U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 AM

1,005 posts, read 873,606 times

Advertisements

I'll get this thread back on track by speaking about the city I currently live in instead of ranking cities for their level of trashiness...

Atlanta

I'd give it a 6/10. Unfortunately there a lot of litterbugs here, which is a shame because it's such a lush city in terms of the heavy tree canopy, which somehow makes the litter seem more out of place. I've been here over ten years, and the litter seems to get progressively worse. A while ago I drove some visitors to a baseball game downtown and the interstate exit I used to get to the ballpark was strewn with trash. One of the passengers exclaimed, "we're in the ghetto!" (we were actually entering the government district near the ballpark).

The city does do a fairly good job of periodically picking up trash at the sides of the highways - these cleanups often proceed a big event in town, as the city wants to spruce up the place before the arrival of visitors.

In addition to being bad for the environment and unsightly, litter also poses other problems. When driving on the interstate, I often notice that storm sewer grates are partially and sometimes almost completely covered with litter & other debris (leaves, weeds etc.). During a heavy rain storm a few years ago, a section of the interstate that I use to get to work was flooded because of the clogged grates. The TV news that night showed a worker standing in water up to his waist using a long stick with a hook to clear the drains so that the water could flow again into the storm sewers. Fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:17 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,631,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I too was surprised after my last visit. It's astounding how many there are (even on the side streets). It doesn't feel pristine...that's for sure.
It's CA or the West coast in general (heaven for the homeless, pot culture etc..); draws them like flies and with the COL being one of the highest in the country, you get to see many..

Old 10-13-2015, 08:43 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,512,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I dont know of too many that are completely trashy.

Take my city of Houston. If you are in the Post Oak, West U, or River Oaks areas, they are some of the classiest areas in the country.

If you are in East Houston from Waco St. out to Baytown or by Hobby Airport, it will feel like the most trashy city in the US.
How does the Montrose area rank?

Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM

364 posts, read 199,783 times
I always thought that the states used prisoners to pick up litter on roads etc.Or is it now like in britain where it's against their "human rights"to do such menial tasks.Also when driving through the states so many people have rusted cars,trucks,buses that look as though they have been there for decades just sitting in their front yards.Why do these people not send them to the scrapyard.It must be an american thing?.We also have lots of litterbugs here in britain.

Last edited by silverhead; 10-13-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM

1,229 posts, read 974,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
I always thought that the states used prisoners to pick up litter on roads etc.Or is it now like in britain where it's against their "human rights"to do such menial tasks.Also when driving through the states so many people have rusted cars,trucks,buses that look as though they have been there for decades just sitting in their front yards.Why do these people not send them to the scrapyard.It must be an american thing?.We also have lots of litterbugs here in britain.
Angola Prison in Louisiana has cotton fields that inmates work in.

But there are still inmates picking up trash.

Last edited by joeyg2014; 10-13-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 12:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,153,806 times
San Bernardino

Old 10-13-2015, 01:54 PM

15,449 posts, read 7,883,440 times
I live in Toledo, Ohio, we have some trashy parts but IMO the trashiness is not that bad here. I would rate it a 7 out of 10.

I l ived in Atlanta for over 16 years and agree with below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I'll get this thread back on track by speaking about the city I currently live in instead of ranking cities for their level of trashiness...

Atlanta

I'd give it a 6/10. Unfortunately there a lot of litterbugs here, which is a shame because it's such a lush city in terms of the heavy tree canopy, which somehow makes the litter seem more out of place. I've been here over ten years, and the litter seems to get progressively worse. A while ago I drove some visitors to a baseball game downtown and the interstate exit I used to get to the ballpark was strewn with trash. One of the passengers exclaimed, "we're in the ghetto!" (we were actually entering the government district near the ballpark).

The city does do a fairly good job of periodically picking up trash at the sides of the highways - these cleanups often proceed a big event in town, as the city wants to spruce up the place before the arrival of visitors.

In addition to being bad for the environment and unsightly, litter also poses other problems. When driving on the interstate, I often notice that storm sewer grates are partially and sometimes almost completely covered with litter & other debris (leaves, weeds etc.). During a heavy rain storm a few years ago, a section of the interstate that I use to get to work was flooded because of the clogged grates. The TV news that night showed a worker standing in water up to his waist using a long stick with a hook to clear the drains so that the water could flow again into the storm sewers. Fun!
Once you get outside of downtown and Buckhead, Atlanta is pretty trashy IMO. It is one of only a few things I dislike about the actual city of Atlanta. There is also a lot of homeless and beggars and I do think that makes it more trashy looking in a way.

I don't think it has gotten any worse, but it hasn't gotten any better either over the years. I visit often due to still owning property there.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:32 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Though I've never lived there and only visited, I would say San Francisco. Homeless people like white on rice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not to derail the thread, but I too was surprised after my last visit. It's astounding how many there are (even on the side streets). It doesn't feel pristine...that's for sure.
Indeed. For as much love as it gets on this site and elsewhere, SFO is remarkably trashy -- human and otherwise. I often wonder if the people who heap so much praise on SFO are talking about the same city that I've visited. It's shocking sometimes.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:52 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,855,427 times
Dayton OH 4/10

Many boarded up homes, overgrown lots, dangerous alleys.. the crime and trash has been increasing. Like any city, it has a couple nice suburbs (beavercreek). The downtown is realitivly clean but the rest of the city looks like no ones cares. Whole houses can go for $5000 or less!

One reason why were planning to move after next year.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:29 PM

126 posts, read 169,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
How does the Montrose area rank?
Montrose is clean, however the corner of westheimer/montrose you will sometimes see some homeless young people and some trash.
https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...FVLuYwodljYHQA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or