U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 PM

204 posts, read 163,308 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I've just been looking at colleges online over the past few minutes, and it seems that there are few small towns that maintain charm and a college campus.

I'd like to look at a few of these college towns that are the exception, not the rule, and I'd like to have a few names of small towns that boast small-town, early 19th-early 20th century historical charm and a college campus.

The town has to be in the U.S, and it must have a population under 20,000 people and greater than 150 people.

I'd prefer a small town where you can walk anywhere from the downtown and/or court square, or at least one with some off-campus amenities that are within walking distance of the campus; you may, however, suggest to me other small towns that don't fit this certain criteria.

In general, I'd prefer to go to a predominantly white institute, although if the small-town fits the above criteria and the college is an HBCU (black college), I might consider that college and town.

I also would prefer to go to college in a town that may fit the criteria for a town mentioned above (walkable, compact, small population, historical small-town charm) that can be easily reached by public transportation from a major transit hub (I.E, on a stop on a rail line that can be reached from a historical rail hub like New Orleans or Chicago).

I am eager to hear back y'all's suggestions so I can look at colleges in these types of towns.

Have at it with the suggestions!

I don't care how close it is, or how far it is, from my ideal place, I'd just love to hear from y'all!

EDIT: I'm sorry, I left out one essential detail:

The place has to be in a temperate to warm climate (with an average annual temperature between 62 degrees Fahrenheit and 80 Fahrenheit.)

It's okay if it's a tad bit colder or a tad bit warmer, but I really would not want to end up in a state where it's too cold to go outside during winter ( like about 20 degrees Fahrenheit or colder average January temperatures, that's WAY too cold for me).

FYI, I am from Central Mississippi, so that's why this may seem a bit sun-belt or warm climate biased.

Last edited by emmerich01; 10-10-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Hi everyone!

I've just been looking at colleges online over the past few minutes, and it seems that there are few small towns that maintain charm and a college campus.

I'd like to look at a few of these college towns that are the exception, not the rule, and I'd like to have a few names of small towns that boast small-town, early 19th-early 20th century historical charm and a college campus.

The town has to be in the U.S, and it must have a population under 20,000 people and greater than 150 people.

I'd prefer a small town where you can walk anywhere from the downtown and/or court square, or at least one with some off-campus amenities that are within walking distance of the campus; you may, however, suggest to me other small towns that don't fit this certain criteria.

In general, I'd prefer to go to a predominantly white institute, although if the small-town fits the above criteria and the college is an HBCU (black college), I might consider that college and town.

I also would prefer to go to college in a town that may fit the criteria for a town mentioned above (walkable, compact, small population, historical small-town charm) that can be easily reached by public transportation from a major transit hub (I.E, on a stop on a rail line that can be reached from a historical rail hub like New Orleans or Chicago).

I am eager to hear back y'all's suggestions so I can look at colleges in these types of towns.

Have at it with the suggestions!

I don't care how close it is, or how far it is, from my ideal place, I'd just love to hear form y'all!

Northfield, MN has just a tad over 20,000 people at 20,581 (per Wiki). It has two colleges, St. Olaf and Carleton. It's about 40 miles from Minneapolis. My daughter usually flew to Minn. and took a shuttle to Northfield.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 PM

204 posts, read 163,308 times
Sound's like a good place.

I've been looking for a nice little town to call my own, and Northfield looks great!

too bad it's all the way up in Minnesota, where it's pretty much freezing half the college school year.

C'est la vie.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:54 PM

992 posts, read 940,375 times
College of William and Mary sounds like the ideal place for you to go to college. It's in Williamsburg, Virginia, which is full of historic colonial building.

Other cool college towns:

Madison, Wisconsin
Iowa City, Iowa (the best in my opinion)
Lawrence, Kansas
Bloomington, Illinois
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (I think it sucks, but it's considered one of the best)
Bloomington, Indiana
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Athens, Georgia

Old 10-10-2015, 05:56 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
West Chester, PA outside of Philadelphia seems like a good fit. It has West Chester University in the borough and HBCU Cheyney University just outside of the borough. It has around 19,000 people.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9605...8i6656!6m1!1e1

West Chester Borough, PA - Official Website | Official Website
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_C...,_Pennsylvania
Downtown West Chester PA - The Perfect Town, Downtown West Chester Pennsylvania and West Chester BID

https://www.wcupa.edu/
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania

Another one that came to mind that would fit outside of the weather, perhaps, is Brockport NY. It is about 25 minutes west of Rochester and is a village of about 8500 with the Erie canal running right through it. It has a SUNY campus within the village as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2155...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Village of Brockport, NY

The College at Brockport: State University of New York

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-10-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 06:00 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
College of William and Mary sounds like the ideal place for you to go to college. It's in Williamsburg, Virginia, which is full of historic colonial building.

Other cool college towns:

Madison, Wisconsin
Iowa City, Iowa (the best in my opinion)
Lawrence, Kansas
Bloomington, Illinois
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois (I think it sucks, but it's considered one of the best)
Bloomington, Indiana
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Athens, Georgia
All these towns are well over 20K people. Ann Arbor is almost a suburb of Detroit. I agree with you about Champaign-Urbana. I lived there for seven years.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,451,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
All these towns are well over 20K people.
Exactly the problem with OP's question.

I would add:
Davis, CA
Isla Vista, CA (off Santa Barbara)

Old 10-10-2015, 07:45 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
West Chester, PA outside of Philadelphia seems like a good fit. It has West Chester University in the borough and HBCU Cheyney University just outside of the borough. It has around 19,000 people.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9605...8i6656!6m1!1e1

West Chester Borough, PA - Official Website | Official Website
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_C...,_Pennsylvania
Downtown West Chester PA - The Perfect Town, Downtown West Chester Pennsylvania and West Chester BID

https://www.wcupa.edu/
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania

Another one that came to mind that would fit outside of the weather, perhaps, is Brockport NY. It is about 25 minutes west of Rochester and is a village of about 8500 with the Erie canal running right through it. It has a SUNY campus within the village as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2155...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Village of Brockport, NY

The College at Brockport: State University of New York
Another place that came to mind is Shepherdstown WV in that state's Eastern Panhandle. Home - Shepherdstown Visitors Center
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Corporation of Shepherdstown | Historic Shepherdstown, the oldest town in the state of West Virginia.
Shepherdstown, WV - USA.comô

Shepherd University

I believe that it has access to commuter rail into Washington DC as well. MARCTracker - Train Location View
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_Line (Duffields is the closest station, but there are stations in Martinsburg and Martins Ferry)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4305...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 10-10-2015, 08:31 PM

650 posts, read 604,677 times
Oxford MS
Mount Pleasant MI
Amherst MA
Tucson AZ
Boca Raton Fl

Idk really anount under 20,000 that's a hard one.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:34 PM

3,759 posts, read 2,573,802 times
With the exception of "population under 20k"...you've largely described Chapel Hill, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or