U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:26 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Interesting lol. Almost sounds like you should come take a visit again
La Colombe's HQ is right on Frankford: Cafes – La Colombe Coffee Roasters
Pizza Brain is often ranked one of the best pizza places in the US: press | pizza brain
One of the best Beer Gardens: Frankford Hall,Philadelphia - America's Best Beer Gardens | Travel + Leisure
New boutique hotel: Changing Skyline: Developer Roland Kassis transforming Fishtown into hip haven - philly-archives

So much going on these days.
It's been going on for awhile and I am familiar with the current situation via friends and recent visits. While there are some shiny new additions and the almost too good to be true arrival of hipsters (sarcasm intended), embellishments aside it's still all in all a filthy pit of a city. Shining example, ride Amtrak into town from any direction...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 2,781,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's been going on for awhile and I am familiar with the current situation via friends and recent visits. While there are some shiny new additions and the almost too good to be true arrival of hipsters (sarcasm intended), embellishments aside it's still all in all a filthy pit of a city. Shining example, ride Amtrak into town from any direction...
you really are an embarrassing troll. Trying to say that downtown durham is even comparable is laughable. Like honestly laughable (especially considering dinky little downtown Durham is more dangerous!!).

Amtrak travels right through the absolute worst part of the city: https://www.google.com/#q=amtrak+phi...12&rlfi=hd:;si:

Its cool. keep pushing your little personal vendetta. I will keep shooting you right out the sky.

Also Sanford, FL has a population of 56,000 and a poverty rate nearly identical to Philadelphias. Are you serious!?!?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
you really are an embarrassing troll. Trying to say that downtown durham is even comparable is laughable. Like honestly laughable (especially considering dinky little downtown Durham is more dangerous!!).

Amtrak travels right through the absolute worst part of the city: https://www.google.com/#q=amtrak+phi...12&rlfi=hd:;si:

Its cool. keep pushing your little personal vendetta. I will keep shooting you right out the sky.

Also Sanford, FL has a population of 56,000 and a poverty rate nearly identical to Philadelphias. Are you serious!?!?
Speaking of vendettas, what is it about Philly that breeds such homers? It's seemingly rampant for some reason as evidenced by the rest of the Philly C-D posters (we all know who they are) who sit around all day on this website and shake their little poms poms over your toxic waste of a city. Furthermore, I'm not comparing Downtown Durham to Philly if you can wrap your little brain around that....try rereading and mouthing the worlds slowly. Seriously....

Lastly Sanford's poverty rate and squalor is limited to an area about 2 miles by 2 miles and isn't freaking everywhere like it is in Philly. Nice try for an amateur though!

Old 10-13-2015, 12:07 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,781,093 times
Quote:
Speaking of vendettas, what is it about Philly that breeds such homers?
you literally start your response by trying to change the subject? I cant defend my city when you are writing that it is "a filthy wasteland"? You serious?

Quote:
Furthermore, I'm not comparing Downtown Durham to Philly if you can wrap your little brain around that....try rereading and mouthing the worlds slowly. Seriously....
Your previous statement:
Quote:
I can offer a another perspective of how things have changed, in the reverse. Durham has become everything North Raleigh is not with actual urban character (old tobacco warehouses, etc) and vibrant downtown neighborhoods, still not transit buzzworthy but definitely more walkable/bikeable, nice redeveloped greenspace, a nationally recognized restaurant scene (yep really, google it), is now one of the most educated cities in the US on average which has lead to the expansion of an already impressive cultural/arts community. All minus the filth and safety issues associated with the "big city".
so what exactly where you comparing? Center City and Downtown Durham? South/Olde Kensington and Downtown Durham? North Raleigh and DT Durham? I am pretty sure you just tried to imply that downtown Durham has all the amenities like an actual city like Philadelphia without the "filth and crime". Tell me how many people have a college degree in durham and how many have a college degree just in the core neighborhoods of Philadelphia?

