U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,566,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
People often leave at the back of their minds that perhaps the Confederacy's most famous army, The Army of Northern Virginia hails from there, not to mention Robert E. Lee's mansion with slave quarters visible from parts of Washington, DC's mall. You definitely can't deny it's southern history (and for the majority of Maryland for that matter). Tysons Corner feels like a bigger Buckhead with its highways, windy roads, new urbanist development, and a very sterile feel. The biggest problem I feel is that people need to acknowledge that this is the 21st century version of Virginia; thanks to better technology, cultural differences are not only more similar to areas more abroad, but also are more accepting to diverse cultures just like an increasing number of places, not just being black & white. Sure, history can be acknowledged, but only in a proper manner (no Confederate flags on public buildings, etc.) that should more involve how the area means to us. Then again the more rural/bypassed areas of the state such as Southside and parts of the Appalachian region tend to be poorer/less educated/more conservative/religious and even though they aren't quite as aware of the history, tend to retain long-term traditions more such as growing ham, tobacco, or attending Sunday Services every week.
I agree about the army of northern virginia, I had an ancestor that were part of stuart and lees army of northern virginia and one was part of mosbys rangers. I dont think people realize how deeply confederate alot of DC and Maryland were at that time as well, Virginia and Maryland were alot more connected too, not just as suburbs of DC like now.

I still have family in northern virginia and alot those old families from the FFV (first families of virginia) are still there in northern virginia and around virginia, not just in horse and hound country in loudon. You just have to get past the traffic in northern virginia and find the right places, that aristocratic culture is not politically correct but it still permeates alot of virginian culture

I just think that when some people talk about is a place still "southern", they mean is it a red state or a blue state, right wing or left wing. It is not a bad indicator buts its not always accurate. I definitely think some of northern virginia can go blue but not all of it, it is a group of very different counties like alot of maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
If you prefer the conservative, religious, laid-back southern style of living, then you will feel as out of place in Northern Virginia as you will in New Jersey.

Northern Virginia is all about money, careers and college degrees. Nobody will care about you if don't value those things. It is DC through and through.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:15 AM

29,934 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you prefer the conservative, religious, laid-back southern style of living, then you will feel as out of place in Northern Virginia as you will in New Jersey.
That sort of living isn't out of place in wide swaths of south Jersey.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:23 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,365,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Northern Virginia is all about money, careers and college degrees. Nobody will care about you if don't value those things. It is DC through and through.
That makes it sound like Northern Virginia is full of shallow people who only value their careers and money. While some of that is true, the one thing it also shares in common with the rest of the state is its very family oriented.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 PM

435 posts, read 333,320 times
Virginia is a southern state.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Is all of northern Virginia really that not-southern? Or is it just the 3-4 counties that are part of the DC metro?
Loudoun county and Price William counties have western parts that are culturally southern. However, Fairfax county, Alexandria, Arlington are more like the DC suburbs and virtually not southern at all. Although, I am sure there are old southerners still living in these areas hard to notice them with the flood of out-of-staters that have moved to the area in the past 10 years.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:42 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDude25 View Post
Loudoun county and Price William counties have western parts that are culturally southern. However, Fairfax county, Alexandria, Arlington are more like the DC suburbs and virtually not southern at all. Although, I am sure there are old southerners still living in these areas hard to notice them with the flood of out-of-staters that have moved to the area in the past 10 years.
It's not just transplants. Urban development carries with it a certain attitude that you will see in any people over time. I'm sure there are plenty of native Virginians from the area who are culturally aligned to it.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:44 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,541,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
That makes it sound like Northern Virginia is full of shallow people who only value their careers and money. While some of that is true, the one thing it also shares in common with the rest of the state is its very family oriented.
The kind of family that lives well in Northern Virginia is one where the household income is around $200k or greater. That's what I'm getting at. Not necessarily making a value judgment about it.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's not just transplants. Urban development carries with it a certain attitude that you will see in any people over time. I'm sure there are plenty of native Virginians from the area who are culturally aligned to it.
Virginia Beach is urban yet it remains a culturally southern city and it is the largest city in Virginia. It really is the transplants from the northeast and elsewhere.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:37 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,542,021 times
Default Yes, VA is culturally southern

I live in northern VA for over a year, and it felt Southern to me. I think all of VA is uniquely southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or