U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 AM

3,062 posts, read 1,566,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The OP may just be the first person I've heard describe the people of FL as friendly. I wonder what part of FL, because I can assure you, after 3 years in southeast FL, we were happy to leave. I think NJ natives are friendly, even more so than where we are now, GA. But I've managed to make friends pretty much everywhere we end up, so attitude helps.
I think Florida is friendly enough and I live in SE Florida.

Is SE Florida Texas friendly? No. But I do have to say that in order for me, a Mexican looking woman, to receive that Texas "friendliness" I have to take more initiative than White people. Once it has been established that I can speak English, without a Spanish accent, and that I can perform the same mannerisms, the friendliness is then extended to me. But I will add that this is mostly in small town Texas which is where I love to visit most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:02 AM

90 posts, read 76,158 times
I wouldn't call myself an open book but believe it or not, I've never encountered anyone from NJ who I didn't like. Even when I moved to PA to attend college and encountered some transplants, that helped alleviate the pain of being homesick. I feel the same way about PA and would move back there once I get enough cash.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:17 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,050,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I don't think they are sophisticated, just stuck up and impatient. People in big American cities are just plain rude.

I have so many stories of how pathetic people treated us in NYC. Washington was not that bad, however, people were definitely very, very impatient there.

I got a lot of tuts because I couldn't move fast enough. I always confronted them (not used to people tutting at me) and then proceeded to slow down 10x more, of course they nearly had a little canary, I guess they aren't used to people confronting them. They should expect to be confronted if they are going to tut at strangers because they don't move through a ticket machine 2 seconds faster. How rude.
I found people to be quite polite and nice
You're quite rude on this forum, so maybe it's just you

Old 10-11-2015, 06:57 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,142,226 times
What you mean to say is that I am rude to people who deserve it.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I found people to be quite polite and nice
You're quite rude on this forum, so maybe it's just you
Naw, dude.

I am the smilingest, most patient, friendly to everyone person in real life, and ghe way I was consistently poorly treated in NYC totally makes me believe his post. That and the fact that I have never seen other people being treated so poorly. I have many stories, too. Sad considering every trip I have taken there has only been for a couple of days.

I think the worst is a toss-up between the time that somebody hit me with their car while I was standing on the sidewalk and then they yelled at me or the time I saw an entire group of strangers yelling at an old woman instead of helping her when she couldn't move her luggage fast enough and wanted instead just to put it in the front of the line so that it could sit there while she waited in the back of the line.
An old woman who could barely walk. See, here in Texas, we wouldn't have just carried her luggage for her, we would have let her cut to the front of the line, too. Not yelled at her.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:26 AM

7,668 posts, read 4,142,226 times
A lot of the employees in New York acted like they were doing good by acknowledging our existence, they always made us feel like we were a nuisance by even being there.

When they bothered to serve us they would throw the goods and receipts at us, sometimes talking over us and not even acknowledging that we were there. When we would ask for discount they would always give a big sigh and then proceed to roll their eyes. (Macy's provides foreigners with a 10% discount)

We had a terrible experience in McDonald's at Herald Sq where an Asian lady screamed at my mum when she asked for milk after realising that it wasn't self service (like at home and the rest of America) basically she said 'you should've asked me then, how the hell was I supposed to know!' We were honestly so shocked that a customer service representative could be so rude that we didn't even bother to complain or acknowledge her.

Further to that when we went to the World Trade Center to go to the top of the new tower we were also confronted with a batty cow who could not understand that we were not even American and didn't know where to go. We had to ask her three times over and over again before she could be bothered to open her mouth to tell us where to go to get in. Even whenever she bothered to tell us, she proceeded to roll her eyes and barked the directions at us. Ironically we ended up asking again because she couldn't give us proper directions. Surely someone who is supposed to be trained in customer service would know this?

A lot of these people in New York did not seem to want to work with customers or understand that we may get lost. They always expected us to know the directions of a city that we have never lived in.

I've never seen anything like it!

Last edited by Sickandtiredofthis; 10-11-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 AM

3,279 posts, read 6,609,038 times
In my experience, Iowa is full of friendly people. I live in Texas and people aren't very friendly in either Dallas or Houston. They are friendly in rural areas of Texas.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:34 AM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I recently moved to North Carolina from southern Virginia. It was a country side town where I lived & people were so friendly. You hardly came across someone who didn't smile at you or said hello. Since North Carolina is south of Virginia, I expected people here to be more friendly but I was very disappointed. They rarely make eye contact or say hello. Even the people you run into on a daily basis are unfriendly, cold & distant. I still managed to make a few friends though but it took a lot of effort. I discussed this with some other people who migrated here from other states & they told me they felt people here were less friendly as well, so its not just me. This is a mid-size town & not too busy. I heard there a lot of people here who moved from the north & perhaps that's why they are cold & distant. Even in close spaces like the elevator people never make eye contact. I have traveled to towns that are an hour away from here & I see a huge shift in attitudes. These are smaller towns where people are very friendly & affectionate. So I guess it depends a lot on the size of the town rather than the state. If its a small town, then people are friendly. That's what I understood from my experience.
I agree.

I grew up in and now live in rural upstate NY. I spent ten years in Louisiana, most of them in Baton Rouge. People were far ruder in Baton Rouge than here in small town New York.

It also seems to depend on class sometimes. I've noticed that the very wealthy, moreso than the poor or middle class, tend to be cold or flat out mean spirited no matter where they are from. Because there are more urban and/or rich people in the north as opposed to the south I feel like the region gets a misunderstood reputation of being rude based on that alone.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:38 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,780,290 times
Washington is a very unfriendly state, at least the western half. Forget about making small talk, you will be looked at as if you are insane. Also, hostility and outright shunning in the workplace. Friendly neighbors? If you can do something for them, sure, otherwise you never hear from them. Yeah, it's been a pleasure...

Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 45,116 times
The foreigner's account of NYC is just weird, everywhere I went in NYC, lots of strangers came forward to help. A pair of young women saw me looking worried (and lost) helped me hail a cab, an Iraqi waiter in a French bistro let me use the bathroom, helped me with directions, invited me to a party, in Queens while dragging a suitcase on an overhead pedestrian bridge to rush for an express bus that took me to the airport, a local man in his 40s or 50s saw me struggling and to my shock, lifted my suitcase and helped me bring it downstairs. I was shocked, initially I thought he might rob me..but he was just helping me.

While walking along the financial district with a big smile on my face, a man on his way to work in a suit (an Indian looking man with a clear American accent) stopped and said the happy smile I had was bright and cheery, asked me where I was from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or