Quote:
Lastly Sanford's poverty rate and squalor is limited to an area about 2 miles by 2 miles and isn't freaking everywhere like it is in Philly. Nice try for an amateur though!
So the Northeast, South Philly, Lower North Philly, the Northwest, University City AND Center City are dangerous, flilthy, and rundown? Lol you should meet my friend Steeps. Sorry Statistics are actual apples to apples comparison. Due to property crime being so much higher in Sanford, Fl., if I moved there, chances are higher I would be a victim of crime there!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,463,499 times
Quote:
you literally start your response by trying to change the subject? I cant defend my city when you are writing that it is "a filthy wasteland"? You serious?
Your previous statement:

so what exactly where you comparing? Center City and Downtown Durham? South/Olde Kensington and Downtown Durham? North Raleigh and DT Durham? I am pretty sure you just tried to imply that downtown Durham has all the amenities like an actual city like Philadelphia without the "filth and crime". Tell me how many people have a college degree in durham and how many have a college degree just in the core neighborhoods of Philadelphia?

So the Northeast, South Philly, Lower North Philly, the Northwest, University City AND Center City are dangerous, flilthy, and rundown? Lol you should meet my friend Steeps. Sorry Statistics are actual apples to apples comparison. Due to property crime being so much higher in Sanford, Fl., if I moved there, chances are higher I would be a victim of crime there!
I would never call today's University City, Center City and just South of CC dirty and rundown.... BUT OMG. You can't gentrify much of Philly fast enough to not gain the dirty and rundown.... even your Fishtown. many boast is gentrifying. A bland plain row with no yard or frontage.... is still that if you add $100.000 to its interior and Sell, it for $350.000. My opinion......

I just thought I'd streetview it lately and not my idea of paying $300,000 gentrified there.... far more still in need. But the outsides change little or streets.

But you can remodel any building inside... but if it on the outside is a plink bland row.... craftsman and FINERIES of the era was not built into them.... THEY WERE ASSEMBLY-LINE SIMPLE HOMES BUILT FOR THE MASSES WITH LITLE ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICNCE. Some in Philly see All is historical

It remains my LEAST PREFERED CHOICE OF HOUSING. Outside of Philly in PA it is ALWAYS the cheapest housing in a small town or moderate sized city.

Still far too easy to find blight with streetview in Philly. Sorry improving does not mean ALL find these ROW blocks ALL THAT.... even cleaned up. I live among Rows and Double homes. Their cheap and loveable.... that is it.

YOU CAN'T ELEVATE PHILLY IN OTHERS EYES.... TO BASH OTHER CITIES. NEVER WILL WORK. PHILLY CHOSE TO GIVE ITS MASSES THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WILLIAM PENN WANTED. A" Greene Countrie Towne.
But perverting of William Penn's original plan for Philly. Which was to give all residents space for a garden, neighborhood squares or green space. Not all what the city long ago.... allowed developers, investors and speculators to pervert the "Greene Country City" plan of Penn. To get more tight Rows into more blocks.

William Penn was known to say that for every acre of city street in Philadelphia, care should be taken that five acres of green should lie beside it. This is what Penn called a ''fine Greene Countrie Towne.''
Row Houses | Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia. As a result, Philadelphia’s streets, alleys, and courts were lined with relatively homogenous structures of predictable form and design.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:23 PM

4,453 posts, read 7,520,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
But you can remodel any building inside... but if it on the outside is a plink bland row.... craftsman and FINERIES of the era was not built into them.... THEY WERE ASSEMBLY-LINE SIMPLE HOMES BUILT FOR THE MASSES WITH LITLE ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICNCE. Some in Philly see All is historical
You're very much over-simplifying things all around. Philly is certainly still "rough around the edges" in many parts, but there are nuances to every block of the city.

Also, in terms of housing stock, certainly there are many areas with a more simple rowhouse style, without many architectural flourishes, but make no mistake about the inherent value of a solid brick rowhome, with solid wood interiors being the default. Keep in mind that when homes were being built "for the masses" 75 years ago, the level of craftsmanship was FAR higher for even the most basic of homes than it is today.

You've made it abundantly clear that you're not a fan of rowhomes, but they obviously have appeal to many people, even those of a more simple architectural form. A brick rowhome is truly a timeless and very unique form of residential architecture, and it's fantastic to see so many of them brought back to wonderful condition by plenty of people who can appreciate their undoubted historic value. They may be a dime a dozen in Philly, but in literally every other city/town outside of the Mid-Atlantic US, they're almost unheard of. It's a built environment that absolutely provides immense character and a sense of place.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-14-2015 at 10:35 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 AM

1,592 posts, read 891,087 times
Quote:
all in all a filthy pit of a city. Shining example, ride Amtrak into town from any direction...
Take Philly, place directly in toilet.

Or build a giant, porcelain toilet bowl wall around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.