U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,444,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Back when I last visited Montrose I was living in Tampa in a neighborhood called the SoHo District. I know everything is up to personal preference but I felt like Montrose was very similar to SoHo but just not as clean and pretty. But Florida cities tend to go above and beyond with putting a glam on certain neighborhoods in their cities. The Soho district is highly regulated by the city of Tampa to keep the neighborhood as pristine as possible.
I think Montrose is better and more upscale than it used to be. Very pricey and popular. Not pristine, though. But many neighborhoods in the Houston metro are classy, upscale, and clean like West University (my favorite), Uptown, Memorial Villages, Meyerland, etc. Some areas are far from clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,444,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Tampa/St Pete to me is pretty run down and ghetto looking.
Although Florida cities certainly have great neighborhoods, there's something about Florida culture where parking cars in the yard is acceptable even in otherwise decent neighborhoods. I once brought that up in the Florida forum here, and responses seemed to be "what's wrong with that?". Never could figure out why parking vehicles on the lawn was acceptable. It's not trash, per se, but contributes to the overall impression of a neighborhood.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,997 posts, read 3,450,579 times
New York

Honorable mention: Los Angeles

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,391,619 times
Dallas, Texas 8.0 North Dallas and Suburbs are very clean especially for the amount of construction and traffic there is. The CBD north are very clean as well.south of town and west of town are a little older and industrial and not as clean. But the suburbs are spotless by in large and out toward Fort Worth as well.

Seattle was the cleanest large city I've ever been too. 10.0 easy, and Reno, NV and Wilmington Delaware the grossest. 2.0

Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
Although Florida cities certainly have great neighborhoods, there's something about Florida culture where parking cars in the yard is acceptable even in otherwise decent neighborhoods. I once brought that up in the Florida forum here, and responses seemed to be "what's wrong with that?". Never could figure out why parking vehicles on the lawn was acceptable. It's not trash, per se, but contributes to the overall impression of a neighborhood.

Yes I notice that also about the parking down here. That and something I find very annoying. I find neighbors not what I would call neighbors. At least in the mobile home park I am in. It's here today gone tomorrow type people. Or they are just plain standoffish people, that seem to have serious problems. Your lucky to ever get a hello even if you give one. As far as parking this really irks me. When a person goes away for an extended period, these so called neighbors take over your driveway. Parking in it whenever they like, thier constant guests using it as a free parking lot also. I don't know if this is a Mobile Home Park thing, a Florida thing or a southern thing, but I have never encountered it before. I can understand if someone asks, or you have a rapport with the neighbor. That is not the case that I see. To me it is trashy behavior. It explains why I have seen so homes with a rope tied across the driveway, when the people are out of town

Old 10-19-2015, 03:29 PM

8,964 posts, read 6,254,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I notice that also about the parking down here. That and something I find very annoying. I find neighbors not what I would call neighbors. At least in the mobile home park I am in. It's here today gone tomorrow type people. Or they are just plain standoffish people, that seem to have serious problems. Your lucky to ever get a hello even if you give one. As far as parking this really irks me. When a person goes away for an extended period, these so called neighbors take over your driveway. Parking in it whenever they like, thier constant guests using it as a free parking lot also. I don't know if this is a Mobile Home Park thing, a Florida thing or a southern thing, but I have never encountered it before. I can understand if someone asks, or you have a rapport with the neighbor. That is not the case that I see. To me it is trashy behavior. It explains why I have seen so homes with a rope tied across the driveway, when the people are out of town
Its a FL thing.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 PM

373 posts, read 265,190 times
OMG Los Angeles is number #1 all the way to me.

#2Newark.

The parts of SFO I was in was very nice. I went to various parts. I thought it was clean compared to LA YUCK.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:33 AM

8,000 posts, read 16,048,592 times
San Francisco shocked me the most with the amount of litter and waste of all types (particularly human). I think part of the reason the shock factor was so huge was because it's a city that's notorious for how beautiful it is and I wasn't expecting it (whereas NYC gets a reputation for being dirty and often doesn't come across as dirty as the reputation leads one to believe). So expectations played a role. Chennai, India was the dirtiest city I've been to.
Detroit probably takes the cake in the United States for me.

Seattle was probably the cleanest I've been to in the U.S., but Chicago surprised me with how clean it was (again, expectations- I expected gritty/rust belt and found clean, modern metropolis- I was young) too. Tokyo was the cleanest city in the world I've been to. Anything in Japan is pretty clean (I've been to Kyoto, Nagano, Matsumoto, Sapporo, etc).

Old 10-20-2015, 10:46 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
San Francisco shocked me the most with the amount of litter and waste of all types (particularly human). I think part of the reason the shock factor was so huge was because it's a city that's notorious for how beautiful it is and I wasn't expecting it (whereas NYC gets a reputation for being dirty and often doesn't come across as dirty as the reputation leads one to believe). So expectations played a role. Chennai, India was the dirtiest city I've been to.
Detroit probably takes the cake in the United States for me.

Seattle was probably the cleanest I've been to in the U.S., but Chicago surprised me with how clean it was (again, expectations- I expected gritty/rust belt and found clean, modern metropolis- I was young) too. Tokyo was the cleanest city in the world I've been to. Anything in Japan is pretty clean (I've been to Kyoto, Nagano, Matsumoto, Sapporo, etc).

When I lived in the Tokyo area I was amazed, at how clean everything was. I would always see shopkeepers and homeowners sweeping the sidewalks, and walkways around their property.

For a beautiful city in its setting. I agree San Francisco has some filthy areas.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM

1,019 posts, read 895,432 times
Living in Phoenix now and I can say it is clean compared to most US cities I've been. I've lived in Singapore for 10 years and Phoenix cleanliness is nothing compared to Singapore.

Been to Colorado Springs last month and it is as clean as Phoenix minus the green.

Big cities like Las Vegas, San Francisco and LA are tend to be dirty and that is attributed to the number of population that is not proportion to the cleaners.

San Francisco streets are mostly clean but one thing I don't like are those hills full of houses, I'm expecting hills to filled with greens and not townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or