U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 07:11 PM

12,476 posts, read 11,975,150 times

Advertisements

I know this is a bit off topic, but in my mind all threads skirt around this - at what point will "culturally southern" be so attenuated that the definition will have to change? I mean we're probably a generation away from the entire Atlantic Coast of the South (barring SC) and Texas from having a black, brown, and northern transplant electoral majority. Will the "real South" just keep retreating further and further, until it's nowhere but Mississippi and Arkansas in 100 years? Or will Southern just come to mean something else entirely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:18 PM

17,353 posts, read 19,620,797 times
Is there any sizable region of America today that is a shoo-in for the Democrat party and is still considered culturally southern?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:42 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,754,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know this is a bit off topic, but in my mind all threads skirt around this - at what point will "culturally southern" be so attenuated that the definition will have to change? I mean we're probably a generation away from the entire Atlantic Coast of the South (barring SC) and Texas from having a black, brown, and northern transplant electoral majority. Will the "real South" just keep retreating further and further, until it's nowhere but Mississippi and Arkansas in 100 years? Or will Southern just come to mean something else entirely?
People are always afraid of change.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:55 PM

781 posts, read 1,097,731 times
@Eschaton if we keep on with modern day definition of whats southern then in 50 years what will being southern really mean when all major metros have changed, to me VA is southern/mid atlantic just like NY is the northeast and mid atlantic at the same time

Old 10-19-2015, 09:01 PM

9,149 posts, read 4,169,393 times
I am one to say that just because an urban area has a lot of transplants and therefore has its Southern culture diluted, that does not make it less Southern. A lot of very prominent, truly Southern cities such as Richmond, Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, and Nashville have seen a lot of transplants and are therefore a lot more cosmopolitan than what one would expect from a truly "Southern" city. Yet I wouldn't say any of those cities are not Southern.

The only Southern city that such a case can be made for is Miami, but that is because of the way it was settled and the fact that South Florida was never deep-rooted in Southern culture like the northern part of the state was.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:30 PM

29,973 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Barring SC? Northern transplants are flooding the coast of SC to the point where Myrtle Beach and Charleston in particular are the fastest- and second-fastest growing metros on the eastern seaboard respectively.

Old 10-20-2015, 01:58 AM

998 posts, read 887,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I'm in that area at least once a month lol but ok.

Like I said, it's southern and majority of the people who live there have no problem telling you that. Is it the deep south? no but it is southern.

Uh, I mean I respect your opinion but to me nothing about HR is comparable to SoCal -- socioeconomically, politically, culturally, etc... they are two different areas. The only thing they share in common is they have beaches.
I was born and raised in Southern California and involved in the movie biz before moving to this area and can speak with a large voice of objectivity. One of the reasons we were attracted to this area was the feeling of "home" we got here. There is more of a live and let live attitude here than anyplace I've been to east of the divide.
For what its worth the largest commercial production studio in the country is here with SATELLITE LOCATIONS in LA and NYC.
Politics and socioeconomic nuances aside, it's the people here that make the place what it is and they are, to me, a lot like people in SoCal. They have been around the block and are open to new things and experiences and are chill in their cultural attitudes. They don't have deep parochial roots in the area and know all too well that the local and state politicians pulling the strings behind the curtain are full of crap and need to be swept out to sea.
The beaches and negative ions of Hampton Roads are the icing on the cake.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,129,586 times
You're talking about Studio Center, right? Thinking of trying to get some voice work with them when I move back.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 AM

998 posts, read 887,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
You're talking about Studio Center, right? Thinking of trying to get some voice work with them when I move back.
Yes Studio Center, they're doing some amazing things at the Beach with little fanfare involved. Their trajectory over the last few years has propelled them to the top spot in the country for this type of business.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:13 AM

7,073 posts, read 4,026,437 times
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or