U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 07:54 AM

44,694 posts, read 36,132,256 times

Advertisements

I was a corporate trainer for a long time and traveled all over the US. Honestly, most people were very friendly everywhere. One group that really surprised me was the people in Minnesota - they were some of the friendliest folks I've ever met, even if they do speak with a really weird accent (hahaha - they thought I spoke with a really weird accent!).

Here are some locales that really struck me by their friendliness (in no particular order - they were all super nice):

Oklahoma
Minnesota
Tennessee
Texas
Alabama
Georgia

Not particularly friendly:
Colorado (quite distant and cold)
Washington (both of them - DC and state)
Believe it or not - south Louisiana (excluding Nawlins, which is a very friendly city)
Pennsylvania (people in both Pittsburgh and Philly were surprisingly reserved and brusque)

Now I admit - I am a native Louisianian, grew up in the southern Atlantic states on military installations (military culture tends to be friendly and helpful), and have lived the last 25 years in east Texas, so yeah - I'm an extremely friendly, outgoing person and I'm sure I surprise the heck out of some people with my extroverted ways and my southern drawl. In fact, I think I truly alarmed many people in Colorado and Washington state. People in Pennsylvania just seem to be irritated by me (though I have to say that people in smaller towns are much friendlier there and in many other states).

People in small towns in south Louisiana remind me of the same paranoid weirdness I've encountered in mountain towns in the Ozarks and Appalachians. I can practically hear the banjos...But that's just the extreme southern, swampy part of Louisiana. Most of the state is not as strange as that region and the people are your typically friendly southerners.

The south and midwest seem to be the friendliest regions overall to me. Midwestern people always really strike me as very genuine and caring, even if they don't have quite the gregarious nature of many southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:57 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
I don't think Washington state is unfriendly. The small/medium sized town I live in is actually the friendliest city I have ever lived in. Seattle has a reputation of being unfriendly but that wasn't my experience when I visited there.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes. Texans have a split personality - we' re super friendly and down to earth in person but we don't "drive friendly" - with one exception - FUNERAL PROCESSIONS.

Not sure how prevalent this is in other states but I've traveled quite a bit and only seen it in Texas. It is customary for people to pull over on the side of the road and stop as a funeral procession goes by. And we take it one step further - if we know it is the funeral of a veteran, especially if it is someone killed in action, many people will get out of their cars and stand either at attention (if they are veterans) or with their hands over their hearts and/or their hats off. In fact, if a town knows that a veteran who was killed in action is going to be "passing through" people will line the streets and roads, often carrying American and/or Texas flags.
In recent years when we've had police officers killed in the line of duty in Austin, there have been funeral processions down the freeways that essentially shut down portions of the city, and thousands of people line the sides of the freeways and overpasses. This has happened a couple of times fairly recently in Austin that I recall. The biggest event occurred after a police officer was gunned down in a Walmart. I don't remember these huge processions happening in the past. Respect for law enforcement and the military occurs here regardless of political persuasion. There are definitely exceptions and there's been tension with law enforcement at times due to some bad mistakes on the part of law enforcement, but overall there's a lot of respect.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:47 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,032 times
The friendliest people I've ever met were in Kansas City, MO. It started at the airport and continued in the hotel, in restaurants, etc. They looked you in the eye and seemed very interested in knowing everything about you. Nothing fake about it whatsoever.

The least friendly: definitely Seattle. Never have encountered anything like it anywhere.

Ironically, I found NYC people to be very helpful. Somewhat brusque, but helpful. Nothing like what I expected.

Outside of the U.S., I've been to Mexico, England and Italy. People in Mexico were the friendliest. People in England and Italy weren't, though. Others I know have had different experiences.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM

685 posts, read 443,469 times
I'd generally agree with the sentiment that friendly people tend to seek each other out, and there are friendly people all over the United States. I also think that people in Idaho and rural Utah are very friendly or overlooked when talking about "friendliness" by state.

If you are going bring up Latin America when talking about the States, the South included then it isn't really a fair match-up. Colombians and Mexicans are probably the friendliest people I've come across during my travels, I've been to Costa Rica and Guatemala as well as Panama and all of the people were fantastic. I grew up in Mississippi and am from the Midwest and I found Latin America friendlier to even much friendlier than any part of the US, although it is a different culture so it is hard to compare in the end.

There are nice people all over with all that being said, you just have to seek them out in the end. Sometimes it's even the case that those outwardly friendly people aren't actually all that friendly and those who seem rude can sometimes be nice, isn't that a novelty?

Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
The friendliest people I've ever met were in Kansas City, MO. It started at the airport and continued in the hotel, in restaurants, etc. They looked you in the eye and seemed very interested in knowing everything about you. Nothing fake about it whatsoever.

The least friendly: definitely Seattle. Never have encountered anything like it anywhere.

Ironically, I found NYC people to be very helpful. Somewhat brusque, but helpful. Nothing like what I expected.

Outside of the U.S., I've been to Mexico, England and Italy. People in Mexico were the friendliest. People in England and Italy weren't, though. Others I know have had different experiences.
Good to know Kansas City is still friendly. I visited back in 1983 and more people at random started talking to me than any place I have been since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or