U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 PM

111 posts, read 174,127 times

Advertisements

Washington may have been a late comer in terms of rolling out recreational marijuana dispensaries, but Colorado seems to be the "brand" for now in terms of notoriety on legal marijuana for media, tourism, and political reference. Oregon and Alaska are just getting started. However with states like Nevada certifying legal marijuana on the ballot in 2016, do you think it might give Colorado a run for its money? Massachusetts, Arizona, and a few other states (maybe even a dark horse state) may do the same since the issue has bi-partisan attention.

Nevada already has the niche for vice, legalizing marijuana will only propel its reputation on that front. But for now, Colorado's economy is doing very well, construction in Denver for high density apartments is booming. Will Colorado remain a cornerstone location for the industry? Or will other states march ahead and rake in the revenue, knocking down Colorado's niche?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 07:59 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,840,652 times
It was one if not the first and most publicized. As someone who has lived a long time in the region, I personally think it's a detriment. It's not the economic factors or anything, it just created a drain for sewage from the rest of the country.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:12 PM

9,441 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
It was one if not the first and most publicized. As someone who has lived a long time in the region, I personally think it's a detriment. It's not the economic factors or anything, it just created a drain for sewage from the rest of the country.
Yeah, I was in Denver for a few days back in August and I did notice there were a lot more homeless people than I was use to seeing in past trips there. I am however pretty impressed with some of Denver's growth, the Union Station area is pretty well done. By comparison though, the level of homelessness and "characters" shall we say around 16th Street didn't seem worse than any West Coast city. It doesn't seem like the sky has fallen on Colorado. It's just going through growing pains. It's rising, and it will likely fall, and then bounce back again. Denver has a history of booms and busts.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:31 PM

5,576 posts, read 3,716,373 times
It was first. Washington was 2nd. But Oregon 3rd has surpassed WA in their first week by a mile. (or mile-high)...

Oregon is offering no sales tax until the new year, so perhaps that is important.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,652,932 times
I always assumed it was because before this Colorado wasn't really known for anything, besides mountains. Almost everyone associates Washington with Starbucks and hipsters... so what was Colorado's unique thing? It is now legal weed.

Even if Nevada and California legalized marijuana, I think Colorado will still be known for being the pioneer, even though Washington's happened around the same time.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,076,267 times
I lived in CO from early 2010 until late 2014, when I moved to WA. My take is that 1) There are significant structural differences in the business setup between CO and WA, and 2) CO wanted to lead the way, while WA just wanted legal MJ.

Regarding structural differences, CO is "seed to sale"- meaning a person or entity can grow and sell, whereas WA uses distributers and requires a middleman. Next, the nature of Coloradans is much more openly vocal and enthusiastic in their activities, and cannabis is no exception. I actually feel like more people partake in the state of WA, but CO (almost exclusively Denver) has become the epicenter for marijuana business setups.

It was more of an inevitability for West Coast states, as it was already no big deal to possess or consume. And I don't think that cities like Seattle, Portland, or San Fran viewed legalization as that a big deal, whereas many in Denver definitely viewed it as an big opportunity to set up an industry.

CO's branding has been good- it's developed a rep for being a great place for outdoor recreation and relaxation (to the point where many of my friends that live there act a little surprised that other places have mountains, microbrews, and now legal MJ). In any case, it just makes sense to imagine CO as the ideal destination for a ski vacation (and enjoy a little mischievous mary jane while you're there).

Other states may even eclipse CO in total sales, but I think it will continue to be viewed as the pioneer and novelty destination for a while, at least until a number of other eastern states follow suit with legalization...

Old 10-15-2015, 08:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
CO's branding has been good- it's developed a rep for being a great place for outdoor recreation and relaxation (to the point where many of my friends that live there act a little surprised that other places have mountains, microbrews, and now legal MJ). In any case, it just makes sense to imagine CO as the ideal destination for a ski vacation (and enjoy a little mischievous mary jane while you're there).

Other states may even eclipse CO in total sales, but I think it will continue to be viewed as the pioneer and novelty destination for a while, at least until a number of other eastern states follow suit with legalization...
A valid appraisal. Many people that live here assume this is the only state in the nation with the Rocky Mountains. It's almost as if some aren't aware that the Rockies stretch from NM to Canada and also include NM, UT, WY, MT, and ID. But we are know as "THE Rocky Mountain State". John Denver helped a lot with that perception.

We have done a great job of branding over the years!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:47 PM

570 posts, read 802,582 times
I think what happens in 2016 (especially in California) will determine how much of a pot rep Colorado maintains.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Coloradans are masters of the stealth brag and passive-aggressive self-promotion.

"Man, Colorado sucks, sure weed is legal, but you have too many strains to choose from. It's just hard, ya know? Anyway, I am going boarding for the next three days since I am not getting enough hours at work. No, not at any mountain you've heard of, the powdery steeps keep everyone away. When you are alone on the triple you have to sit in the middle and the wind makes it hard to keep my jay lit. Kinda sucks."

Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM

34,706 posts, read 33,724,405 times
I'm going with the physical location guess. Colorado infects too many other states around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or