U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-11-2015, 02:04 AM
 
779 posts, read 724,513 times
Reputation: 1053

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just been doing a lot of pondering lately about the idea of moving somewhere new. Long story short, I was in this predicament 2 years or so ago, but decided to stick around where I currently reside (Seattle). I ended up taking a break from what I'd spend most of my time outside of work doing (writing/playing live music in bands) to go back to school. Currently, I'm in my final quarter of courses to complete my Associates degree, and am planning on a short break after that to figure out where I'm going to continue taking courses for a Bachelor's (it might be here, or elsewhere, not sure yet)/save some money in the meantime.

I'll try to keep the rest of this post as short as I can by putting the important info in list form

Basics about me:

- Late 20's male, single, no children
- Musician/artist type
- Work experience is mainly in logistics, and the building materials industry
- Studying business/considering majoring in international business
- Political leanings: Socially liberal, fiscally moderate/slightly right
- Non-religious

Things I do love about where I am

- The natural beauty/scenery (Never get tired of the sound/mountain views)
- Great local food, coffee, and craft beer
- A good mix of both bustling and laid back areas of town
- The music festivals/venues, independent film theaters, and the like
- Lots of walk-able neighborhoods
- Most areas are safe

Reasons I'm considering leaving (other than just for a change of pace/the adventure!)/things I'm not so fond of

- Rising COL is a major concern (especially how fast it's rising, due to the rapid growth of tech jobs/inadequate housing stock). Not trying to sound negative, because I love Seattle overall, but COL is now pretty much caught up w/cities like Chicago and San Diego, yet it's a much smaller city than either of those two (And still going up....).

- Excessively introverted/clique-ish social climate (I'm a Seattle native, and feel that the freeze is real - I've found that folks in other cities/metro areas I've visited seem more outgoing/easier to befriend). I can be a bit introverted myself, but find that it's much easier for me to open up and be friendly around more outgoing types.

- Although much of my family remains here, many friends have moved on w/agendas of their own, and/or settled down (Normal adult stuff, of course). I'm currently focused on bettering myself education and social-life wise, as well as getting involved with music again at some point, but only one of those seems to be happening for me here, despite my efforts (or maybe I'm being impatient? I don't know, haha)

Overall, I'm curious about other cities that a guy like myself might want to consider checking out if I did decide to leave Seattle (depending what happens over the next 6 months). I do also have family in the Boston metro area, which would make going somewhere east a smoother transition (I did really enjoy a visit to Philly last year while I was out east), but have also had some folks throw out Minneapolis and Austin as suggestions before.

Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 AM
 
21,324 posts, read 30,683,302 times
Reputation: 19869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post

Overall, I'm curious about other cities that a guy like myself might want to consider checking out if I did decide to leave Seattle (depending what happens over the next 6 months). I do also have family in the Boston metro area, which would make going somewhere east a smoother transition (I did really enjoy a visit to Philly last year while I was out east), but have also had some folks throw out Minneapolis and Austin as suggestions before.
If cost of living is a major concern, none of the cities listed are much better than what you're experiencing in Seattle and certainly not worth the move based on that criteria. If you're looking for a city vibe that's affordable and friendly I would throw out suggestions like Atlanta and Pittsburgh or even Cleveland which offers a bargain urban environment with walkability, very good public transit (including a rail system) and cool neighborhoods at nearly half the cost of Seattle on average in terms of rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 07:29 AM
 
57,320 posts, read 81,741,540 times
Reputation: 12698
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If cost of living is a major concern, none of the cities listed are much better than what you're experiencing in Seattle and certainly not worth the move based on that criteria. If you're looking for a city vibe that's affordable and friendly I would throw out suggestions like Atlanta and Pittsburgh or even Cleveland which offers a bargain urban environment with walkability, very good public transit (including a rail system) and cool neighborhoods at nearly half the cost of Seattle on average in terms of rent.
^This and maybe parts of Buffalo could work for similar reasons(rail, some walkable neighborhoods that are generally safe, underrated arts scene, etc.). Its proximity to Toronto may be enticing as well(2 hours away).

I also wonder about parts of cities like Columbus, Cincinnati and even St. Louis as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 AM
 
473 posts, read 364,304 times
Reputation: 1030
What about Nashville?

It's Music City, after all; cost of living is reasonable compared to Seattle; the rolling hills are lovely and you're just a few hours from the mountains; there are a number of good universities, and the city itself leans left. Plus, it's a friendly place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 10:59 AM
 
779 posts, read 724,513 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If cost of living is a major concern, none of the cities listed are much better than what you're experiencing in Seattle and certainly not worth the move based on that criteria. If you're looking for a city vibe that's affordable and friendly I would throw out suggestions like Atlanta and Pittsburgh or even Cleveland which offers a bargain urban environment with walkability, very good public transit (including a rail system) and cool neighborhoods at nearly half the cost of Seattle on average in terms of rent.
I should be more clear on the COL aspect. It's not so much where it's at right now, but where it's headed that I fear. Basically, if the tech economy continues to grow rapidly, and the housing stock continues to be unable to keep up with demand(And there isn't a whole lot of land for new development, in Seattle proper at least), I don't see any reason that it can't get as bad as parts of the Bay Area. If it gets to that point, I think I'd rather just move to another expensive city with more urban amenities/a better public transit system than stick around.

To those who have suggested Nashville and Atlanta, how does Memphis and Charlotte compare to those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2015, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro (Cobb County)
1,581 posts, read 771,066 times
Reputation: 1686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I should be more clear on the COL aspect. It's not so much where it's at right now, but where it's headed that I fear. Basically, if the tech economy continues to grow rapidly, and the housing stock continues to be unable to keep up with demand(And there isn't a whole lot of land for new development, in Seattle proper at least), I don't see any reason that it can't get as bad as parts of the Bay Area. If it gets to that point, I think I'd rather just move to another expensive city with more urban amenities/a better public transit system than stick around.

To those who have suggested Nashville and Atlanta, how does Memphis and Charlotte compare to those cities?
I live in Atlanta and travel throughout the Southeast frequently. I think since you are coming from Seattle, Memphis would be a more difficult transition than the other three cities in this region, as it has slower economic growth and tends to attract fewer transplants. Charlotte and Nashville are growing quickly but remain relatively affordable, and both are definitely developing urban amenities. But Atlanta is significantly larger and still not too costly on a national scale.

I doubt Seattle will get as expensive as the San Francisco Bay Area even if it's very costly compared to the Southeast or other parts of the nation - the land supply isn't quite as limited, and the lack of an income tax in Washington is an advantage. I'd say Minneapolis or Denver could be places to consider for healthy economies, significant urban development, and a more similar "vibe" but somewhat lower cost of living than Seattle. Of course both have far more extreme climates so there are tradeoffs wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top