U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,975 posts, read 3,456,237 times

Advertisements

The cultural shift to the south does take place in Virginia, and it's hard to pin point where, but I'd say it's somewhere around Fredericksburg. Once you get to that point and below it starts to becomes obvious that the south is beginning. Although I would say this is only "South Lite" because Richmond and Tidewater are more like the tip of the iceberg especially when comparing then to Deep South places like GA, AL, MS. The accents you hear there have some country twang especially in Richmond/Petersburg, but are not full blown southern accents, again more like "South Lite" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 12:42 PM

8,981 posts, read 4,107,118 times
Yes, except for NoVA.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:01 PM

998 posts, read 882,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol Hampton Roads is definitely southern and the people there have no qualms happily telling you it's the south especially places like Williamsburg.
You're pretty much mistaken dude, ESPECIALLY about Williamsburg. I live here, you don't. This area has way too many transplants to be DEFINITELY southern. It's a mixture of midwest, west coast, northeast and everywhere in between, brought to you by the people who live here originating from all those places.
My neighbors on the left are from Michigan, on the right from California, two doors down from Utah, across the street from Alabama and to their right from Minnesota, none of them, by the way, are in the military.
There is a southern feeling here because it's IN the south but the vibe is much more melting pot than southern. In that respect this area reminds me of SoCal more than any place I've been to in the country.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:04 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,481,289 times
People in NOVA talk like DC politicians but it is still Virginia, a southern state. Its overall history determines its southernness more than mere current events.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,364,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
You're pretty much mistaken dude, ESPECIALLY about Williamsburg. I live here, you don't. This area has way too many transplants to be DEFINITELY southern. It's a mixture of midwest, west coast, northeast and everywhere in between, brought to you by the people who live here originating from all those places.
My neighbors on the left are from Michigan, on the right from California, two doors down from Utah, across the street from Alabama and to their right from Minnesota, none of them, by the way, are in the military.
There is a southern feeling here because it's IN the south but the vibe is much more melting pot than southern. In that respect this area reminds me of SoCal more than any place I've been to in the country.
I'm in that area at least once a month lol but ok.

Like I said, it's southern and majority of the people who live there have no problem telling you that. Is it the deep south? no but it is southern.

Uh, I mean I respect your opinion but to me nothing about HR is comparable to SoCal -- socioeconomically, politically, culturally, etc... they are two different areas. The only thing they share in common is they have beaches.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:10 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People in NOVA talk like DC politicians but it is still Virginia, a southern state. Its overall history determines its southernness more than mere current events.
That's a load of crap. Northern Virginia hasn't been Southern for a long time. I'm not going to use ancient history to define a place unless it's still that way today.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:47 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,731 times
Fairfax county isnt , a third of the population is foreign born and around half of Fairfax County elementary school students currently speak a language other than English at home. Alot of Loudoun county is still pretty virginian, especially the horse country where my family lives is still very southern

I think this reminds me of people who argue about miami and some of southern florida still being southern , when they should be asking is it still American? "emigration" into northern virginia is miniscule compared to immigration into northern virginia

Last edited by floridanative10; 10-19-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 05:55 PM

781 posts, read 1,094,315 times
Its funny how VA is sooo southern but MD is w/o a doubt not lol, and why does horses keep getting brought up like that's a southern stamp because MD has wild horses also. CD is hilarious!

Old 10-19-2015, 06:11 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,565,731 times
I dont know if that post was directed me, but I have never said parts of maryland arent southern, there were and are deep connections to the south all over maryland , around the shore and many parts of maryland. By horse country I mean horse and hound country like middleburg and warrenton in loudoun county , alot of horse farms and hunts and equestrian events

Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,975 posts, read 3,456,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Its funny how VA is sooo southern but MD is w/o a doubt not lol, and why does horses keep getting brought up like that's a southern stamp because MD has wild horses also. CD is hilarious!
Did they stop breeding horses above the Mason-Dixon Line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or