U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:53 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,351,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
There is no such thing as a canadian accent.
Wow, thanks for clearing everything up!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 21,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Really? That's too bad. I, for one, find the stereotypical Canadian accent to be very charming, not to mention that I was just in Ontario last week and, at least in the areas of Essex County and Chatham-Kent where I was, "oat" (out) and "aboat" (about) are alive and well. I also love "proe-gress" (progress), "proe-cess" (process) and "AH-dlt" (adult).

I grew up in NW Ohio and have lived in SE Michigan for the past 18 years. I work as a telephone triage nurse and spend most of my work days speaking to people in California and Oregon. I have had several of them tell me that I have a Minnesota accent, a Michigan accent, or even a Canadian accent, all of which I proudly claim!

Accents and dialects make life interesting. Wouldn't it be boring if we all sounded exactly the same?
Yes it's considered low class. In Toronto "aboat" will get you fired pretty quickly.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,090 times
Quote:
Yes it's considered low class. In Toronto "aboat" will get you fired pretty quickly.
Wow, it is profoundly unprogressive to fire somebody for their accent.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:
I actually think it's more low class to copy someone else's dialect instead of embracing your own, especially when you consider what the U.S. is becoming in recent years. We have a lot of lowlifes down here. A lot of nice people too, of course, but a LOT of lowlifes. I am flattered when people tell me I have a Canadian accent.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:55 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,135,648 times
To my Western US ears, all are essentially Northern Cities Vowel shift variants. And I did use the word variants. There is some variance between parts of that mega region. But at the end of the day, it's the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

Now I'm gunna getta pop!

Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
To my Western US ears, all are essentially Northern Cities Vowel shift variants. And I did use the word variants. There is some variance between parts of that mega region. But at the end of the day, it's the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

Now I'm gunna getta pop!
No, Canadians don't have the northern cities vowel shift. That is purely an American Midwest thing. It hasn't even crossed the border into Canada. Canadian sounds almost entirely like a California accent with the exception of Canadian raising which isn't prevalent anymore (depending on your class)

Old 10-19-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I actually think it's more low class to copy someone else's dialect instead of embracing your own, especially when you consider what the U.S. is becoming in recent years. We have a lot of lowlifes down here. A lot of nice people too, of course, but a LOT of lowlifes. I am flattered when people tell me I have a Canadian accent.
Canadians aren't copying anything. A upper to middle class Canadian accent has always sounded like a California neutral accent. "Aboat" and "oat" is predominately spoken by the lower class population. Poor Canadians sound like bob and Doug Mckenzie.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:02 AM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:
Canadians aren't copying anything. A upper to middle class Canadian accent has always sounded like a California neutral accent. "Aboat" and "oat" is predominately spoken by the lower class population. Poor Canadians sound like bob and Doug Mckenzie.
That's interesting, because I have known and worked with very educated, professional, Canadian people who have a very clear "oat" and "aboat" accent, not to mention that many Canadian Olympic and otherwise professional athletes when interviewed on television speak that way as well.

Interesting too, that when you watch Canadian shows on HGTV, the very well paid, professional, hosts speak that way (Sandra Rinomato, Drew and Jonathan Scott, etc.) as well as the people they are working with who can buy homes in the $500,000+ range.

I'm not arguing with you, a Canadian, just saying that what you're telling us here surprises me very much based on my personal experiences. Also, I don't think that having an "oat" and "aboat" accent is the same thing as talking like Bob and Doug McKenzie. They exaggerate the accent to the nth degree, whilst throwing a couple of dozen "ehs" into every sentence. The only people I can imagine actually speaking like Bob and Doug McKenzie might be the ice road truckers or someone who runs a hunting lodge on Whiskey Lake, lol.

Last edited by canudigit; 10-20-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-20-2015, 06:53 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,071,101 times
I don't watch much television (at all), but every now and then, I'll watch some HGTV. You can always tell when a program is filmed in Canada. Accents might be subtle, but they're always there. The "aboat" debate....I've heard pronounced "aboat", and these don't appear to be lower class people. Just watch a little HGTV people, that will tell you all you need to know on this debate.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:36 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I don't watch much television (at all), but every now and then, I'll watch some HGTV. You can always tell when a program is filmed in Canada. Accents might be subtle, but they're always there. The "aboat" debate....I've heard pronounced "aboat", and these don't appear to be lower class people. Just watch a little HGTV people, that will tell you all you need to know on this debate.
With the northern cities shift accent the "northern raising" of the word "about" tends to put a bit more emphasis on the 'ow' sound portion of the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or