Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 04:53 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 05:49 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Although I do agree that when Latinas are skinny, they are usually the most attractive ones in the room. But I've rarely seen fit Latinas who are of lower income.
I'm around a lot of lower income Latinas and the women are

Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
To try and keep this as objective as possible, my simplistic definition of physically attractive is, at the very least: straight teeth (none missing), good skin, healthy weight, and balanced facial features or close to it. Beyond that, it's up for argument of course.

I have lived and traveled in many different cities from coast to coast and associated with people of all socoioeconomic backgrounds and races and it is undeniable and hard not to notice that the poorer folks are generally not as attractive as rich folks. And this is going by my above qualifiers, not based on clothing or other assets that can be enhanced by choice (makeup, plastic surgery, etc). Obviously, poorer folks can't afford to eat good diets so that affects their weight and skin. And genetically, I guess rich folks have an advantage as rich men can choose attractive wives and their kids have a better chance of being attractive. Perhaps.

So anyway, my question is: are there any areas of the US where it's not uncommon to see physically attractive people in the lower income bracket? Are there cities in which the poor folks are not overwhelmingly obese?
What do you look like Miss America?

Old 11-04-2015, 11:29 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What do you look like Miss America?
LOL ... good one!!

Old 11-04-2015, 02:49 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Generally poverty is closely linked to things like obesity, smoking, alcohol/drug abuse, poor nutrition- all things that make someone unattractive.

I don't see why geographic area would factor in.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:02 AM

854 posts, read 1,703,146 times
This thread is ridiculous. How about ugly rich people?

Old 11-05-2015, 09:44 PM

337 posts, read 405,791 times
Generally in Hispanic/Latino neighborhoods. They may be poor but the women are hot (if skinny).

Plenty of hot women in poorer parts of LA, Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego etc.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times
Thank you to those of you who actually gave a straightforward answer, rather than crying foul at the very sound of anything to do with physical looks.

People make threads all the time on here saying they want to live in an outdoorsy city with active people, an academic city with smart people, etc. These are equally as exclusive and discriminatory. It's all about trying to find people who you fit in with and people who share the same social experiences. I myself am low income and beautiful (naturally...just trust me for the purposes of this discussion). It's caused a lot of problems (beyond my control - again, trust me for the purpose of this discussion) in the workplace, in public, and in social settings. I'm wondering if there's a place out there with people like me.

Last edited by skidamarink; 11-05-2015 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Thank you to those of you who actually gave a straightforward answer, rather than crying foul at the very sound of anything to do with physical looks.

People make threads all the time on here saying they want to live in an outdoorsy city with active people, an academic city with smart people, etc. These are equally as exclusive and discriminatory. It's all about trying to find people who you fit in with and people who share the same social experiences. I myself am low income and beautiful (naturally...just trust me for the purposes of this discussion). It's caused a lot of problems (beyond my control - again, trust me for the purpose of this discussion) in the workplace, in public, and in social settings. I'm wondering if there's a place out there with people like me.

Sorry to hear that. I think there is what I would call the "anti beauty" movement in this country. There seems to be pressure among white women in lower socioeconomic categories to totally let themselves go and pay no attention to their physical appearance. They expect all women to conform to this and they hate on those who look pretty.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:

Are you in Seattle, and did the people there make you develop a complex? I'm asking seriously.

I know the people there tend to down people for having qualitative attributes, because for some reason that diminishes the "greater good". You know, if "it's not good for everybody, it's not good at all".

Anyhow, your experience could have just as well happened somewhere else. I mean, imagine working at a K-Mart in Yakima, for example (lots of Latinos, generally poor). If you are better looking, you'll have one of two outcomes (or both). One, the opposite sex will lust after you, to the point of annoyance; and/or two, the same sex will gossip/be jealous of/plot against you; regardless if they are also above-average looking, or are also low-income.

Beauty can be intimidating. That being said, Southern California is as good a place as any for this. Even the rich people are poor there; and most everybody looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.