Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 04:40 PM

14 posts, read 11,385 times

Advertisements

What is the relationship between the North Central/Upper Midwest accent and the Inland North/Great Lakes accent? Furthermore, what is the relationship between these two dialects and Canadian English as spoken in Ontario and the Prairies?

All of these accents, while distinct, sound somewhat related to my ears, though I am by no means a proper linguist.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:54 PM

19 posts, read 29,956 times
Modern Canadian English sounds nearly identical to Californian English. I am Canadian and we do NOT have Midwest traits in our speech at all. Midwest and Canadian English is totally different. And we don't say "aboat" anymore in Canada, that's long gone.

Midwesterners get their accent from the Norwegians. And the "Canadian raising" (which is dead in Canada) that exists in this region is not from Canada, but from the additional scots influence.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
Modern Canadian English sounds nearly identical to Californian English. I am Canadian and we do NOT have Midwest traits in our speech at all. Midwest and Canadian English is totally different. And we don't say "aboat" anymore in Canada, that's long gone.
Really? Because Californians have some pretty distinct vowels that differentiate them from other American accents. I find that Canadian accents sound closer to a bog standard General American accent than Californian.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,068 times
Quote:

Midwesterners get their accent from the Norwegians. And the "Canadian raising" (which is dead in Canada) that exists in this region is not from Canada, but from the additional scots influence.
Trust me, Canadian raising and saying "aboat" are far from dead in Canada! To say they are long gone is ridiculous!
And there are some Midwestern traits in speech that do leach across the border, especially here in the Windsor area.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:31 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Trust me, Canadian raising and saying "aboat" are far from dead in Canada! To say they are long gone is ridiculous!
And there are some Midwestern traits in speech that do leach across the border, especially here in the Windsor area.
Not to mention there is a much larger swath of the Midwest who don't have roots in Norwegian than who do (German ancestry is probably the highest in most Midwestern states), meaning it definitely doesn't "define" the Midwest accent.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
That MAY be the case for you in Windsor as it's a working class city, but for those of us in Toronto "aboat" is uncommon and weird. I don't think you realize just how American younger people are sounding these days. We do NOT want to sound Canadian.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Not to mention there is a much larger swath of the Midwest who don't have roots in Norwegian than who do (German ancestry is probably the highest in most Midwestern states), meaning it definitely doesn't "define" the Midwest accent.
Germany, Norway, Sweden, Scottland, Finland, Holland.. That's where the Midwest speak came from. Immigrants of those descendants. It didn't come from Canada. 95% of the Canadian population lives in southern Ontario which no where near Minnesota. No Significant Canadian population live on the border with the upper Midwest either. See? They're not related.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreLine View Post
What is the relationship between the North Central/Upper Midwest accent and the Inland North/Great Lakes accent? Furthermore, what is the relationship between these two dialects and Canadian English as spoken in Ontario and the Prairies?

All of these accents, while distinct, sound somewhat related to my ears, though I am by no means a proper linguist.
One of the most distinctive linguistic features of this region as a whole is the Northern Cities Vowel Shift, which is present from Syracuse west all the way to Minneapolis.

Besides that, rural Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois tend to have more of a Midlands Accent; Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and the Dakotas have the more distinct North Central Accent. Michigan is interesting; in the Lower Peninsula, the accents can be close to those in Indiana and Ohio with a significant influence from Detroit's urban, working poor. The Upper Peninsula has one of the most distinct accents anywhere in the country, similar to-- but not identical to-- the accent found in Minnesota's Iron Range.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:56 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Right, the areas with the accent are generally not very well populated.

You can hear it most in the Michigan UP, northern Minnesota, North Dakota and maybe northern areas of South Dakota. There's a similar accent that often gets lumped in, although it came more from German than Norwegian, and it's in areas of Minnesota, South Dakota and maybe far northern Iowa.

The populated areas of the Midwest have nothing in common with this "norwegian" or "minnesota" accent as it's often called. In Minneapolis I don't hear it, they're pretty much "exempt" from the accent and also happen to have a majority of the population. Many people just roll their eyes when the accent is mentioned.

It's much more a folklore thing at this point than widespread. People associate it with the parody accent in the movie Fargo or Drop Dead Gorgeous - but that's a very extreme version of any accent you would hear in mainstream areas of those states.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-16-2015 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-16-2015, 10:19 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
Quote:
Modern Canadian English sounds nearly identical to Californian English.
I've tried to argue this multiple times in countless threads on CD and everyone acts as if I'm completely insane.

I think, in general, most Americans have no idea what Canadians sound like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.