U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 06:18 AM

138 posts, read 197,354 times

Advertisements

Every big city in America has tourist attractions to draw people in. Sometimes these attractions end up being traps, taking peoples money and leaving them disappointing in the end.

I'm from Seattle and I always tell people to avoid the Space Needle. You wait in line for 2 house pay almost $20 per person just to take an elevator up to get a mediocre view of the city from behind a chain link fence that was put up to stop people from jumping off because they are so depressed that they just wasted their money. There are much cheaper places to get much better views and without long lines.

What tourist attraction in your city should people avoid like the plague?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 07:54 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,134,735 times
Hollywood. So overrated, tacky, dirty and crowded. Locals know it's not worth visiting and we cringe when our out-of-town friends want to "do Hollywood."

Old 10-13-2015, 07:59 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,129,887 times
Hollywood and Highland, aka the area where the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre, celebrity handprints, Dolby Theater, etc. are. It's one big tourist trap with people in pitiful costumes, homeless folks, and weirdos in general. The shopping center is nice, however. I always find it amusing when I'm down there and a tourist tells me they're there to see a celebrity. Hollywood is the LAST place celebrities will be caught in.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:16 AM

8,061 posts, read 16,104,972 times
Quincy Market/ Faneuil Hall. It's not that it's a bad place. It isn't. Architecturally and aesthetically, it's actually pretty neat. It's just that it's morphed into a tourist trap. It's chalk full of overpriced chains (though there are a few decent food stalls that offer "locals discounts") and it's often pretty crowded. If you want to see Colonial Boston, Quincy Market/ Faneuil Hall isn't where to go. If the Freedom Trail is Boston's most important attraction (essentially a "living museum"), Quincy Market/ Faneuil Hall is the gift shop.

Last edited by lrfox; 10-13-2015 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or