U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:33 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,453,357 times

Advertisements

I had a total of 10 kids/3 groups. Most of my neighbors went dark. According to Nextdoor, the community 1 mile west had about 300 kids. That neighborhood is older and more established than ours. I think also with trunk or treats and the drug-fear factor a lot of parents aren't doing the door to door thing.

Next year I plan to have my 13yo have a Halloween party with her friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:34 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,724,266 times
We had 0 kids at our house on the township designated trick or treat night (Thursday before Halloween). Not totally surprising as we are down a poorly lit dead end 10+% grade street. But we didn't even get the across the street kids.

Then on 10/31 at my mom's house in a flat 1960s-70s strip development in another state - we still got 0 kids. Granted developments go through generational booms and busts but there are a couple of first graders who live next door.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM

3,376 posts, read 4,829,117 times
I posted about this in another thread and I experienced the low numbers as well.

But maybe after living in SoCal for so many years and it being the first time I handed out candy, I noticed that maybe all the kids in this small town flock over to where something big is happening.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,263,606 times
Trick or treating is actually SCHEDULED by the town in live in--I live in the Erie, PA area. I've lived in multiple states and have never heard of this. Worse yet, the time allotted for trick or treat is one and a half hours!

I have noticed that over the years trick or treat and Halloween seem to be less popular. When I was in the Southeast, I would be lucky to get maybe 10 trick or treaters. Most of the Halloween activity centered on trunk-or-treats sponsored by the churches. I think that we were the only house on the street that put up Halloween decorations...lol.

It makes me sad that Halloween and trick or treating are less popular now. As recently as the early 90's we used to get so many kids we had to buy 25-30 bags of candy for Halloween. It was expensive, but I do miss those days!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 PM

733 posts, read 748,099 times
I remember being a kid trick or treating and I would go until like midnight, but had a hard time finding houses to do it at. If they didn't have any sort of decoration out I was told not to bother them. These days though not nearly as many kids and they stop earlier, but I don't really blame it on them as much, I say that declined because adult participation did first.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 PM

13,223 posts, read 17,972,432 times
Based on the haul my nieces in Pittsburgh brought in, and the number of children my parents counted, I'd say trick-or-treating is alive and well, and rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,724,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Trick or treating is actually SCHEDULED by the town in live in--I live in the Erie, PA area. I've lived in multiple states and have never heard of this. Worse yet, the time allotted for trick or treat is one and a half hours!
Do they also change the date as they do in the Harrisburg area? That's even stranger to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.