts, read 610,552 times

Advertisements

I think so, it is! I lived in an apartment till now. So had no one come over. First time in a house this year. I will chocs ready. But i dont think anyone will come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:20 PM

4,995 posts, read 7,308,744 times
Kids in my neighborhood in Miami are still trick-or-treating. I think it depends completely on the neighborhood you are located. Where my parents live, they may see like 10 - 15 kids. In my neighborhood, it's a zoo. It just depends on the neighborhoods. A lot of the gated communities within Miami have fantastic trick-or-treating.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:31 PM

952 posts, read 1,077,787 times
I live in a solidly middle/working class neighborhood in a suburb of Phoenix. For the last 3 years I've gotten maybe 20 - 30 kids.

The 5 p.m. start time is ridiculous. I usually don't get home from work until 6ish and my wife 7ish. I don't know how so many other people can get home so soon to pass out candy at 5.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:05 PM

645 posts, read 610,552 times
5PM? Even I reach home around 7. And normally go out to party! So it might be I miss all the kids!!

Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 AM

56,035 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
If you live in a nice area anywhere close to the hood - look out, you'll run out of candy quick. Mobs and mobs of kids from other neighborhoods. It's crazy.
Yes, I used to live in a town that bordered Paterson, NJ. The parents would bring the kids in in vans and sit parked at the end of the street so the kids could run up and down and trick-or-treat. I didn't care, really. They were little kids and it must not have felt safe to do it where they lived.

The downside was that around 9, big groups of teenagers without costumes would come ringing the bell looking for candy. They would just stand there, sullen looks on their faces, not saying a word, holding out their bags. We quickly learned to shut off the lights earlier.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:26 AM

56,035 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I live in a solidly middle/working class neighborhood in a suburb of Phoenix. For the last 3 years I've gotten maybe 20 - 30 kids.

The 5 p.m. start time is ridiculous. I usually don't get home from work until 6ish and my wife 7ish. I don't know how so many other people can get home so soon to pass out candy at 5.
I don't get home until almost 7, either, so I miss a lot of kids. But some people are home during the day, and I guess the parents with the littlest kids go out early and hit those who are home.

This year it's on a Saturday, though, so I bet I'll get a lot more.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM

599 posts, read 309,435 times
Halloween just isn't what it use to be. I'm nineteen now and I have always heard stories at how big Halloween once was with just about everyone participating. Now it's very little that want to participate in this former fun spooky holiday. I actually use to decorate my house to make it look scary and I stopped doing it as it wasn't worth the work for the amount of kids that came and that the kids that came were usually very little.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:53 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
In the south east absolutely. Where I live now in the upper Midwest no way stronger than ever. Iowa is one of the best places in country for fall/Halloween fun. I believe it's same way in parts of New England too
Is it really? I wanna raise my kids in the Upper Midwest, and I want them to have the Halloweens I had as a kid, where the streets were full and people went all out! (Plus, the added bonus of autumnal weather and beautiful leaves. I grew up in Florida.)

Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

Another big and newish development in this section of the Bible Belt is "Trunk or Treat." These events are very popular and take place in church parking lots. Scary costumes are not allowed. People deck out the beds of their pickup trucks or backs of their vehicles with all sorts of themes and they give out candy. I'm sure they get lots of "traffic" from people who don't attend their churches, but the idea is that the candy sources are safer than completely random strangers, there's no through traffic (no moving vehicles allowed) and there's no "evil" or "Satanic" or scary costumes allowed.

I've never been to one of those and frankly am not particularly interested but a lot of parents do like this venue. It's actually pretty huge around here, with a church on every corner!
Oh, lord, that makes me think of that King of the Hill episode with the lady who thinks Halloween is Satanic and tries to scare kids into thinking sex kills, and evolution is bogus.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:23 PM

4,916 posts, read 1,832,340 times
I am lucky to get 10 kids each year. My street however has no sidewalks, is poorly lit, and the houses are not particularly close with some homes having multiple acre lots. It is therefore not a good street for kids to be out on for Halloween.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.