U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is safer: Austin or Nashville?
Austin 10 55.56%
Nashville 8 44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 11:17 AM

45 posts, read 55,470 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking to move to Austin or Nashville and safety is my top priority so I just wanted to know which city you guys think is safer/has less crime in general?

I did research online and came up with conflicting info. Many articles cite that Austin is one of the safest cities in the US; however, some sources give it a very bad rating in terms of both violent and property crime. Same for Nashville. Apparently that area has high crime too. I'm not sure what to believe (yes, I've visited but only for a few days).

I come from sheltered suburbs where crime is low (or petty), and I have no worries walking my dog alone late at night or running to the grocery store at midnight if needed. I want to continue that lifestyle.

I know there are always safe and dangerous neighborhoods of every city, but which city has the lesser degree of danger (violent crime)? Which is safer overall?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 PM

3,506 posts, read 1,704,338 times
Austin violent crime is 410 per 100k MR:-3-4
Nashville violent crime is 1,040 per 100k MR: 6-10
Los Angeles- 410 per 100k MR: 7-10
Long Beach- 575 per 100k Murder Rate:6-8
Compton- 1,270 per 100k Murder Rate: 36 per 100k
The OC
Santa Ana- 340 per 100k MR:3-4
Anaheim- 370 per 100k MR: 4-5

Old 10-15-2015, 05:42 PM

Thanks for those numbers NigerianNightmare!! That was definitely helpful. I see that Austin has the same MR as Santa Ana, and personally I would not live in Santa Ana (I lived on the border of it for 2 years and got my car broken into twice). BUT Austin is also more than double the size of Santa Ana, so that makes it seem better?

From your stats, it looks like Nashville has the highest crime (behind Compton). So if I had to choose based off that, I'd go with Austin!

Old 10-15-2015, 05:59 PM

3,506 posts, read 1,704,338 times
Were in Orange County do you live, unless you live in a small town, Santa Ana and Anaheim are as safe as it gets crime wise for cities 300,000+, also Austin has suburbs that technically are safer than it, same with Nashville. So you shouldn't count one out yet.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:47 PM

I grew up in Huntington Beach and now live around Irvine. Both cities are very safe, so I'm kind of looking for the equivalent in either Austin or Nashville. If you have any suggestions of nice safe suburbs or neighborhoods in these cities, please do let me know! Thanks so much for your help so far

Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,568,718 times
Austin is a very safe city, austin has a murder rate of 2.8 per 100,000. Alot of "violent crime" must be drunk college bar fights , it is definitely a bar and college oriented city and the capital as well, I have never felt much of a sense of crime there . One of the safer cities in the country. If you are looking for a city in texas I would check out this article The FBI's List of the Most Dangerous Cities in Texas - Texas Monthly

Old 10-15-2015, 10:38 PM

18,121 posts, read 22,989,204 times
I lived in Nashville area from about 1985 - 1990, so my experience is obviously out of date. But, I lived there with a husband and daughter and we didn't feel endangered. But, we also didnt' go into bad neighborhoods.

Back then, anyway, the area around where my daughter went to school at Stokes middle school, was a great area, and I also lived in the Franklin TN area before I got married, and it was really safe.

So, you can find safe neighborhoods in and around Nashville. Just don't go into any of the known bad neighborhoods.

I had a boyfriend who lived in Austin, when I lived in Nashville, and I'd visit him there regularly before he moved to Nashvile. It's also a very nice town. The two are very different - or were back then anyway. Austin was more a college town, where Nashville was not. Even though Nashville has Vanderbilt University, the university isn't a huge influence on the entire town. I felt like Austin was the opposite, that the college there was a huge influence, as opposed to just happening to be there, like VU in Nashville.

Interestingly enough, the music business in Nashville didn't permeate the entire town, either. There is Music Row, with bars and restaurants that cater to the music business crowd, and you'll see country stars in the pancake house and the Bluebird Cafe, etc. but other than it's niche, it's not the only game in town, either.

I found people in Texas to be much friendlier than anywhere else I've ever lived, including my beloved California. As far as the ability to make friends, I'd choose Austin.

When I was visiting Austin, there was also a music business scene there, but it also wasn't all that prevalent, and was not as prevalent as Nashville.

They're so very different in so many ways. If you told me I had to choose between the two and I had no other options, I'd choose Austin, just because I love Texans, even if I don't like the weather in either TX or TN.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,446,348 times
We do have a lot of property crime in Austin, but that seems to occur all over the country. You just have to use common sense. People who have their cars or homes broken into are often those who don't lock them. There have been some isolated terrible incidents, but that happens everywhere.

One trend I've read about is homes being broken into when people post their vacation schedules and photos on Facebook. Not very smart, but it happens all the time.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Thank you all for the additional responses!

newbern100 - thanks for the FBI list it was very helpful! I love how it mentions Austin as being inhabited by elves and hobbits hahaha. And a 2.8 MR is quite low so that sounds good to me

NoMoreSnowForme - thank you for the distinctions and similarities between Nashville and Austin. I never know what to think of college towns; they seem to have safe statistics but then again a lot of violence is perpetrated by college-aged men. I love that you find Texans to be the most friendly out of everywhere! That's a huge plus for Austin.

Weatherguy - very good safety tip in not disclosing vacation schedules via social media. There's no more privacy these days with the internet. Does this mean that the burglars know the people they are robbing personally? Because even if a person announces that he/she will be on vacation, how would a stranger find their exact home address?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.