Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,382,097 times

Advertisements

Worcester to Boston is getting a non-stop train on the commuter rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 09:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,173,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Does anyone know anything about the rail line connecting Springfiled, Hartford, and New Haven? Is it just a proposed line, or has construction already started?
Construction started. May be finished near the end of 2016. I don't expect the ridership to be very high, but it'll be a nice addition and good use of an existing rail corridor.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I guess that is true in the sense that Seattle already has rail service to the airport and commuter rail lines to the suburbs. Denver's FasTracks build out it great, but most of Denver's light rail tends to be very Park and Ride and lacking intra-city rail service. Still for a city the size of Denver, the opening of these four new rail lines are a pretty big deal.
Airport lines typically get low daily ridership while low-frequency commuter lines (such as Seattle's current Sounder lines) aren't that high. Seattle's new extension would be in high transit demand areas, the University extension will be more useful when it extends northward into the University District.

Quote:
I wonder how ridership levels will be on LA's new Expo line to Santa Monica.
Projected ridership is 64,000 in 2030. Current ridership on the existing portion of the Expo Line is 30,000.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:32 AM

Also, the Second Avenue Subway will be opening next year in the Upper East Side / edge of East Harlem. It will have by far the highest ridership of a new line opening soon. Not sure about TOD, but it will likely boost demand and real estate values in the not quite as expensive Yorkville section of the Upper East Side and reduce crowding on the Lexington Avenue subway, which is packed.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM

5,682 posts, read 4,841,479 times
Also for Seattle a light rail station south of the airport will also open next year with a big parking garage.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:26 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Also, the Second Avenue Subway will be opening next year in the Upper East Side / edge of East Harlem. It will have by far the highest ridership of a new line opening soon. Not sure about TOD, but it will likely boost demand and real estate values in the not quite as expensive Yorkville section of the Upper East Side and reduce crowding on the Lexington Avenue subway, which is packed.
What an enormous boon that will be for not only the Upper East Side, but once fully completed neighborhoods like Murray Hill, the East Village, Lower East Side and even the Seaport area which I always thought of as vastly underutilized compared to the rest of Manhattan.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM

213 posts, read 276,389 times
Quote:
Airport lines typically get low daily ridership while low-frequency commuter lines (such as Seattle's current Sounder lines) aren't that high. Seattle's new extension would be in high transit demand areas, the University extension will be more useful when it extends northward into the University District.

Projected ridership is 64,000 in 2030. Current ridership on the existing portion of the Expo Line is 30,000.
I agree re: Seattle's main line. Once it extends all the way North to Northgate it will cover several high transit demand areas. Also, once the East extension gets to Bellevue that will be a high-ridership route as well.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
Nonetheless, the Sounder trains to Everett, the Kent-Auburn Valley, and Tacoma were necessary. Their arrival into Seattle back in 2000 reinvigorated rail service and its when improvements at the Union/King St Station transit hub started taking shape. The airport line was an easy starter line to build as a first leg, but every city should have an airport station on their rail network IMO. But I'll agree with the notion that two of Seattle's densest urban nodes outside of downtown being connected by subway/light rail will be a big leap forward and increase ridership numbers exponentially.

Quote:
I love this for LA. Hell, I hope they score the 2024 Olympics if only for a faster network buildout with an LAX connection by then. West LA needs more rail service.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-13-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 09:59 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,645,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhenma View Post
I agree re: Seattle's main line. Once it extends all the way North to Northgate it will cover several high transit demand areas. Also, once the East extension gets to Bellevue that will be a high-ridership route as well.
Northgate comes around in 2021. I can't believe that will be 20 years later, after I was living there when the city (and myself) voted to extend the monorail (toy train from Space Needle to downtown) with a Ballard to West Seattle starter line. It didn't take long for that ship to sink and light rail finally got decided on in 2002. West Seattle and Ballard got stiffed from those plans, but they're included in a Sound Transit 3 package on the 2016 ballot, though the opening of those lines would still seem eons away. The Northgate line is going to being an excellent option for those commuting in and want to ditch their cars from I-5 gridlock. Once the Bellevue line opens Seattle will have a decent network in place. They should have built all these lines back in the 90's

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-13-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,543,562 times
The BART extension to Warm Springs/South Fremont is currently scheduled to open in 2016. This will extend the current Fremont line 5 miles south of its current terminus, providing more commute options from the southeastern Bay Area to San Francisco and Oakland. More importantly, it lays the groundwork for the BART extension to San Jose, scheduled to open in late 2017, which will finally connect Silicon Valley to the Bay Area's primary transit system.

Oh yeah, and in terms a TOD potential, a developer is already lining up to build 2,200 residential units and 1.4 million square feet of office/R&D.

I'm glad someone else mentioned the Second Avenue Subway as that was my first thought upon seeing this thread, although I'm dubious if it will actually open in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Thank God. When I was a teenager, it'd take forever to get from downtown LA to Santa Monica on the bus.
Sorry to say, but the rail line will take longer to get from downtown LA to Santa Monica than the existing rapid bus down Wilshire. It's a common fallacy that rail is always faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.