U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,445,227 times

Advertisements

My city of Austin has become dirty and unsightly in the last year. Litter is pervasive, medians are infrequently mowed, and weeds grow through cracks all over the place. It seems that the problem may be the result of a huge influx of people along with low budgets for basic services. One of the worst trash problems is along freeways, as the Department of Transportation doesn't have the funds to keep the freeways clean on a regular basis (thanks to our legislature that provides minimal funding for basic services). City streets and medians aren't maintained very well either. And anywhere there are transients at a busy intersection, there's trash left behind.

I'm going to look into the prospect of getting multiple local businesses involved in regular cleanups with funding and employees. Businesses getting involved in keeping the keeping the city aesthetically pleasant would be a great public service.

Two questions:

1. How would you rate your city with regarding to cleanliness, including the amount of roadway/highway trash, weedy lots, weeds growing through cracks, etc.

2. If your city is looking good, how has that been accomplished? Good cleanup budgets, volunteer work, business involvement?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 12:55 AM

7,087 posts, read 4,091,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post

Two questions:

1. How would you rate your city with regarding to cleanliness, including the amount of roadway/highway trash, weedy lots, weeds growing through cracks, etc.

2. If your city is looking good, how has that been accomplished? Good cleanup budgets, volunteer work, business involvement?

Thanks!
Phoenix, Arizona

1. 7.5/10 for the most part it is as clean as a desert city can be, it is less dusty then comparable cities like Tucson, Las Vegas, Albuquerque or El Paso. Freeways are large, fresh, and rubberized so they are very silent, wide and plentiful. Some areas have bad freeways like some areas along I17 or the 202 between I10 and 44th St., surface streets are hit and miss especially in poorer areas of town. Pollution is worse on the Southern end and Southwestern areas, one area is the most polluted area in the U.S. but by contrast some areas norther of Phoenix have some of the cleanest air in the US

2. As politically correct as possible, we have a large neighbor to the south with a steady flow of cheap labor constantly available to do menial tasks at very low prices. The Dept of Corrections also has inmates cleaning up some streets/buildings as well. Other methods are usually creative taxes that take advantage of industries like our large tourism industry, some less favorable methods include HURF sweeps which is arguably bad if you don't live in Maricopa County but that's another topic.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 AM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,307 times
Every city has trashy areas.... Every city has nice areas too.

While I have always enjoyed my times there, I did feel like Houston was a bit dirty.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
I dont know of too many that are completely trashy.

Take my city of Houston. If you are in the Post Oak, West U, or River Oaks areas, they are some of the classiest areas in the country.

If you are in East Houston from Waco St. out to Baytown or by Hobby Airport, it will feel like the most trashy city in the US.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
Providence is very clean.. I'd rate it 8 out of ten. there is a "task force" of people that walk around downtown sweeping the streets all day. there are a few pockets of litter here and there, like any city, but Providence has come a long way in the past 20 yrs. there was a time when it was realy dirty and rundown, but since the rennassance it is like a whole new city .. and i think people have more pride in it than they used to, so i think that helps keep it clean.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,935 times
The worst I've ever seen was Philly in the 90s, but it's come a long, long way since then.

Parts of San Francisco are pretty bad, but most of the city is immaculate.

Syracuse, New York is still pretty bad. Between the lack of alleys and busted up sidewalks that haven't been replaced in 30 years, it's not looking too hot.

Parts of Baltimore are really bad. I was just walking near the Green Mount Cemetery on the Eastside, and it was a swamp of busted liquor bottles and fast food wrappers.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:51 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,831,308 times
Though I've never lived there and only visited, I would say San Francisco. Homeless people like white on rice.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:25 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
New Jersey Cities.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Though I've never lived there and only visited, I would say San Francisco. Homeless people like white on rice.
Not to derail the thread, but I too was surprised after my last visit. It's astounding how many there are (even on the side streets). It doesn't feel pristine...that's for sure.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,539,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
The worst I've ever seen was Philly in the 90s, but it's come a long, long way since then.
Definitely. I lived there then. Even today, the Airport is a filthy first impression for someone.

When I travel through the BF regions of WV or KY, its disgusting that people will seemingly just dump massive amounts of bags, tires and other random garbage all over the back roads. Gorgeous scenery marred by regular roadside dumpage. Sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or