U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM

3 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Background: I grew up in Metro Detroit, went to college in OKC, spent 3 years in Peoria, Illinois as my first job out of college, switched careers and moved to South Bay in LA for 10 years (OC for one of those years) doing various entrepreneurial things for work, moved back to the Detroit area 4 years ago to learn my current job/career.

Currently: Iím ready to relocate, and my lease is up at the end of December. I donít like living in the D for several reasons, and Iím finally to a point with my job where Iím comfortable doing it independently, rather than needing to stay here close to my agency.

Job/Career: I help folks nearing, and in, retirement with their insurance/investment decisions, so I can do it anywhere in the country I want.

Traffic: I drive ~25,000 miles/year for work alone because I meet with potential clients in their homes. So, Iím on the road more often than most back-and-forth-to-work commuters, which makes heavy traffic that much more annoying.

Weather: After being back in Michigan, Iíve realized how much I hate the winter and cold. Because I have to drive so much, bad weather directly affects my productivity and safety. I hate living here from November thru March. Iím not a huge fan of extreme heat for extended periods, but itís much better than cold.

Activities: By far, sand volleyball is my favorite activity, and I've been playing doubles competitively for ~15 years. Wherever I relocate, I want to be able to play during as much of the year as possible, which mainly ties in to weather.

Religion: Being a Christian is an extremely important part of my life, and would like to find a church to get involved in and attend weekly. I was active in a church that I really liked in South Bay and would start going again if I moved back.

Social life: Iím in my late 30ís, single, never married, and would very much like to find a girl to settle down with. Iím slightly introverted, enjoy bars with friends (not clubs, or for trying to pick up women), sports leagues like volleyball or kickball, laid back activities with friends like playing cards or board games, etc. Also, Iíd like to be able to have a few drinks with friends, whether at a dinner party or a pub, and be able to walk, bike, or cab home, and not have to drive. Romantically, ideally (and in order of importance) Iíd like to find a girl who shares my religious beliefs, and at the same time is fit, intelligent, and isnít divorced or a single mom, although the only "deal breaker" is religion.

Cost of Living: Itís important, but not a huge deal. My line of work has unlimited potential (depending on how hard I want to work) and can make $200k+/year within 5-10 years.

Top Candidates: South Bay is at the top of the list mainly because I loved living there and Iím not sure I want to completely start over somewhere Iíve never lived before. The downsides to South Bay are: I donít necessary like LA, the traffic, and the COL (especially housing). Other than that, other cities Iím considering are Austin, Charleston, SC, Raleigh-Durham, and possibly DC. Iíve visited Austin and DC each for a weekend, and have never been to the Carolinas. Iím open to any other recommendations too.

Whatís the best way to see if Iíd want to live in a place Iíve never been to before? Can you really get a good feel for a city without actually living there? I suppose I could buy some leads for work and schedule some appointments in one of these cities for a month or 2 to get a better idea, but temporary housing like this could get pretty expensive. Iím just getting sick of moving and would love the next place I pick be the one I put roots down and stay for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:34 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,703,182 times
Well to me it seems as if Phoenix/scottsdale area would be perfect for you. Somewhere in south florida or San Diego might work also. But Phoenix area has a lot of retired people, it doesn't get midwest cold, it is a very active city and there is a large Christian population.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:32 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,437,910 times
Before I read the other responses, check out Phoenix.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,647,636 times
Phoenix sounds good. There are a ton of old people plus Phoenix has some of the best traffic for a city of its size.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 AM

3 posts, read 2,159 times
Hmm, I never really considered Phoenix. It might be hard to play sand volleyball in the summers, but I guess I'd have to get out there really early before the heat makes it unplayable. I'll definitely do some research for that area.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Any suggestions about the areas in my Top Candidates?

Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 22,995 times
I'll have to agree with the others about Phoenix. I'm currently living in a suburb of Phoenix, and it seems that it fit all of your points. I would have to say Phoenix is quite sprawled out, but the freeway and street system is quite functional, given that most of it is on a grid. Your commute would not that bad if you stay within the valley. Some people don't mind the heat, but I'm switching it out for the polar opposite next year. You have potential for volleyball year-round!

There are plenty of older folks that would be potential clientele.

As far as moving, I don't think you could quite get the feel for the city unless you are a resident. The option that you gave on finding leads and temporary housing may help you, but it would not be the full effect of that city's life. I guess you could try it for a single city, and have a contingency plan in case you find that location not working out. A quick way to find a community would be find a church you like in that area.

LA's traffic is horrendous. If you plan on traveling quite a bit away from the city, it wouldn't as bad, but it could easily be a pain in the neck depending on your clientele's location.

Austin is quite a liberal city within Texas, and has plenty of great food, music, and bars for you to enjoy. I'm sure you can find a great Christian community as well. Decent year-round weather out there.

I'm not quite sure about the Carolinas.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,920,250 times
Sounds like you might like Phoenix, Austin TX, Denver, CO, San Diego if you can afford it. Phoenix gets hot but I like the dry heat and it actually gets a little bit of a winter it can get cold from Dec to March 40s at night in some parts. I thinking about moving to Phoenix myself, I have family in Scottsdale but I love it here in Nashville.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:15 AM

219 posts, read 236,217 times
Depends how much heat and/or humidity you can play in. Most of the options you are considering get butt kicking hot and humid for big chunks of the year, and some of them still have some fairly chilly weather in the winter.

I'd probably consider LA, OC, and SD county. Close to Mission Bay in SD, or somewhere like Encinitas, Dana Point, Huntington, etc. seems ideal apart from the cost of living. I thought of suggesting Honolulu but probably not a wise career move.

Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,712,059 times
Atlanta.....

We got plenty of women, mild winters, cheap COL, largest airport in the world which means we have direct flights everywhere, always something to do, close to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, 2 hour flight from Atl to DET, etc.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:43 AM

6,317 posts, read 6,977,482 times
No comment on where to live but for temporary housing look into airbnb. Many cities have decent options by month that aren't too much higher than normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or