U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 02:47 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,191 times

Advertisements

Yes. I have lived in city where I was the only person in a big box store that spoke English and I have lived in city were there isn't even a foreign language station.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 08:48 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,514,026 times
Im from Florida and have lived in many different states, Georgia, Texas, Colorado, etc. no place was similar. Florida is one of the most unique states in the country.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:37 AM

23,614 posts, read 17,598,460 times
I grew up in Tennessee and have lived for at least a month to two years in Iowa, Massachusetts, Indiana, rural Virginia, and South Carolina.

South Carolina and Virginia were obviously the most similar - no culture shock there. Boston was different, but I liked it, aside from the winter weather and traffic congestion. Virtually everyone I met on the street was talkative and friendly - it was a big, bustling city with a lot more than anywhere I'd ever been, aside from Atlanta. Beautiful scenery outside the metro, close to mountains, hiking, bodies of water, etc. The geography and outdoor opportunities were just as much as in Tennessee, but for a smaller portion of the year.

Iowa completely sucks. Flat, cold in the winter, hellacious storms, isolated, nothing in terms of scenery, lack of things to do, and the weirdest culture I've seen anywhere. People weren't polite or friendly, folks thought I was stupid due to my accent, people seemed "backward," and there was this weird civic culture I'd never seen anywhere. It's common to see bumper stickers with cut-outs of the state and "IA native" scribbled in. If you're not involved in civic organizations in Des Moines, you're like a cast out. I got out of that place in a year. If I never see Iowa again, I don't care.

Indiana is better than Iowa - people are generally a bit more polite and well-rounded, but they're certainly not as friendly as the South or Boston. Mostly flat, featureless, cold, and boring. I've been here for two years and I'm still not really liking it. I tolerate it, but that's it.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:01 AM

306 posts, read 219,314 times
I moved from Hawaii to Wisconsin in my early teens. It's all the same.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,571,930 times
I've lived in (actually had an address) 8 states since 2001. People are pretty similar all over the country, we just dress, talk, and eat a little differently

Most people watch The Walking Dead, eat pizza, like football, order from Amazon, spend too much time on their cell phones, and hold in farts while around other people.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,649,546 times
It could be if you're from one of the more unique states. I'm from Arizona which is really it's own thing altogether, it shares similarities with California but even if I did move to California after living in AZ all of my life it would be a different experience. If I were to move to Vegas I suspect to see no change really, but anywhere else in the country even Utah, New Mexico, etc. there would be differences.

While there would be some cultural differences since the Southwest is a little different, most of it would be climate, weather, scenery, politics, city structure, etc. You know, the things we care about most when looking at a relocation.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:03 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,277,494 times
I grew up in the DC area and have lived in Chicago, NYC, and Atlanta. DC/Chicago/NYC were for the most part similar. SF and Atlanta were a bit different. SF has this way out there liberal culture to it and in and around Atlanta I had to get used to driving around everywhere, confederate flags, and lots of religion talk.

Old 05-17-2016, 11:44 AM

436 posts, read 331,567 times
I grew up in northeast Ohio but now live in St. Louis. To answer the question yes it's been a totally different experience. I wasn't raised with a southern influence and that comes into play in the area. It's a lot more closed minded in STL than the environment I grew up in.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:24 PM

4,214 posts, read 2,836,706 times
I grew up in the Richmond, Virginia area. I'be lived in many states as well, but nothing compared to when I moved to the Southern Tier of New York from North Carolina...

The Southern Tier is vastly rural and is centered around Binghamton, Ithaca, and Elmira. Those are the "big cities" there. I came from Fayetteville, NC, which itself isn't a large city, but boy did it feel like one a little while later!

I grew up in suburbs and I lived in inner-city Fayetteville, so I'd never lived anywhere rural. This was the first thing I noticed, as I was 21 at the time. The nightlife, especially nightlife for minorities, was nearly nonexistent. Binghamton only offered one strip of nightlife activity. I'd never lived anywhere so isolated--two hours to the nearest city of one million people (Rochester). I was completely floored at the massive amount of people who'd never left New York or even the Southern Tier! Fayetteville was/is extremely transient, with people from literally every state in the country living there. Southern Tier NY was a complete time warp!

I'd never seen such a large presence of ethnic whites, so that was new. Northern whites definitely love their ethnicities. And I'll tell you something, race relations there were not that inviting. There is hardly any racial diversity inn this region. There's a lot of black-white dating, but the acceptance of blacks and black culture is peculiar, at best. It was unsettling...

The weather was atrocious since I wasn't used to it. There was a sense that the entire region was late on technology, music trends, fashion trends, social issues, etc. The food, the laws, I mean so much was different. Even to this day, I've yet to move anywhere like the Southern Tier...

That said, I grew to like it, and eventually love it, for its attributes. Would I live there again? Maybe with a PERFECT opportunity, but I definitely will always remember my two years there fondly...

Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,028,213 times
I grew up in New York.
Small culture shock living in West Virginia, but an awesome place to live.
Living in Pittsburgh was very easy.
Moved to Southern California, easy transition, my east coast friends said i went native within 6 months.

Moving to the Saint Louis area of Missouri was the most difficult. I think I like to be around natural beauty, and open minded people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or