Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Sorry to say, but the rail line will take longer to get from downtown LA to Santa Monica than the existing rapid bus down Wilshire. It's a common fallacy that rail is always faster.
What's the current time for the rapid bus? How many stops does it make? I suspect it often doesn't make scheduled time due to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:58 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What's the current time for the rapid bus? How many stops does it make? I suspect it often doesn't make scheduled time due to traffic.
Maybe someone can chime in with that info, but the expo line should take at least 25-30 minutes off the trip. The rapid bus takes about an hour and 15 minutes. The Expo Line should take about 46 minutes.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
Sorry to say, but the rail line will take longer to get from downtown LA to Santa Monica than the existing rapid bus down Wilshire. It's a common fallacy that rail is always faster.
No it won't, the 720 takes anywhere from at least an hour to 1h20m to get to DTLA from SM. The Expo Line will take 46 min.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:07 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
And as usual Florida's most populated areas get absolutely nothing. I think only Orlando has had anything built on this subject in years, and even that is minimal. It's very sad this level of ignorance and incompetence, continues decade after decade. in this state. The most visited state on earth, and there is next to nothing for transit options. There are a multitude of excuses though.

I am glad LA continues to move forward with rail projects. Denver is very impressive with the number of lines it has completed. The rail to the Denver airport is a long time coming. I think there is a real need for that line, and it will be well used. I think the Seattle lines will also be a success. Seattle is so congested now, with horrible traffic problems. Anything to get out of the car, to get from A to B will be a blessing to many.

Portland, Or just recently opened their Orange Line, from downtown to the suburb of Milwaukie. I think that line opened up last month. For a smaller big city, Portland has been very successful with its rail system. .

Old 03-06-2016, 12:21 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Busy spring line up ahead for these three Western metro areas.

Seattle University subway line extension opens in two weeks on March 19th connecting two of Seattle's busiest urban nodes (Capital Hill & the U District) to downtown and the airport.
University Link light-rail service starts March 19 | The Seattle Times

Denver opens 23 miles of new electrified commuter rail line to the Airport on April 22nd
RTD

Santa Monica light rail line opens on May 20th, opening the fist official line from downtown through West LA to the beach.
Metro Expo Line to begin service to Santa Monica on May 20 - LA Times

Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
And as usual Florida's most populated areas get absolutely nothing. I think only Orlando has had anything built on this subject in years, and even that is minimal. It's very sad this level of ignorance and incompetence, continues decade after decade. in this state. The most visited state on earth, and there is next to nothing for transit options. There are a multitude of excuses though.
I agree that it's badly lagging behind, but there has been a little bit of improvement happening. In the past year, Tri-rail was extended to the MIA airport station. Of course Sunrail has been a big positive (infrastructure-wise) but the big story should be AAF (which is now called Brightline) that will connect Orlando to Miami. Granted it is intercity rail but a large focus will be placed on the stations in between and attracting riders from the intermediary cities. Hopefully all goes smoothly and in another 5 years AAF decides to expand to Jax. Speaking of Jax, I would definitely expect at least one extension of the Skyway in the next few years...most likely into the gentrifying Brooklyn neighborhood. San Marco and Stadium extensions are being seriously considered but the cost vs benefit is nowhere as strong as Brooklyn, so if they can only scrounge up enough money for one it will be Brooklyn for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.