Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 PM

10 posts, read 7,781 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions on affordable places to live for a single parent with 3 children on an income of $60,000 per year. Top priorities are excellent schools and access to great services for autism / mental health care. TIA for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 07:56 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Anything else?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by law3 View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on affordable places to live for a single parent with 3 children on an income of $60,000 per year. Top priorities are excellent schools and access to great services for autism / mental health care. TIA for your input!
Too open-ended. What field do you work in? In general, unless you are 100% telecommuting and taking an existing job wherever you go, you are going to earn more in high COL areas.

If you want to keep this at a completely general level, there are scads of rankings and statistics out there that compare median earnings with cost of living in different metro areas. Generally places in the midwest like Des Moines, IA and Akron, OH come out on top in those studies.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:35 PM

650 posts, read 868,071 times
Well there's plenty of places that would meet that. Detroit metro, Saint Paul MN area, etc would be contenders. We need more factors. Where do you live now? Your field?

Old 10-18-2015, 01:55 AM

Thanks so much for your responses! Sorry it was so general. I will not be working. I'll be living on a retirement of about 60-65k per year, and raising children who are middle school aged. Jobs and commuting are not an issue. Of greater concern are schools and mental health care for children that is not too far away.

If possible, I would love a place where people are active / outdoorsy. And I really, really can't do snow. Call me a wimp, but I've lived in California my whole life and I would rather be in sweltering heat than freezing cold and snow.

I have looked at lots of info online as far as cost of living which has been helpful, but I'm looking here for more personal / anecdotal information. I welcome any additional information. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out the Jacksonville FL area and in particular the southern suburbs of Ponte Vedra Beach and Julington Creek in St John's County (#1 school district in FL) or the northern suburbs of Fernandina Beach and Yulee (between Jacksonville and the GA state line) in Nassau County (#2 school district in FL). The Jericho School in Jacksonville's Arlington area is a very reputable school that works exclusively with Autistic children at all grade levels. You'll get about three to four weeks of "winter" but otherwise it should be an amenable climate change in a major metro area with plenty to do and a cost of living well below the national average. You'll also have access to top autism/mental health care at the Mayo Clinic-Jacksonville as well as University of Florida Health.

About CARD » Center for Autism & Related Disabilities (CARD) » Sections & Programs » Developmental Pediatrics » Divisions » Pediatrics » College of Medicine – Jacksonville » University of Florida
Psychiatry | UF Health Jacksonville | University of Florida Health
http://www.mayoclinic.org/department...try-psychology
The Jericho School for Children with Autism, Jacksonville, Florida

Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your responses! Sorry it was so general. I will not be working. I'll be living on a retirement of about 60-65k per year, and raising children who are middle school aged. Jobs and commuting are not an issue. Of greater concern are schools and mental health care for children that is not too far away.

If possible, I would love a place where people are active / outdoorsy. And I really, really can't do snow. Call me a wimp, but I've lived in California my whole life and I would rather be in sweltering heat than freezing cold and snow.

I have looked at lots of info online as far as cost of living which has been helpful, but I'm looking here for more personal / anecdotal information. I welcome any additional information. Thanks!
The weather aspect is unfortunate, because as a person with personal experience with one of the aspects you mentioned in the initial post, NY State has good services in regards to Autism/mental health. With that said, I believe that there are some good services in parts of NC, if I'm not mistaken. Hopefully, more people will chime in with suggestions, besides the very good one above.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:25 PM

Thanks again for the responses. Kyle that's some really helpful info! I will look into those places. Thank you!

Old 10-19-2015, 04:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:

Las Vegas.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
I won't speak to services, per se, but in regards to your income, people may be undervaluing it's real worth.

After all, as retirement you're not going to be paying FICA on it, almost certainly aren't putting any of it into other retirement accounts, and depending on the exact nature of it, parts/all of it may be exempt from state income tax in many states.

Where 60k for a working family might net to a take home of $3500-3700 or so, in your case it's probably more in the range of $4300-4800, no?

That's a pretty substantive swing in terms of what's affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.